Update 710 to 7.8 with Nokia Care Suite; which firmware to choose

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an unlocked Nokia Lumia 710. I bought it here: Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 710 Unlocked GSM Touchscreen Phone with Windows 7.5 OS, 5MP Camera, GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth - White: Cell Phones & Accessories. I want to install the newly released WP7.8 using the Nokia Care Suite. I chose:

Products: Nokia Lumia 710 (RM-803)
Releases: 1600.3036.8858.12460
Variants: I cannot figure out which one to choose here. There are 29 firmwares listed. Most of them are a country or EU variant. I'm in the US. Does it matter which one I choose? They all have a number, 059xxxx. Is the US version available somewhere else? Any & all suggestions are appreciated. Am I barking up the wrong proverbial tree? Thank-you!

dylk

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
ok so I did this with my 900 few days ago successfully..... in nokia care suite, at the refurbish page, click on basic info in the right column. It will expand with the variant you currently have. You should then pick the corresponding variant from navifirm. If it isn't there, (mine wasn't, im from Australia), download anyone you want, but go into the files you downloaded and there should be 3 or so files that say the variant in the file name. Change it to your variant and then nokia care suite will automatically find it (if you it it in correct place) and will flash it.

dylk

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't even get the Nokia Care Suite to recognize the 710, any tips on how you achieved this?

go into program files and find nokia folder, in there somewhere will be a folder named 'drivers', install the WINUSB either x86 or x64. Then it should recognize it easy

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
go into program files and find nokia folder, in there somewhere will be a folder named 'drivers', install the WINUSB either x86 or x64. Then it should recognize it easy

This. I didn't have to do it since I already had the drivers installed, and what was needed besides Windows installed automatically, but the drivers files in the Drivers folder are there for that reason if needed.

I ended up choosing a ROM that matched as closely as possible. The exact variant wasn't there, but I got one close (white, unlocked). When I put it in the correct folder, NCS found & flashed it. It works great!

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Using my T-Mobile (US) 710 as a music player only (saving up for windows phone 8 on verizon!) I have tried a few of the european variants (with just changing the language to english if it wasn't already during set up) I am impressed with what i see, again i am not using my lumia as a phone so obviously i didn't have to care about carrier/networks etc.

jasonxz

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Just so I understand before I go through this process with my wife's 900, how much of her personal settings/info am I going to lose on her phone if I do this?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's like restoring your phone. You lose everything.

What he said; the OS will be in its factory condition. If the ROM you flash starts setup with a language you can't read, choose the button on the right. You should be able to recognize "English" when you get to where you choose the language.

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
tgp,

Have you flashed your phone yet? I am curious to know about the presence of 2 features:

1. SMS backup
2. "Add MMS APN" option in Settings --> Cellular

These settings will help me decide whether to wait for the official carrier-pushed upgrade or not.

Thanks!

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind, here are the answers! (I couldn't wait)

1. No SMS backup. I hate Microsoft.
2. No. However, MMS seems to work out of the box and the Network Setup app is pre-installed.

I installed this variant:
059M161 RM-803 VAR APAC1 IN CV BLACK 1600.3036.8858.12460

It's unbranded.

bogusname

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I spent most of today trying to do this. I got the steps figured out (there is a useful youtube video HOW TO UPDATE NOKIA LUMIA 800/710/900 to Windows Phone 7.8 ! - YouTube.) However, for RM-809 all the 12460 fw is from Latin America and none allow for 4G (all are 3G--I only tried for black). So I ended up putting 7.5 back on. If anyone has a solution to this, I would appreciate it. I was not adventurous enough to try to put RM-803/European fw on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb