So i'm new to Windows Phone 7

Wh0mpu5

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
So i am new to the Windows phone world , i still have a blackberry i use most of the time , but i now have a Nokia Lumia 710. So what should i know , good apps , interesting things i can do, and so on .

I bought this cause it was relativly inexpensive , and i have very little experience in the windows phone experience and would like to experience it.

So give me as much info as you can to a new guy , and go from there , i will be purusing the forums to see what i can find.

Thanks

paradiseware.com

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, read through interesting forum posts. Lots of good information here. Have you installed Zune on your PC? I've found when searching the Marketplace for apps, you have to be persistent. In other words, if you don't find the app you're looking for, try different search words. With about 70,000 apps, you should be able to find something to fit your needs. But, their search doesn't find enough related apps, IMHO. Also, check windowsphone.com for getting-started tips.
Best Wishes,
Rick

stacero

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
AppFlow is a great app for browsing the marketplace more efficiently.

Carbon is far and away my favorite Twitter app.

I recommend Flixster over Fandango for movie listings, because it includes the Rotten Tomatoes rating for each film.

Foodspotting is a neat take on rating restaurants (via rating individual dishes at any given place).

Fuse is a great news app- simple select which feeds you want to follow, and it presents all the stories sorted by channel in a quick and visually engaging manner.

Metro Wall is a neat app for creating a cool wallpaper using your pictures (the Pictures hub lets you pull albums from your Facebook, so do that first and you'll be able to make a cool collage).

Weather Channel is a solid weather app, with the live tile flipping to the radar in your area.

WpFandora Pro is a great Pandora app, allowing you to pin live tiles of your favorite stations to your start screen.

Youtube Pro is probably the best Youtube app, with the ability to download videos in the background so you never have to start a video and hope your download speed keeps up, allowing uploads from your phone if you have a channel, as well as supporting all the basics (subscriptions, favorites, etc).

That's my must-have list. AppFlow can definitely point you in the right direction as well with the ability to browse by reviews, top download, good live tiles, and more.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Read all the Help and How-to pages. Sync all your music with Bing desktop or even over wi-fi if you want. When you press the search button at the bottom, you will have an music icon and it will listen to songs and tell you the name, like shazaam or soundhound. Click on the eye button and you can scan and search barcodes, search by words from text, and even copy text and paste it into a Word document. Get MetroRadio to handle Pandora streaming. Pin some live tiles to the main page, including a webpage you visit all the time.

I didn't know about WpFandora. I need to check that out.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So i am new to the Windows phone world , i still have a blackberry i use most of the time , but i now have a Nokia Lumia 710. So what should i know , good apps , interesting things i can do, and so on .

I bought this cause it was relativly inexpensive , and i have very little experience in the windows phone experience and would like to experience it.

So give me as much info as you can to a new guy , and go from there , i will be purusing the forums to see what i can find.

Thanks

First off, welcome to Windows Phone! Here's a helpful link to get you started: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-ca/welcome.aspx I hope you enjoy your Lumia!

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
welcome!! and great choice of phone with the lumia! I love mine, being new it might seem to be a big learning curve learning the new OS, but it is really not, you will find it very easy and you will find yourself being very productive.

as other's have said, yes browse the forums, don't be afraid to ask questions, and maybe make a list of apps you use on your blackberry and see what windows phone counterparts there are, all the basics should be covered, of course some apps aren't on windows phone yet but there are great alternatives.

some of my favs: ms weather v2, carbon, boxfiles for dropbox, the wpcentral app is a must :)

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to so far, I'm pretty pleased with my phone. The only thing that will suck is that I will be on the Pre Paid plan and rumor has it does not support Visual VM. Not a deal breaker, it would just have been nice. I just find the $30 100 mins unlimited everything else to be great for me. I hate talking on the phone! Is that odd?

I find the phone and OS to just be easier to use than even, should I go there, iOS. The social aspect of it is what I love.

en0x#AC

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I have to so far, I'm pretty pleased with my phone. The only thing that will suck is that I will be on the Pre Paid plan and rumor has it does not support Visual VM. Not a deal breaker, it would just have been nice. I just find the $30 100 mins unlimited everything else to be great for me. I hate talking on the phone! Is that odd?

I find the phone and OS to just be easier to use than even, should I go there, iOS. The social aspect of it is what I love.
I have the same plan and I love it. even if I go 100 minutes over it costs me 40 bucks instead of 80 at sprint or 100 bucks at att :p

yah and no vvm on prepaid sucks :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos