File Explorer

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Even with grey parts, its one or the other when it comes to secure vs insecure.

When you say android is a malware incubator, I think you've shown a heavy bias yourself. A moment ago w8 users were to blame, now, if google made it, its the os.

Windows, on a phone (wp8) would pwn. I truely don't understand why microsoft has hamstringed the wp os so severely. Its ok if there are reasons I can't wrap my small brain around, but the few hundred million other people that can't also... are a lost sale.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Even with grey parts, its one or the other when it comes to secure vs insecure.

Either I'm not understanding you, or you aren't understanding me. Having "grey parts" means precisely that it isn't about secure vs. insecure. It's about being more or less secure relative to something else. Android isn't entirely insecure. It is only somewhat less secure than Windows, both of which are far less secure than WP8.

When you say android is a malware incubator, I think you've shown a heavy bias yourself. A moment ago w8 users were to blame, now, if google made it, its the os.

Windows is also a malware incubator, as would be OSX if it owned a larger share of the market. So what now? If I stated the sky is blue, would you say I'm biased against green skies?

Aren't you just citing my apparent bias as an excuse to not do your homework? Although that is certainly easier, it won't make you any smarter. You are simultaneously calling the entire security research community biased (since I'm not saying anything different), but if you really want to go there, then be my guest.

Windows, on a phone (wp8) would pwn. I truely don't understand why Microsoft has hamstringed the wp os so severely.

I already told you. It's about trading in flexibility for better security (e.g. sacrificing the ability for apps to access your mails, in exchange for better mail privacy). It's a good trade-off to make for devices that should be as reliable as smartphones.

Its ok if there are reasons I can't wrap my small brain around, but the few hundred million other people that can't also... are a lost sale.

IMHO you are somewhat short sighted. Malware on Android is just getting started, which will damage that ecosystems reputation down the road. Possibly even more than it did Windows a decade ago, as the opportunities for misuse are even greater than they were on desktops.

Unfortunately, it seems I haven't been able to convince you of anything. The thing is, nobody can if you don't want to be.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Dave, thanks for the thanks! This thread was related to the 710 for exactly one post. Would it make sense to move it to the general WP8 forum?

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The only way to get a file explorer is to interop unlock your device and sideload the app installer (.XAP) to your phone, or flash a custom ROM containing a file explorer instead.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
IMHO you are somewhat short sighted. Malware on Android is just getting started, which will damage that ecosystems reputation down the road. Possibly even more than it did Windows a decade ago, as the opportunities for misuse are even greater than they were on desktops.

short sighted, accepted. it sounds as though there is a huge malware machine just warming up. if so, how many years will it take ? the operating system isn't brand new, the concepts of stealing personal information aren't new, nor are social engineering, nor id theft. why hasn't it happened yet ? the user base numbers argument is justified. the know-how is confirmed. the reward is plausible and real, but it still isn't happening. odd ?

maybe it doesn't -need- to be more secure ?

or worse, the information goldmine is more of a smoosh uselss of facebook posts and tweets than banking numbers, and completely uninteresting. the mound of data to sift through so mind numbingly useless that there is no point ?

if that is true, wp, webos, symbian, wm, sailfish, jola, debillllllian, and a few others can sigh and enjoy some obscurity security, compliments of a cloud of huge, worthless, data, and no filer.

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
As HNNNNNGHHH said, load a custom ROM on your Lumia 710 and you're done. File explorer, registry, etc all accessible the way it should be, plus install homebrew apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05