Nokia Lumia 710 screen flashes during charging and when off

Noreve

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My grandchildren have pestered the life out of me to buy my first Smartphone, a Lumia 710. It arrived yesterday and I found it nice and easy(ish) to find my way around. I was shocked at the very poor battery life, compared to only charging my old Samsung twice a week!

My problem with 710 is that the phone flashes during charging and even when in what I think of as the off position. My daughter has a Lumia 610 and my pal has a Lumia 800 and both of them assure me that their phones don't flash like mine. I would be grateful for any advice.

Norm

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My grandchildren have pestered the life out of me to buy my first Smartphone, a Lumia 710. It arrived yesterday and I found it nice and easy(ish) to find my way around. I was shocked at the very poor battery life, compared to only charging my old Samsung twice a week!

My problem with 710 is that the phone flashes during charging and even when in what I think of as the off position. My daughter has a Lumia 610 and my pal has a Lumia 800 and both of them assure me that their phones don't flash like mine. I would be grateful for any advice.

Norm
Hi and welcome to WPCentral. :smile:

Battery life on any smartphone will be much less than that of a feature phone. I've always charged all of my smartphones every day overnight when I go to bed. I've had Nokia Symbian, BlackBerry, and Nokia Windows Phone all of which required daily charging.

What do you mean by "flashes"?

Windows Phones will automatically turn on when they are charging even if they were turned off prior to connecting them to the charger. This is common in many smartphones; the iPhone 4S does the same thing.

Noreve

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Laura, thank you for your so prompt reply and thank you for the welcome! I understand the need to charge more often with a Smartphone but I was shocked that the battery lasted less than 4 hours with only 3 short calls made.

Re my phone flashing, the screen lights up (ie Flickering) in very short bursts in the charge and off position. This does not happen during operation.

ps, you mentioned iphones. Both my son and son-in-law have iphones and they are mystified at my phone doing something they have not seen before.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Laura, thank you for your so prompt reply and thank you for the welcome! I understand the need to charge more often with a Smartphone but I was shocked that the battery lasted less than 4 hours with only 3 short calls made.
Did you charge it fully before using it? The battery is only partially charged when you get a new phone and usually needs to be charged when you get it home. If it is fully charged and the battery dies that quickly, then that is not normal.

Re my phone flashing, the screen lights up in very short bursts in the charge and off position. This does not happen during operation.
I have a Nokia Lumia 900, not a 710; however, my device will light up when I connect it to the charger even if it had not been lit. It will also light up when I take it off the charger. If your device does that, then that is normal.

jc0187

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Noreve, my wife and i both own a 710, and her phone will do that flickering thing as well. My phone will do it occasionally. There's several issues i have with this phone though. But then again, there is no such thing as a perfect phone.

Noreve

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I exchanged faulty phone and the replacement one was put on charge all day yesterday. Unused overnight, the battery has 10% of charge left! My old non smart phone needed a charge once a week. I'm really wondering what I have gained by 'upgrading' to Smart(?)phones?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I exchanged faulty phone and the replacement one was put on charge all day yesterday. Unused overnight, the battery has 10% of charge left! My old non smart phone needed a charge once a week. I'm really wondering what I have gained by 'upgrading' to Smart(?)phones?

Are you in a service area with very, very low signal strength? How many email accounts do you have integrated into the Lumia? Honestly, you can't compare battery life between smartphones and dumbphones. It's not a fair comparison. It's like comparing a motorcycle to a Ferrari. Yeah, both will get you around, but the Ferrari is going to require a LOT more gas.

Noreve

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. My new 'phone retains charge overnight, ie from full to 83% if unused. So, that proves to me that my first phone was faulty. Understand your comparison re motorcycle and Ferrari. I'm now starting to enjoy my first 'smart'phone and love sending photos of my grandchildren to their parents (I'm sure they will tire of that soon!). I used the Nokia Maps app recently when looking for a Bournemouth (UK) hotel. Very handy.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. My new 'phone retains charge overnight, ie from full to 83% if unused. So, that proves to me that my first phone was faulty. Understand your comparison re motorcycle and Ferrari. I'm now starting to enjoy my first 'smart'phone and love sending photos of my grandchildren to their parents (I'm sure they will tire of that soon!). I used the Nokia Maps app recently when looking for a Bournemouth (UK) hotel. Very handy.

Good, so it was hardware after all. I am glad to learn you got a decent replacement. That battery usage overnight seems very reasonable to me. And remember, it will use even less battery overnight if you put it into Airplane Mode. Keep enjoying your Lumia 710! It's really the best cheap Windows Phone 7 device. Nokia Maps is superb. Best of luck to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon