Location Service ON or OFF?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if most of you have Location Service OFF? If I leave it ON, will it drain my battery? I usually exit all my apps and do not have them running in the background so I wouldn't think leaving the Location Service ON would drain that much...but then again, the Lumia 710's battery life isn't too great.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the Location Services set to ON, but all of the feedback and "find my phone" set to disabled. That way if an app or the people hub want to use my location for some reason, it will work. Otherwise, the GPS unit won't be in use and would be taking up little to no battery. I've always had my phones this way, and as long as the "find my phone" isn't enabled, nothing will be pinging it in the background for data.

Of course, if you do like the "find my phone" feature, you probably want to leave that on. I haven't noticed a very large difference with that on, mind, but it is a difference.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the Location Services set to ON, but all of the feedback and "find my phone" set to disabled. That way if an app or the people hub want to use my location for some reason, it will work. Otherwise, the GPS unit won't be in use and would be taking up little to no battery. I've always had my phones this way, and as long as the "find my phone" isn't enabled, nothing will be pinging it in the background for data.

Of course, if you do like the "find my phone" feature, you probably want to leave that on. I haven't noticed a very large difference with that on, mind, but it is a difference.

Okay, good. That was what I was wondering. If I had my location service ON for the overall phone but i disabled everything else (apps, find my phone feature, etc)...would it drain my battery. Thanks for your input!

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Just checked, thought mine was off, but its on. It helps Bing and weather channel etc function, and as above, you can usually control what apps are allowed to use it anyway. I have no problems with my battery, easily a day, with push notifications on for facebook, always streaming videos, 4x email accounts checking every 30 minutes, always using facebook, making calls etc...

It's fair to say it gets used a lot, but I only really charge it once a day (overnight) and have no problems with battery.

winphnjunkie

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I've left mine off for the most part and only turn it on when I want to use that feature. I get a ton of phone calls all day long, and wth it on my battery does drain a little faster than normal. And with all services using that features turned off as well.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Starting to learn a bit about how much Location impacts battery on my retired Surround (no SIM and WiFi turned off). Its a sort of can't live with it, can't live without it thing. As I don't want to be troubled turning it on/off. But my rough guess is Location is probably responsible for 1 to 1.5% of battery drain per hour, depending on battery size. And simply turning off Location in settings, does not turn it off everywhere. There are references for location capturing services throughout the settings screens. You need to check all of them.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans