Drinking and Swimming can kill a 710

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Was enjoying the Memorial day weekend with friends around the pool, when my wife decided it would be funny to push me in fully clothed, alcohol may have been involved. Unfortunately she didn't realize I had my phone in my pocket. Needles to say it didn't go well, the poor thing tried to turn back on before I could get the battery out, and after 2 days in a container filled with rice I finally took it off life support. On a happier note, I just got home with my new 710, though without insurrance.... ouch. The moral of the story is drinking and swimming can be hazardous to your 710, so make sure it's not in your pocket :)

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Was enjoying the Memorial day weekend with friends around the pool, when my wife decided it would be funny to push me in fully clothed, alcohol may have been involved. Unfortunately she didn't realize I had my phone in my pocket. Needles to say it didn't go well, the poor thing tried to turn back on before I could get the battery out, and after 2 days in a container filled with rice I finally took it off life support. On a happier note, I just got home with my new 710, though without insurrance.... ouch. The moral of the story is drinking and swimming can be hazardous to your 710, so make sure it's not in your pocket :)

Well, another thing you can try is submerging your dead 710 in a glass of rubbing alcohol. I did that on an old LG flip phone I had and it was resurrected partially. The LG had gone through my washing machine. Whoops. At first it would not turn on at all. So I took it apart as best I could, soaked it well in a glass of alcohol (not the battery of course), then buried it in a bowl of rice. After that it would turn on and I could send/receive calls, but the outer LCD screen would no longer work. Thankfully, the inner, larger LCD screen would work.

So you have nothing to lose now since you already have a replacement. Give the rubbing alcohol trick a try. Might work!

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear SteelSteve.

If you can go without a phone for a few days, consider buying it off ebay if T-Mobile still charges the full $350 price. Phones are going for in the low 200 range currently or mid 200 for the buy it now listings. I've had luck buying two 710s without any issues.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.. I did look at E-bay but couldn't wait the time it would take to ship, so I went and paid the full monty. Not sure if it's good or bad, but I did go ahead and get insurance on this one just in case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa