Difference Soft and Hard Reset ?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Soft reset just resets the system and dumps cache etc.

Hard reset completely blanks the device and re-installs the software.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Soft reset just resets the system and dumps cache etc.

Hard reset completely blanks the device and re-installs the software.

Just to make it a bit more explicit, a hard reset restores the phone to its factory default state. So all your settings and personal files, SMSs, music, photos, etc that are stored in the phone's memory are erased.

A soft reset is the equivalent of removing and reinstalling the battery - it just reboots the phone. No settings or data are lost.

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The term soft and hard reset is the same since wm day for Microsoft at least. However, the term hard reset on iPhone is equivalent to soft reset in windows phone.

So be careful, if you were from iPhone and want the iPhone like hard reset on your windows phone, you are actually looking for a soft reset.

felipebreis

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Does Hard Reset keep the updates? For instance now I have amber on 920, if I do a hard reset when it come back will it be still amber? tks

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes of course. It just deletes user data from memory and restores to the default state @ system

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Does Hard Reset keep the updates? For instance now I have amber on 920, if I do a hard reset when it come back will it be still amber? tks

Yes. The operating system (Windows Phone 8) and basic system software (firmware) are stored in a reserved area of non-volatile memory. During an update (such as the one to GDR2 and Amber) this reserved memory is overwritten with the new updates. A hard reset doesn't touch this special area of memory, rather it resets the user data and application areas of memory. So all your downloaded apps, app data and personal and account data is reset, but your device will remain on whatever version of WP8 and firmware you've last updated it to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss