How to turn off Data

CouchKraken

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Got some noob questions for you all.
I got a 1 GB data plan from my carrier and I was wondering how to turn off data while still being able to use WiFi. Also, is there a way that I can keep data on but it is not used by e-mail or apps like whatsapp and twitter until i tell them to? Also, will using twitter, facebook and whatsapp use much of my data? I imagine everytime a feed goes into my twitter or facebook, it uses data. So that worries me.

Thanks for any advice.

lumiauser

May 25, 2013
Visit site
To turn the data off, go to Settings - Cellular - Data connection - off. 1 Gb is more than sufficient limit for regular usage of net unless you are not a heavy download freak. So dont worry, just enjoy your surfing and chatting.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Got some noob questions for you all.
I got a 1 GB data plan from my carrier and I was wondering how to turn off data while still being able to use WiFi. Also, is there a way that I can keep data on but it is not used by e-mail or apps like whatsapp and twitter until i tell them to? Also, will using twitter, facebook and whatsapp use much of my data? I imagine everytime a feed goes into my twitter or facebook, it uses data. So that worries me.

Firstly, 1GB of data is a reasonable amount for general social networking stuff (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) Things that really use a lot of data are anything related to downloading or streaming videos, and of course, downloading large files in general.

To turn mobile network data off, go to Settings>Mobile Networks>Data Connection and set it to Off. This does not turn off wifi data, only data through the cell network. So when this is off you will not use any of your data allowance, but you'll still be able to access the internet via wifi.

In terms of setting individual apps sync intervals, you will need to do this in the app setting for each individual app. But like I said, having these apps sync automatically is unlikely to chew up much of 1GB.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I do this all the time when I'm home. Just go to settings, then cellular and select off. You can turn your WiFi on and either choose to keep it on even when the phone is sleeping or leave it like normal (which is better anyway because it conserves the battery). You can't keep data activated without it getting involved with the apps you mentioned or your email. However, I think WiFi might actually take precedence when you have both turned on.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
However, I think WiFi might actually take precedence when you have both turned on.

Yes it does, and that's a good point. If you leave cellular data on, but there's a wifi network available that you're connect to, you phone will use wifi and not cellular data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos