No Service Bug

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else getting annoyed with this? I honestly can't believe Nokia don't give a damn and are happy to let their reputation get wiped-out if this bug ends up on BBC Watchdog - as all phones feature the same distinctive interface, nobody will go near Nokia Lumia when this bug is reported. It's one sure-fire way to kill your marketshare for once and for all in the UK.

This is the only thing that makes me actually hate using the phone right now, to the point of when it happens, I feel like throwing the bloody thing off my apartment balcony.

This morning, I had the worst time ever, waited for over a minute for signal to return, no go, had to reboot to get it back.

Nokia are unbelievable to think that this is acceptable.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you contacted your provider? You should be able to get the device replaced under warranty.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

xalasten

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I am using my 710 here in Canada on Bell and I am not having any issues getting signal. Wifi does take a second to reconnect it seems after the phone was sleeping so to speak.

I would also suggest getting it swapped out if possible.

Take care

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
It is related to the network, that I accept - my network is 3G-only and on the 1800Mhz spectrum so it does not penetrate buildings so well, thus sometimes you do lose signal. But the difference is, when it loses signal due to the network, you can live with that, however the problem with the 710 is takes upto 20 seconds to even bother re-finding the signal, even when you move to the balcony/window.

The TouchPro2 also intermittently lost signal in the same places, due to a weak network signal, but once the signal was strong again (ie. moving it a yard or so nearer a window) it came back straight away, whereas the Nokia seems to cease looking for the signal until it's ready, which seems to be a software issue (ie. Nokia tell it only to search for signal once lost [maybe to aid battery life in weak signal area's] once every 20 seconds or something?).

I will be contacting Nokia. I just hope this does not affect the 800/900 models in the UK, because if it makes it onto Watchdog (and trust me, I was a dev for a company that featured on there due to bugs in software, and the company paid big-time), then it will pretty much kill the reputation of the Lumia range in the UK overnight, that I guarantee you.

Other people have mentioned the bug on these forums, so it does exist.

xalasten

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
It probably is a setting to save on battery in weak signal areas but why are you coming on here sounding like you are rushing to tell the watchdog about how bad Nokia is.

If the handset ur using is not working for you get one that does. I have not seen any post about this being a widespread issue in the UK. I have read and watched many reviews for the 710 and none have mention the issue u are talking about.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not goin to Watchdog, I'm waiting for Nokia support to get back to me; the last thing I want to see is Nokia/Lumia's featured on Watchdog, because trust me, it will kill them.

However, if Nokia don't address the issue soon, the wider British public will start complaining to BBC Watchdog, and it only takes a few complaints about a major company/provider, for them to get featured, and bang goes the whole reputation of the Lumia devices (and possibly all WP devices).

I don't see why Nokia are happy to let this happen, there is obviously some software issue and yet, there is no software update to fix it; if this is how Nokia now feel a phone should run, my next phone will not be a Nokia. I just pray to god this issue is resolved with Tango, because these phones are selling like hotcakes in the UK atm. It is gobsmacking how buggy Nokia have made their WP handsets, when even companies like HTC, who are notorious for incomplete and buggy software (ala HTC Sense), have managed to release WP devices that at least manage the basics effectively.

After 6 or 7 years of WinMo devices, I still thought Nokia was all about reliability, signal quality etc, it appears this is no longer the case.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Well I've made a decision. If the problem is not fixed in Tango, the Lumia 710 is simply not suitable for use and thus I will be dumping Nokia, selling the piece of crap on ebay, and buying a HTC 7 Mozart. I will never touch a Nokia again after this pathetic situation. I am sick to death of waiting 20 - 30 seconds just to do a simple task, because the phone loses the network for a split second.

Nokia need to learn, I'd rather have a phone that does the basics, than Nokia Drive v3 or whatever other crap they are currently wasting their time and money on.

I bet Elop uses an iPhone, I guarantee he isn't using a 710 that's for sure. If they go out of business, on the basis of releasing crap like this, they only have themselves to blame.

:mad:

xalasten

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well I've made a decision. If the problem is not fixed in Tango, the Lumia 710 is simply not suitable for use and thus I will be dumping Nokia, selling the piece of crap on ebay, and buying a HTC 7 Mozart. I will never touch a Nokia again after this pathetic situation. I am sick to death of waiting 20 - 30 seconds just to do a simple task, because the phone loses the network for a split second.

Nokia need to learn, I'd rather have a phone that does the basics, than Nokia Drive v3 or whatever other crap they are currently wasting their time and money on.

I bet Elop uses an iPhone, I guarantee he isn't using a 710 that's for sure. If they go out of business, on the basis of releasing crap like this, they only have themselves to blame.

Did you ever hear back from Nokia? Sorry your not enjoying your 710. In my case it is a great device.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, not as yet, but I contacted them online, and it is a public holiday here in the UK, so it may be tomorrow before their support staff are back in work??

I agree the 710 is a great little phone, but this one (pathetic) bug is a killer for me, because my network is 1800Mhz and 3G-only, thus the signal indoors can be weak, so if I lose signal for a split-second, my phone is unusable for upto 30 seconds afterwards.

I'm sure this bug cannot be inherent to Windows Phone 7, and thus Nokia must have either screwed up, or placed this "feature" in to conserve battery life when there is no signal; if it's the latter, then I'd rather have the option to conserve battery life at the cost of usability than to have it forced upon me.

:)

oliveiradejesus

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Many people from different Forums and I are facing the same issue. It's definetely a BUG with the Windows Phone + Lumia 710.
I've sent my mobile twice to Nokia Support Center (since it's brand new and stills under warranty) and it came back the exact same way. The only thing they did was reinstalling the OS.
The SIM Card is recognized, if you go to settings and select the Carrier, it will authenticate. I can normally use the 3G data connection (e.g. for surfing the web), but when I go to make a call, send a SMS, it says NO SERVICE!
Common, who's gonna give me a light for this...
I know we may flash the phone, install hacked ROMs, etc... but I just want the phone working. When I chose the phone I would buy, I was not expecting future headaches... I was wrong!
Here (in Sao Paulo, Brazil) the carrier which I use is VIVO.

jonrsv1000

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I was just googling this no service error, I've had the same issue.

Got a HTC mozart and it's got to the stage where I can't receive calls, because of this bug, so just using a Nokia C1, does the job!!

I hope the lad up the thread didn't get a Mozart, how they've got into production with so many faults, I can't fathom. Long long story short, we bought a load for work, nothing but trouble, all of them.
Despite being back to HTC many times.

The MD has bought a Lumia 920, which I've briefly played with, although waiting for a micro sim. I've read there are several faults with this phone too, although updates should fix that.

WP8 seems good, however if the hardware/faults are like wp7, then they're dead in the water. Until your everyday apps come out, such as banking/shopping in wp8, many won't be interested.

mujaffar

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi MattLFC

Whether nokia fixed it in new os updates for lumia 710?

Currently I am having os version 7.10.8858.136
and firmware revision no: 1600.3036.8858.12460

Can you let me know if I need to update phone OS? It's an annoying issue :unhappysweat:

chrisdarcel

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi Matt

I have enjoyed using a 1520 now since March and much of my hair has now fallen out.

It has been back to the factory, which seemed to work for 5 minutes but now I am back to square one. Not only that I cannot now down load aps, Bing News would be great.

I can honestly say I have never ever wasted so much time and money on a device.

At nearly ?500 I am seriously thinking of scrapping the device.

It is not fit for purpose.

did you get anywhere with Watch Dog?

Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte