Hi, hope someone can give me a headsup on this...

I have recently just unlocked my Nokia Lumia 710, I had been locked to the Vodafone network here in the UK.

After the unlock, when I go to settings > about - it still says Carrier : Vodafone SW variant ID373...

Does this mean that my phone is still dependent on Vodafone for future updates? The only reason I got my phone unlocked was because I heard it was easier to update your phone, without the carrier getting in the way.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    04-18-2012 01:17 PM
    You only did a carrier unlock, which means you can only put in different sim cards from other carriers. Your phone is still dependent on Vodafone for future updates. There are ways of pushing the updates as they come out but it doesn't matter if the phone is carrier locked or not
    04-18-2012 04:15 PM
    Hey! So, if I have only carrier unlocked the device... how do I completely 'debrand' the phone completely, so that the phone is no longer dependent on Vodafone? I wanted the updates to come from Nokia (without having to rely on Vodafone), and I thought this would be the case after the unlock...

I'm a novice when it comes to all this...
    04-18-2012 06:34 PM
    I cant answer your question, but does anyone know what/who CVUK is? Is this the generic one, meaning any carrier can be used to relieve updates? Mine says this, but was from CPW as scans as a SIM-free device (they just sell a generic SIM-free handset and pair it to a SIM for sale without actually modifying the device etc).
    04-18-2012 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD