Weird crashing/rebooting bug with Lumia 710

Mihir Joshi

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, so I recently got a replacement Lumia 710 from the Nokia repair center, and it works fine and all, except the phone has a strange rebooting bug where it will randomly reboot on its own about 2-3 times per day. It's almost always when the phone is just idle on my desk, but it has happened a couple times while I was using it, like when I check email and stuff. The only other thing I changed (besides the new replacement phone) is the SIM card. Previously I had a regular AT&T SIM that I cut down to a microSIM, but with the new phone I almost immediately activated a real microSIM card, so as far as I can tell, that's the only other change. Do you guys think that would affect it?

I would normally go to AT&T and get another SIM to try, but the AT&T store is a bit far so I just wanted some opinions and feedback from someone who may also have had this problem. From what I can tell, the SIM works fine in my old dumbphones.

The really baffling thing is how random it happens. It doesn't happen at any specific times or with any specific settings. It happens regardless of whether Wifi or Location Services is on, and regardless of what ROM (including Stock T-Mobile WP7.5) I use. Any ideas?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
That is not normal at all. I think someone else had that reboot bug about 6 months ago. He returned the phone and got a replacement Lumia 710 and all was well. Sounds like it's a hardware problem, honestly. And a rare one at that. I'd send it back.

Mihir Joshi

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, actually the past couple days I noticed something interesting that I guess I never noticed before. The last 3 times it crashed were all at x:48, meaning at 3:48pm then 5:48pm, then 6:48am, so I think this might be something beyond just a hardware fault. In any case, my warranty expires towards the end of this month, so I'm going to try getting another new SIM from AT&T and if that doesn't work, I'll just send it back. If I find a solution, I'll post here for anyone else with a similar problem.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's really weird it would reboot on those exact times. Then it's got to be a software or software & hardware problem. I doubt a new SIM will help, but you never know. Just don't wait too long before your warranty runs out!

Mihir Joshi

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually I might have spoken too soon. It must have been a coincidence that it rebooted at those times, because now it's back to rebooting completely randomly. Also, replacing the SIM card didn't help so I guess I'll be sending it back to the repair center :(

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually I might have spoken too soon. It must have been a coincidence that it rebooted at those times, because now it's back to rebooting completely randomly. Also, replacing the SIM card didn't help so I guess I'll be sending it back to the repair center :(
Yup, send it back. You got a bad Lumia 710. They are rare, but they do happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers