720 Expected battery life on a single charge.

jenikcarl

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
I bought the Lumia 720 a couple of weeks ago. The phone was completely discharged in the box. Recharged it to 100% and then discharged it over the next 2 days since I did not have a microsim. However since then I have received less than 24 hours on a full charge since then. Below is my usage.
  • 1.5 hours of playing music.
  • Maybe 20 mins of playing mini carrom. ( Dont play anymore since I am worried the battery will tank on me :( )
  • 5 -10 mins of voice calls.
  • 10 - 15 mins of surfing the web at max on a 2G connection
  • An hour of surfing, installing apps on Wifi
  • Whatsapp for an hour.
I uninstalled Whatsapp and HereDrive 2 days ago. Found no improvement in the battery life. I uninstalled all apps except the 5 standard apps that came in with the phone viz Zomato, Cosmopolitan, BookmyShow and BigFlix and TripAdvisor. No improvement still.
The 23 -24 hour battery life includes 8 hours where I dont use my phone at all. Not even to glance at its fabulous lock screen :D. Can anyone help with their battery statistics or should I go to the Nokia store and get the battery exchanged? Any problems in getting the battery exchanged so soon? I read on the forum somewhere that to remove the battery, they would use a heat gun to unsolder the glass screen* (feeling panicky).

Can anyone help out with what their usage and battery life is like? Should I get the battery changed? The battery discharge rate on standby is 3% atleast, in an hour. The GSM arena blog link says I should be getting 60 hours.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-lumia-720-battery-testing-is-complete-here-are-the-results/
Below are the specifications by Nokia. Any suggestions are welcome.

Maximum 2G talk time: 23.4 h
Maximum 3G standby time: 520 h
Maximum 3G talk time: 13.4 h
Music playback time: 79 h
Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 9.4 h

*["My point is: I don't think the L720 battery would need a replacement in the phone's lifetime. If it turns out that a replacement is needed, you can always remove the gorilla glass with a heat gun at around 70 degrees C. Then remove the screen and get to the battery. A new genuine battery costs about 25$ (it is relatively expensive compared to other Nokia batteries). You'd most likely also need a new gorilla glass with fresh/new adhesive. That costs about $30 and includes the digitizer."
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-720/229778-lumia-720-battery.html ]

Last edited:

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Do not compare with gsmarena batter results as they used a specific set of tests and under perfect conditions, no one will really get 60hours as each one of us uses phone differently. Even your cell radio strength can affect battery life and other factors like background apps, using other services like Bluetooth, wifi, gps etc etc.

I'd suggest you reset your phone and calibrate battery by charging correctly. Do not fully discharge your li ion battery as battery strength tends to get affected. Try not to use Internet and see if you are getting 48hours, if not I think taking the phone to Nokia service should help you out..

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
yeah, I think nokia doesn't care about the Lumia 720, I feel like, since its the best balance between all lumias, something must be wrong, they just cant make the perfect device. my battery life is exactly the same about 20 hours per charge.

On other threads about the battery, people presented screenshots of battery withholding 2 days! now I have no idea how they managed that, maybe they don't have everything connected to people hub which keeps checking for updates, and not to mention facebook chat and windows live messenger.

Somu612

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I usually let my battery discharge completely (upto 2%-3%) and then start charging. Occasionally I've let the phone switch off too as people told me once in a while the phone has to switch off to delete all the cache data. And yes, the battery was excellent on the 1st 2 days but after that it lasts for about 20 hours with 3G internet for about 12 hours and with popular apps like whatsapp, twitter continuously running.
Is it not good to charge the battery after a complete discharge? Meaning should I not wait till the battery going to 1-2% before charging? Please advise.
Thanks!

jenikcarl

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Even your cell radio strength can affect battery life and other factors like background apps, using other services like Bluetooth, wifi, gps etc etc.
I'd suggest you reset your phone and calibrate battery by charging correctly. Do not fully discharge your li ion battery as battery strength tends to get affected. Try not to use Internet and see if you are getting 48hours, if not I think taking the phone to Nokia service should help you out..
Thanks broar94 for your reply.
My workplace and home both have full networks. No problems networkwise too while travelling. I had 2G connection on earlier but have shut that off completely. There are no background apps running currently. Its pretty much like a new phone out of the box right now. My discharge rate went up to between 7 - 11% when I was scrolling through pictures. Are you suggesting a hard reset that will wipe off all data or a soft reset (I have done that a couple of times already)? How do I calibrate the battery? Any info on what your usage is like and whats your battery life like?

mxtremex6

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
just wait, when i got my 720...the battery would barely last 8hrs on med usage but it has improved a lot since then. As after 2 months my phone gives me an estimated remaining time of 22hrs..with med usage....I havent been able to take it upto 7-8% because i have to charge it b4 i go to work....so keep calm and njoy ! ;D

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I was the one who wrote what you quoted regarding battery replacement, and it still my take on things: You'd want a new phone long before the battery capacity drops to something annoyingly bad.
But if there's something wrong with the battery, then you should definitely complain to the store or Nokia. No need to look into things like replacing the battery on a brand new phone that should be 100% in working order and still under warranty.

I've found that charging the battery using the USB cable connected to a PC does NOT fully charge the phone to 100% even though both the phone and the windows phone manager on windows thinks so. The charged capacity is about 50%-70% of what it really should have been. The charging rate on the PC is also apparently faster than when using the wall socket plug-in power adaptor, so something is wrong with the battery charging performance when the phone is connected to a PC. At least with my PC (an old'ish thinkpad T60p) the charging is incorrect.

Yesterday I gamed 12 minutes of Rayman Jungle Run which drained the battery 2%. I charged the phone today with 43% remaining capacity. It had been running for 5 days and some hours. I don't use the phone that much. Wifi is always on, i'm now on 3G, making 10mins calls a day, some gaming, a few text messages, checking some web pages.
Also my phone is set to not send any kind of feedback to Microsoft.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I usually let my battery discharge completely (upto 2%-3%) and then start charging. Occasionally I've let the phone switch off too as people told me once in a while the phone has to switch off to delete all the cache data. And yes, the battery was excellent on the 1st 2 days but after that it lasts for about 20 hours with 3G internet for about 12 hours and with popular apps like whatsapp, twitter continuously running.
Is it not good to charge the battery after a complete discharge? Meaning should I not wait till the battery going to 1-2% before charging? Please advise.
Thanks!

You should not let Lithium-Ion batteries discharge completely. L-Ion batteries can be damaged if they are fully discharged. The phone should switch itself off before damage happens, but sometimes people keep trying to turn the phone on again several times after the phone switches off and this can drive the battery below the safe minimum.

To get the best longevity out of your L-Ion batteries, you should charge them regularly. For most people that means put them on charge every night, when the battery is down to 30%-50%.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Even I bought a new 720 recently. You need several charge cycles before getting the maximum battery life.

This is complete rubbish. The phone has a Lithium-Ion or Lithium Polymer battery. This type of battery does not need conditioning and does not get "better" after a few charge cycles.

Even the article you linked to says so:

"Lithium-Ion – Li-ion batteries are the newer type of battery that are found it most newer cell phones (most definitely most, if not all, smartphones use Li-ion and many “dumbphones” use them too now). Li-ion can be thought of as “smarter” than NiCad batteries; Li-ion batteries don’t suffer from the “memory effect” and thus don’t need to be conditioned like NiCad batteries."

Please stop perpetuating these myths.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
On other threads about the battery, people presented screenshots of battery withholding 2 days! now I have no idea how they managed that, maybe they don't have everything connected to people hub which keeps checking for updates, and not to mention facebook chat and windows live messenger.

I easily get two full days of use from my Lumia 720 on a single battery charge. My usage is light to medium. One thing though, I don't play any games and I don't spend a lot of time browsing the web on my phone. It's mainly used for phone calls, SMS and emails. I do have Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn connected to the people hub. I also have Gmail and Outlook mail set to on demand (push). I have WiFi and GPS always on. I have NFC and Bluetooth off unless I need them. Typically, by the end of the second day I'm down to around 20% battery left.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What charger do you use to charge the phone?
If original Nokia, then ok, if anything else better switch to original.
Its advisable to let the phone charge 100% in 1 go rather than let it feed in multiple charging sessions and increase by 5-10%.
My battery life was very good but lately it has been decreasing due to some background apps.

areewahab

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
on my experience, I satisfied with the battery life. On a daily use, I always chat, watching video on youtube, took a pic, etc.
(no, I didn't play a game)

On a full charge, it last for around a day and a half until it turn off automatically.
So maybe there is something wrong with yours..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes