Huge problems with the 720

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the 720 for a month now and I can't say I'm very pleased with it (because it's a faulty device). From the start on, it blocked regularly and i had to reset the phone multiple times a day. I contacted the seller (bought it from ebay as it was 90? cheaper than in the store) and after 15 e-mails i filed a complaint in paypal to ask if they could take the phone back or give me a new one. I don't have guarantee from Nokia it seems in Europe as the seller also sold me a phone which was shipped to Hong Kong. Now the paypal case has argumented against me and I lost it. Reason: phone felt out of my pocket and the screen is also scratched. Now, the seller wants me to send the phone back for repair, but I don't trust him anymore, and I'm pretty sure I'll also have to pay for the blocking of the phone (which has been there before the broken screen-as i can show on a youtube movie).
On the other hand I found online a repair service for ?70 for the screen alone, and they said they also could have a look at the blocking of the phone. But then I'll certainly have to pay it. The seller would send it back to Nokia I guess, does anyone know what a broken screen costs at a Nokia repair center?

Other than that, I'll never buy from an online seller again. It was really frustrating to see how things went. The phone is really nice, but it's so so so frustrating to need to reset it multiple times a day (and change the time and date every time again, sometimes even when i'm setting the time and data again from a reset, it blocks again). Other than that, almost all my apps need to crash 3 to 4 times before I can finally open them.

What would you guys do? Go to a Nokia repair myself (but risk spending more than ?100 on the repair-I can sell my broken 720 and get a new lumia then in place -_-) or go to the online repair, or repair it at the seller. I'm really frustrated because of it, because it blocks more than something else. I have tried hard reset, contacted Nokia, tried everything. This phone needs to be repaired as it's faulty (and not only the screen, the blocking is the most irritating of all defects). Any word of advice?
thanks

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems with your device.

I never buy used electronics from eBay sellers, since I've heard so many people who've had problems.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey poeli, can you describe exactly what you mean when you say 'blocking'? What's happening when this occurs? Any screenshots or pictures of the problem etc. would help - maybe someone here has overcome this problem.

As for your online problem this is the risk with buying anything, especially a phone, online. I looked into getting a Lumia online when the 920's first came out but I discovered about the warranty being only valid in the country the phone was originally sold and that put me off.

So it seems you have a device which has some kind of problem (you shouldn't be having to restart/reset your device multiple times a day) and your screen is scratched (easily done). When you got the phone online did the seller give you any kind of warranty with the phone? If they did, it's probably best to go through the guy that sold it to you, as replacement parts can be expensive out of warranty. If there's absolutely no warranty at all and you don't trust the seller then I would go to one of the other two. If you want to make sure your phone's problem is permanently fixed but don't mind paying for it, go to Nokia officially. It could cost you a lot more but you would at least have a manufacturer repaired device.

If you're not bothered about it being official, go to the online repairer that's the cheapest of the lot.

Pulserider

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
This is really not a nice experience that you going through with actually if this phone is working which is a very good handset. This is only my advice and opinions coming now :

Buying anything on the internet, especially electronics is always a risk you going to take and in your case even to live with the issues afterwards. I would recommend to take the phone to a Nokia approved repair center get a quotation and weight up your options from there. I would not send it back to the seller again. What if he dissapeard with the phone - what proof you have then. Atleast you have now something....Good luck

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If the seller is from Hong Kong, avoid him, Hong Kong is the king of fake products, Remember that. :)

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience, i love the L720 although i couldn't afford one at the time.

mxtremex6

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
As ur post suggests the phone has both hardware and software problems. Thus, getting it rectified all by urself may increase the mess, (unless u hav done this b4)
. Get the price quote from nokia and also from any such person who repairs phones, if the price diff is not much then get it done by the certified service center as they can give u a warranty over the repairs...and still u can sell off ur phone to get a new one, ..

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well the seller was located in the UK, so i obviously thought that the warrantly would be valid in Europe. But as i contacted nokia and gave them my IMEI number they told me the warrantly is only valid in Hong Kong. The seller gave 1 year warrantly according to the ad, but i'm sure he would just say the blocking is because of the scratch. He copy pasted mails for 15 times so....
The blocking ranges from when opening apps (opening it and then going back to the start screen), to just having a screen freeze (happens a lot too, even before the scratching), to having some things like a website multiple times on the screen, or being stuck on the transition (like when opening messages it 'flies' on the screen, but during the "flying", it gets stuck.

Lumia 720 screen freeze - YouTube

This is the video i sent the seller, but it seems that it just got worse in time. We don't have nokia care centers anymore, so i will contact nokia directly again. It was maybe naive to think that I would actually get 1 year of warrantly, and the seller didn't state where the warrantly is, so Hong Kong or Europe... On average I now have to reset the phone 6-8 times a day.

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Could try to call paypal and explain them the scenario.
I never buy from ebay unless its manufacturer warranty and that too valid in the country.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well obviously i wouldn't too, but I thought if you sell a phone in the uk, it's a uk phone you get (thus having warrantly in Europe). This was not the case and I did lose the paypal case. This will have cost me €83 extra and leaves me with a damaged phone. It is now in repair for the screen and the being stuck thing. I hope they can solve it without the need to replace other things too than the screen (as this would increase the costs).

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Repair costs: €121. I'm seriously considering not letting it repair, sell it on ebay for €100 and buying me a new one or another one. Damnit i'm pissed on the seller, the screen is 'only' 83, the damage for the blocking €50. What would you guys do? If i would buy a new lumia i'd certainly need a good case.
A new 920 with 24months contract is €270 (contract is as much as i pay now monthly, so basically would be the same).

I'm even considering going back to an asha Nokia..;

There's also a cashback action, the 720 is now €260. The reason why i consider a new lumia is that i'm sure i'd have the 2 year warrantly. Now I'd get the repaired one back, still without warrantly (though with warrantly on the repairs)

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried calling paypal people and explained them the scenario?
I am pretty sure if you talk nicely and tell them that the seller did not mention anywhere about the warranty that it is valid in HK and not EU.
They are pretty good people if you are nice to them, if you start swearing etc., they'll beat you up.
Remember, you have 45 days after making the payment to resolve any issues, once 45 days are over, man you are on your own.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes something around that, I wanted to return the item, but he kept on saying change the micro sd card, change the sim card, reset it, hard reset it, i'll contact nokia blablabla just to let the 45 days go by probably.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes something around that, I wanted to return the item, but he kept on saying change the micro sd card, change the sim card, reset it, hard reset it, i'll contact nokia blablabla just to let the 45 days go by probably.

I see, contact ebay now, call credit card people?

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
This is getting so frustrating. I got the phone back from Nokia, screen is repaired but the blocking is just the same or even got worse.. I'm awake for 1 hour and have to reset the phone already 3 times. I always have to set the date and time manually because it also doesn't change automatically. Nokia did put new firmware on it because the keyboards are not available anymore in asian languages.
I'm seriously considering throwing this phone out of the window and going back to Android. Everyone is talking about a fluent expierence with WP8. Just wanted to use Whatsapp, had to open the app 3 times because it always goes back to the start screen. Same with internet explorer. The blocking is extreme. I did write nokia about it before i sent the phone out for repair, they say I should wait for the Amber update. But i don't care if it's a Swahili, Asian or European phone, if this is the standard phone Nokia delivers in Asia they're dead. I wrote an angry email to Nokia politely explaining that i already paid 50% of the phone in repair costs and I want to see this problem solved asap. A new lumia 720 is ?250 right now. Already paid 121? in repair costs to Nokia + 280 for the phone itself. I hoped the blocking problems would be solved, but no. I'm seriously getting pissed off by it

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss