hi i've decided to take the plunge into the windows phone environment. i have recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 710 as an upgrade from my old BlackBerry Curve 9300. I have bought it from Rogers here in Canada. I would like any advice on what I should expect in a windows phone and how it compares to BlackBerries. I am new to these forums.
    02-24-2012 03:29 PM

First of all a big welcome along to WPCentral emauthe. :)

I'm sure you'll be delighted with your new 710, hope you don't have to wait too long for it.

I'm sure you have loads of questions about Windows Phone, so have a wee look through the following post and you might be enlightened a little.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ion/181501.htm

If you have anything more specific to ask just ask away and we'll try and help you out. :)

I think you'll be delighted with just how simple and smooth WP is to use. :)

Will you like it more than your Blackberry ? Only you will know that. But I bet you do. :D
    Last edited by TheWeeBear; 02-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    02-24-2012 03:38 PM
    I have never used a BB before, but I think you'll get the hang of your new Lumia in no time. If you have specific questions I am sure I could be of help. Just reply here and ask away!
    02-24-2012 04:15 PM
    9300 is not that old ;) i came from 9700 (with a small detour on Android, but that was'nt pretty so I wont go there) and now finally on My Nokia Lumia 800.

Where should I start? Well, I could start with what it does not do compared to the BB. Backing up with Zune does not back up your setting, save games etc. But it does a good job keeping your synced items up to date and notifying updates when they bcome available. Lingering on OS updates, on BB I was used to just downloading the newest software and load it to the phone, we could even slice out specific parts of the OS or go with hybrid builds, no unlock or special tools needed. That cannot be done in WP, You have to wait until the updates are released by Your service provider or centrally by Microsoft and Nokia (there are two kinds of updates: Software Updates from MS and Firmware Updates from Nokia).

What it does do is to give You a less stressed user experience. On BB, even if I turned off all notifications and the LED, I would get them on the top of the screen in different colors of Yellow, red, green, blue or whatever. While some people actually prefer this and give WP some critisism that it does not have a central notification are, I actually prefer the more laid back approach of having the notifications splitted out over the different tiles and in the subtle white text as the icon. It is still easy to see them, but they do not draw unneeded attention to themselves like with other OS's.

I put it like this; "The Phone is here to serve me, i'm not here to serve the Phone. !"

The whole UI is complety different, exciting and very effective. You instantly feel the same cohesivenes as I loved in BBOS. There more routes to complete a task and usually the options you expect are where You expect them to be. You might miss folders, but they will come (supposedly) in a later update. You will also also miss Universal search if You used that in BB6.

Accounts integration. BB tried this with Social Feeds, but I never really bought it. With WP it is the People Hub and that is a completely different story. All the feeds are there, and you can interact directly with the contacts to get an overview of history etc, pics, etc. Especially I like the Family group which I have added on the home screen to se updates from them without having to open any app first and You can do the same with any other group you choose to create.

Pictures uploads automatically to Skydrive if you wish to do so. So even the pictures that You delete of the phone will always be available there, at least until You delete it there as well. Picture albums also shows your online albums from Facebook, Skydrive etc.

Mail has a nice flow to it, if You are on an Exchange Server You will appreciate the same options with moving to folders and flagging mails as with BB, but much more visually appealing. The only place the whole PIM is a bit disapointing is the calendar if You are used to working with weeks overview, but I have managed to embrace the Agende view which is very good and fluent. Another let down in the calendar section is the fact that You cannot search for appointments, at least not in the native one. There is one in Marketplace that makes it possible.

Internet Explorer is fast, I mean really fast compared to BB6, and it does a really good job rendering the pages. You will miss kayboard shortcuts for tabs, goto, search and so on, but that is the price for leaving the keyboard behind...

Marketplace is soooo much better than AppWorld. at least in my oppinion, but i'm from a small country in Europe and we have absolutely no development for BB. Marketplace is moving fast these days and MS is dedicated to bring as many of the top apps from other platform to this one as well. So far i'm not really missing anything specific, well may be a good third part browser.

Hardware wise. I'm not entirely sure if the screen on the 800 and the 710 is the same, but wauw, it is bright and colourful even in sunlight. Batterywise you will certainly feel that You go from a small screen to the bigger 3.7 inch 480x800. It takes its toll on the battery. But leave it on auto brightness and dial down the time out and it will last as good or better than the Storm and Torch series. On normal use I have 40-50% left in the tank at the end of the day, that is 10-15 less than i did on my Bold. One thing more about the screen. It touch responsivenes is amazing, i almost never miss a click, click wrong link or click instead of scrolling. It just works. Boot times well below 30 seconds is also veeery nice.

Summarized: I used to say that the BB Bold 9700 was the best phone i had ever had. Well... It WAS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-24-2012 04:30 PM
    I'm a heavy user. I hardly make a call but I do surf the internet, text, email and watch the odd YouTube video on my current blackberry curve 9300. I hope this is some help. I'd like to get the most out of the battery life with my heavy use on my lumia 710. I'd also like to minimize my data usage by using Opera Mini for my daily use on my bb curve 9300. I've a 6GB data plan and that's the most my carrier offers so far that I am able to get. I'd like to also know if there's a WeFi app for lumia 710 and other windows phone devices for automatic wifi management. I currently am looking forward to my phone upgrade of the lumia 710 that I hope to receive in about 7 to 10 days from now. I decided to buy myself a birthday gift of the Nokia Lumia 710 as my birthday present as my birthday is this Monday February 27. I've been waiting since last week and I hope my carrier will send out the order aka lumia 710 starting on my birthday. Sorry for the long post. I've just have lots of questions to ask.
    02-24-2012 06:49 PM
    What do you mean by a WiFi management app? To turn it on/off, or sense when your are in a known hotspot to turn it on. If the latter, then no,there is nothing available. Microsoft does a god job of managing WiFi within settings. As an FYI, my WiFi is on 24/7. In fact it has not been off in three weeks, about the time of my last soft reset. In static testing (screen off, WiFi on) WiFi on standby only drew about 4% of the battery in a typical 15 hour day. Not that WiFi will go to sleep about 30 seconds after your screen goes dark, unless you are streaming music, downloading a large file, or doing something that would keep WiFi running. While your phone is sleeping WiFi will turn on every 2 hours (for a few seconds) to check for mail, etc.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    02-24-2012 07:53 PM
    Excactly, just keep it running. A location based WiFi switch app would propably draw more power just checking your location. You can however turn off new network discovery notifications, unless You rely on random hotspots.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    02-25-2012 06:45 AM
    I would like to minimize my cellular data usage by connecting to open hotspots that I come across other than a couple of ones that my extended family has including our house wifi. That's why I'm asking if there's an app called Wefi as I do know that there's one for android as I've been researching for some apparently that I'd most likely use. I would prefer to connect to open hotspots automatically if I am able to especially when I'm traveling so I don't get roaming charges and a huge bill. My carrier Rogers says likely the Lumia 710 that I'd ordered will ship early this coming week.
    02-25-2012 08:51 AM
    While out and about, my phone will flash a toast at the top of the screen indicating, "WiFi Available". Tap on the message, and if unsecured,your phone will connect to the network. Have done this at McDonald's and Starbucks a couple times.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    02-25-2012 09:52 AM
    WP does remember all WiFi networks you ever attach to and automatically attaches to them again if you are in their coverage area. There are apps (WhereFi) in the marketplace that show the closest WiFi available.

WP8 Apollo will bring Opera Mini features like backend compression that should reduce bandwidth usage. Expect that update in the fall.
    02-25-2012 05:44 PM
    I also just switched from BlackBerry to Windows Phone. I love this phone. I echo what one person said which is that the only area that I dont feel is at least as good as BlackBerry is the calendar. I love the fluidity of this phone. I am certainly not a BlackBerry hater because I really liked my Bold Touch. I find the UI of this phone is really nice. The way everything integrates smoothly with skydrive, exchange and office 365 is great.

So welcome, I hope you enjoy your phone.
    02-28-2012 02:57 AM
    I just bought my Nokia lumia 710 the other day and cancelled my original order. I'm enjoying my upgraded phone so far. I'm glad that I switched to windows phone. I'm typing this from my wp7 Nokia lumia 710 device.
    speedtouch likes this.
    02-28-2012 10:35 AM
    I just bought my Nokia lumia 710 the other day and cancelled my original order. I'm enjoying my upgraded phone so far. I'm glad that I switched to windows phone. I'm typing this from my wp7 Nokia lumia 710 device.
    Welcome to Lumia Land!
    02-28-2012 10:41 AM
    I've been trying to convince the Blackberry diehards in our office to consider WP7. It's good to hear that you're enjoying the experience so far. Coming from a variety of mobile OSes myself, the calendar is my favorite feature of WP7. Best I've ever used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-28-2012 11:14 AM
    if anyone can give me an honest answer i'll appreciate it. i have a galaxy y but my phone usage makes for bad battery life. i can get either a bb9300 or lumia 710 from a friend. calls,texting surfing and networking is what i most need a phone for. which one of those would have the better battery life?
    10-03-2012 01:56 PM
    I came from a BB9780.

I've given the Lumia 710 a go since July and it is just not cutting it for me. Battery life is horrendous IMO. Simple things like cutting/pasting requires the digital dexterity of a neurosurgeon.

The screen for me is hard to see in sun light and you really can't type with one hand like you can with a berry.

I'll be switching back to the new BB10 when it comes out early next year.
    10-04-2012 07:49 PM
    I also came to a 710 from a BB 9300. Overall I find it a terrific upgrade.

I miss the keyboard, and a few other things like SD card support. And it's true that selecting and copying or cutting text is a pain in the 710. For texting or emails, the 9300 is I think better. Vlingo speech to text, which was free for a time, was more usable in the BB because it was easier to go in and correct text. Also, Vlingo allowed you to speak a text bit by bit, WP seems to erase the first bit of text when you speak another.

However, internet, contacts, NOKIA DRIVE! OMG perfect smooth GPS out of of the box, and the sound quality for listening to MP3's is WAY better than the BB curve... radio is great... I do wish I could put my whole MP3 collection on the 710, 8gigs is small... but I'm thinking my Skydrive, and I could access them if I need that way, I think...

Like the BB OS, little things often surprise and please me about how they work in Windows Phone, without studying any manuals, just work. I was a fan years ago of Windows Mobile, now I'm a fan of WP. Not a fanboy, but listen: I paid $150 for this phone via Mobilicity and I think it can do 90% or more of what an Iphone does. This is like... the sweet spot, competition brings something really good to market that costs a lot less.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-13-2012 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD