07-24-2012 07:33 PM
71 123
tools
    That ought to teach "them" a lesson.
    Just upgraded a T-Mobile Lumia 710 via Zune. No stomping required.
    06-28-2012 08:16 AM
    The update trick wasn't working for me yesterday, but I tried it today and the updates are coming through.

I had to do it each time for each update though.
    06-28-2012 03:47 PM
    The update trick wasn't working for me yesterday, but I tried it today and the updates are coming through.

Yep, I had to do the trick with each update as well.
    06-28-2012 05:10 PM
    Yep, I had to do the trick with each update as well.
    Yep, me too. eventually it worked though. I wonder though what **** we'll have to pull to get the next "BIG" update ? Make it sing cumba ya while plugging it in ? :lol:
    06-28-2012 05:36 PM
    Hopefully someone more tech-wise can explain this to me. If T-Mobile is saying that you can do the Tango update, why is my firmware holding me back until at least August 1st when it comes from Microsoft? This seems really weird to me that my carrier has to approve it, but it comes from Microsoft??? All I want is Tango so my keyboard stops going away without potentially missing more updates and/or risk voiding my warranty.

I finally got the update trick to work. I realize it's pretty lucky to disconnect at the right time, but at least the first update is the disappearing keyboard, which I can live without the rest until Microsoft updates me August 1st or later (according the TMobile support). That said, I'm of course going to try to get the rest of the updates in hopes I can get my wife to leave her iPhone behind in 10 months.
    Last edited by ikissfutebol; 06-28-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Got lucky with the trick
    speedtouch likes this.
    06-28-2012 06:32 PM

What's the update trick? Do you guys mean this?

http://www.windowscentral.com/cant-w...do-it-yourself
    06-28-2012 09:46 PM
    Still no update showing for mine unlocked rogers phone. Is there a trick to it? Thanks
    06-28-2012 10:42 PM
    What's the update trick? Do you guys mean this?

http://www.windowscentral.com/cant-w...do-it-yourself
    Nope. This one: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-710/194244.htm
    06-28-2012 10:43 PM
    Two 710s in my household, both are still on 7740. It would be nice to know where I am in the update queue...
    06-29-2012 10:06 AM
    Two 710s in my household, both are still on 7740. It would be nice to know where I am in the update queue...
    Your phone will notify you.

Just make sure you have "Notify me when new updates are found" in the Phone Update section of Settings. And if you don't mind it using a little 3G/4G data, put a check on "Use cellular data..." as well.
    06-29-2012 10:23 AM
    anyone having trouble with updating? Getting an error code...
    06-29-2012 10:25 AM
    anyone having trouble with updating? Getting an error code...
    If it is the one saying it can't check for updates right now, then you simply didn't disconnect the internet at the right moment. If you want this trick to work you'll have to try again and again. It's a small window to hit, somewhere between 1 and 3 seconds. I noticed that it's rather random luck to hit it the right exact time: first update was about 2, second and last just over a second. Just keep trying, it'll work.
    06-29-2012 05:50 PM
    Still no update here (710, Tmo, US). I meant to do the trick to force it to appear but I'm actually curious to know when it will appear if I let it appear on its own.
    06-30-2012 08:30 AM
    If it is the one saying it can't check for updates right now, then you simply didn't disconnect the internet at the right moment. If you want this trick to work you'll have to try again and again. It's a small window to hit, somewhere between 1 and 3 seconds. I noticed that it's rather random luck to hit it the right exact time: first update was about 2, second and last just over a second. Just keep trying, it'll work.
    its not the internet. I was capable of updating to 8112, but I can't update to 8773 because I get error code 80070017. Any advice? I've attempted formatting and a couple tricks, but they haven't worked.
    06-30-2012 08:46 AM
    Still have not had the update show up for me. Rogers 710 unlocked...Zune says it is up to date still...any ideas? Is it possible that it is normal to take this long to get the notification? Thanks
    07-02-2012 09:24 AM
    Still have not had the update show up for me. Rogers 710 unlocked...Zune says it is up to date still...any ideas? Is it possible that it is normal to take this long to get the notification? Thanks
    Same here, haven't gotten my update from Rogers yet...eagerly waiting as each day passes by
    07-02-2012 04:50 PM
    I'm using an unlocked Rogers 710 and had to get the update via the 'disconnect' trick mentioned on previous pages.
    07-02-2012 07:59 PM
    Same here, haven't gotten my update from Rogers yet...eagerly waiting as each day passes by
    I was able to get my phone to update using the "trick" that gets you to:

1) turn off WiFi and cell data in the phone
    2) plug the phone into the PC using USB
    3) open Zune if it did not auto load.
    4) click on update and 2 or 3 seconds after you click update either unplug your Ethernet cable or disable your connection.
    5) Zune will detect an update 8112 most likely.
    6) reconnect your internet or enable it
    7) click update now and wait for the first update to finish.
    8) repeat steps 4-7 and you will get update tango update.

It does work but timing is everything. If tour too fast to drop your connection you will get an error and if ur too slow you will get the "your phone is up to date" msg. But it does work. Just remember to re-enable your data on the phone after the update so everything works. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by xalasten; 07-02-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    07-02-2012 08:04 PM
    I was able to get my phone to update using the "trick" that gets you to:

1) turn off WiFi and cell data in the phone
    2) plug the phone into the PC using USB
    3) open Zune if it did not auto load.
    4) click on update and 2 or 3 seconds after you click update either unplug your Ethernet cable or disable your connection.
    5) Zune will detect an update 8112 most likely.
    6) reconnect your internet or enable it
    7) click update now and wait for the first update to finish.
    8) repeat steps 4-7 and you will get update tango update.

It does work but timing is everything. If tour too fast to drop your connection you will get an error and if ur too slow you will get the "your phone is up to date" msg. But it does work. Just remember to re-enable your data on the phone after the update so everything works. Hope this helps.
    I couldn't wait anymore so I used the trick. Works great!

It didn't work at first because I didn't remember to re-connect your internet connection. :blush:

Best timing to disconnect connection for me was to wait for the progress bar to be full and then disconnect right away (but not lightning fast).
    07-02-2012 09:02 PM
    I haven't got mine from Rogers yet either.
    07-03-2012 11:28 AM
    I haven't got mine from Rogers yet either.
    The steps above will work for you.
    07-03-2012 01:30 PM
    The steps above will work for you.
    I tried them, but I guess I can't get the timing right because it's not working.
    07-03-2012 02:10 PM
    i had to force the firmware update, after several attemps it worked, and the phone its working fine, i already tested the internet thetering and its also working fine, some new features on nokia drive also, my carrier its telcel in mexico.

saludos!!
    07-04-2012 04:14 PM
    FINALLY got it to do all the updates!!! Battery life is up.
    07-04-2012 06:25 PM
    Does the trick for work any carrier? I have a HD7 on Bell Aliant.
    07-05-2012 12:18 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD