Inductive Charging Mod for Lumia 710 with Palm's Touchstone (Updated: Working!)

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Inspired by Oli Gill's video on modifying a Lumia 800 with the inductive charging component from a Palm Touchstone battery cover to work with Palm's Touchstone dock.

Steps
1 Remove coil (see pic..removed from a Pixi back cover, but one from a Pre will be the same) ..I found peeling off the black plastic was easy and then remove each piece slowly. The four metal circles can be popped out, and then laid them back down on the black plastic with the adhesive side up so it's one unit again.

Remove the thin black foam from the back of the Lumia 710's battery cover - leaving the foam on didn't work as it's probably too much distance.

2 Place the entire coil unit down on the Lumia's back cover now. I did it as far down as possible so the black plastic just touched the top of the foam over the speaker. If you have enough adhesive it should stick somewhat ok to the plastic cover of the Lumia. Eventually, I may use black electrically tape instead to securely hold everything in place (the area near one of the metals on mine lost it's adhesive so it's sliding slightly if I move the phone around slightly while on the touchstone).

3 Test by placing a led on the two exposed connectors and it worked. Disassemble the phone (youtube video here) and remove the black plastic housing that's protecting the usb port - at 3:40 in the video, you will be able to remove it, then simply place the main board back down and connect digitizer connector back.

4 Soldering a wire (at least a few inches long) to the top of the usb housing, and another to the pin all the way to the right. I could not get it to stick, so I ended up soldering it to the circle connector on the board - see Step 4 Pic. This is not impossible, but does require precise soldering and a steady hand. Use precaution - I used some tape to cover parts of the board up to prevent anything accidents, I would only attempt if you have prior soldering experience as you could damage your main board.

5 I routed the 2 wires through the top portion of the SIM card slot. Not ideal, but it worked as a quick solution. It's important that the wires be as tiny as possible. The sim card for me fits tights once the battery is pushed in. See Pic.

6 Soldering the wires now to the two connections. I used the inductive charging parts from a Pixi back, so the Pre may be similar.

7 You can see how it all looks now once done

8 Now, it works yes, but it's not absolutely perfect like the Pre was. You do have to play for a second or two to get it to sit on the touchstone just right before it's start to charge. Also, due the wires going over the plastic and on top of the battery, the back cover will at times pop open on the left side. I removed the black foam from the back cover, and using a screw driver scrapped off the honeycomb pattern on the back to gain as much space back to prevent the cover from opening, but it does at times.

Next Steps: I may find myself thinner wires or a better way to route the wires to eliminate the back cover from creaking open.

See remaining Pics and a short video in Post 3 below..

Last edited:

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Post above updated. My Lumia 710 is now doing inductive charging (aka wireless charging).

Posts are limited to 5 pictures, so this post is only the continuation of remaining pics from above.

Video as well.

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
That is awesome! Congrats. That's one huge thing I wish all phone manufacturers had, inductive charging. I miss that terribly from my Palm Pre days.

reedacus25

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Getting my Lumia 710 tomorrow, coming from a Pre3, and am very interested in this mod. Did you ever come up with a better route for wiring? Very simple, but useful modification, and looks much less daunting than the Lumia 800's...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Getting my Lumia 710 tomorrow, coming from a Pre3, and am very interested in this mod. Did you ever come up with a better route for wiring? Very simple, but useful modification, and looks much less daunting than the Lumia 800's...

Or buy the Lumia 810, Lumia 820, Lumia 822, or the Lumia 920.

reedacus25

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Or buy the Lumia 810, Lumia 820, Lumia 822, or the Lumia 920.

I like to stay contract free and didn't want to shell out for an operating system I was unsure of. I would love an unlocked 920 from Rogers, but I could buy 8+ 710's for the price I paid.

Also, I have around 6 touchstone chargers from my HP Pre3. So it would be really nice to not have to pay for new charging pillows.

Just got my Pixi back case in, and will try to give this project a whirl sometime this week.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I try to use the pre charge stand with my 920. It says it's charging, but it doesn't gain any charge even after a couple hours sitting there with the charge indicator lit.

Edson Nunes

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey dude! Excellent job...
I have only 1 question:
How you know which circle conector to apply the soldering?
I want to do that on my lumia 800 but soldering USB port sounds a little scary...

thanks a lot!

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Interesting hardware mod. Pretty fun way to screw with the Lumia 920 owners.
I would have to do this about three times, one for each back cover I have. (Matte black with rubber-esque texture, white (glossy), and cyan)

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Hey dude! Excellent job...
I have only 1 question:
How you know which circle conector to apply the soldering?
I want to do that on my lumia 800 but soldering USB port sounds a little scary...

thanks a lot!

I watched the video where the guy modded his Lumia 800 (link above in first post) very carefully to see which pin - he did it to the right most usb pin, but I found it too hard without touching the neighboring pins (and thus soldering the pins together) so I went for the circle and the usb housing. Now that I have a fancier soldering unit, if I had to do it all over, I would go for the pin too as playing with the circle connector off the board itself is risky as too much play and it will come loose and prevent charging. On the Lumia 710 there isn't too much room to fit it all in so eventually I removed it as the back creeping open was getting annoying, but with the 800 it seems like there's room from watching his video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)