Battery drains faster after amber update for 720

engineblock

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Well it's true battery drain has increased after Amber. I have been using my L720 with amber for a week now (updated via NSU). The battery life has increased only if you do not use it much and only send calls, sms. Then the battery seems to be lasting for 3-4 days. However, even with slightest more usage than that, it drains faster.

Let me share some stats from battery sense. I only have two apps (Whatsapp & Battery Sense) allowed to run in background. NFC, Bluetooth, Mobile data are all off. Wifi also off when in office since our office wifi doesn't connect noncompliant devices. here's what I saw:

1. Day time (Wifi off, brightness set to medium, glance off, NFC off, bluetooth off, mobile data off)
wp_ss_20130927_0001_zpsc15438ff.png

2. (Wifi on, brightness set to medium, glance off, NFC off, bluetooth off, mobile data off)
Using wallpapers and ringtone apps to download wallpapers and ringtones, checking facebook, linkedin apps
wp_ss_20130927_0002_zpsd6a488e2.png

3. Put aside mobile after usage and after 5-8 minutes this shows up (Wifi on, brightness set to medium, glance off, NFC off, bluetooth off, mobile data off)
wp_ss_20130927_0003_zpse3b62c2d.png

I am observing this strange behavior every time. On standby, mobile is draining less but once I start using it with wifi or without wifi, discharge rate is usually about 15% and 7% respectively. Pre-Amber, it never crossed 2.4%

Christopher R M

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
That's a good thing to hear. I was afraid of updating my wife's 720 after my 620 drained very fast post amber update.

I did similar to my 620. Kept it discharged until off, then fully charged. Now battery drain rate seems to be normal if not better than pre amber update.

No 3G problem for you, Christopher? After amber update? I've lost 3G signal for few days after the update but returned normal in 3-4 days. Either because of repeated soft reset, or that Jupiter, Saturnus, and earth have disaligned..

I didn't have any issues with 3g signal drop.. it has been working fine; however, its taking a bit longer to switch from 2g to 3g..

Christopher R M

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Well it's true battery drain has increased after Amber. I have been using my L720 with amber for a week now (updated via NSU). The battery life has increased only if you do not use it much and only send calls, sms. Then the battery seems to be lasting for 3-4 days. However, even with slightest more usage than that, it drains faster.

Let me share some stats from battery sense. I only have two apps (Whatsapp & Battery Sense) allowed to run in background. NFC, Bluetooth, Mobile data are all off. Wifi also off when in office since our office wifi doesn't connect noncompliant devices. here's what I saw:

1. Day time (Wifi off, brightness set to medium, glance off, NFC off, bluetooth off, mobile data off)
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/Faisal2715/wp_ss_20130927_0001_zpsc15438ff.png

2. (Wifi on, brightness set to medium, glance off, NFC off, bluetooth off, mobile data off)
Using wallpapers and ringtone apps to download wallpapers and ringtones, checking facebook, linkedin apps
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f...aisal2715/wp_ss_20130927_0003_zpse3b62c2d.png

I am observing this strange behavior every time. On standby, mobile is draining less but once I start using it with wifi or without wifi, discharge rate is usually about 15% and 7% respectively. Pre-Amber, it never crossed 2.4%

interesting.. i believe that the discharge rate after amber update was similar to urs n my phone.. after i drained the battery to below 10% and charged it to 100%, it started working like hw it was before the amber update.. try this and let me know if it changes..

Sonal Sinha

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes i am also facing the same issue. Yesterday i played a game six-guns and then left the phone idle at night at 79%. In the morning when i woke up in 8 hours it was 34%. It never used to happen before previously. I quickly checked background tasks and could see the game running in the background tasks. I quickly blocked it.

Previously when i use my Nokia Pro cam on previous day and used WiFi battery drained 30% in 2 hours.

Earlier with similar usage i could get 2-3 days battery backup. Now i barely get a day's backup. And whoever says i wasn't using my phone earlier in similar way pls check i wrote with similar usage and also with heavy usage of gaming also i could last 2 days.

Now battery life has been terrible since amber update..... This is what i didn't like about Android phones till date and loved about Nokia Lumia 720...now its the same as Android..

FxhXenon

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
well my usage is as follow:

1. data always on (3G)
2. location always on
3. browsing/fb/whatsapps 1+ hours per day
4. no background task except whatsapp
5. no games/utube
6. screen brightness set to low.
7. battery saver on, advance setting to kick it off when battery is low (25% and below)

battery last around 24-25 hours. been using amber since it was first available through NSU updater (hard reset the phone before updating to amber)

michaelmm007

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
R u sure..??
I too installed procam and was working fine..
Y'day night i charged to 100% and in morning its almost 51%.
Almost 5% draining now during day time in standby mode.
Uninstalling procam rectified ur battery drain problem..???

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
many problem after update to amber for Lumia 720
more noise image when taking picture in low light, battery drains issue, bricks and more
since I haven't update to amber, I think I should hold it until gdr3 coming

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I asked Nokia Help on twitter and what they said is the same, tips tips tips to save battery. What I see is definately the battery is draining faster, is it related to the pro cam ? I dont know but definately the back up increases when data is off.

riteshbendre

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
As I read most of your problems.... i think OTA update has messed up something..so even master reset wouldn't help....

I would suggest to use Nokia Software Updater for Retail to download the current firmware version and flash the device from scratch,.... it will definitely help for sure....

(FYI - my 720 with Amber update & pro cam installed...gives me a battery life of 1.5 days .....
Usage?

- 5 hours of music in a day via bluetooth
- Facebook & Whatsapp connected in real time
- 3 email accounts with sync settings on (as items arrive)
- some gaming Where's my water and temple run for an hour
- taking 8-12 photos
- some web browsing 10-15 mins
- finally around 1-2 hrs of calling

and all this on 3G network :)

FxhXenon

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I asked Nokia Help on twitter and what they said is the same, tips tips tips to save battery. What I see is definately the battery is draining faster, is it related to the pro cam ? I dont know but definately the back up increases when data is off.

data connection (always turned on) is the main reason why battery drain so fast..turn it off while you're sleeping to conserve the battery..

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
As I read most of your problems.... i think OTA update has messed up something..so even master reset wouldn't help....

I would suggest to use Nokia Software Updater for Retail to download the current firmware version and flash the device from scratch,.... it will definitely help for sure....

(FYI - my 720 with Amber update & pro cam installed...gives me a battery life of 1.5 days .....
Usage?

- 5 hours of music in a day via bluetooth
- Facebook & Whatsapp connected in real time
- 3 email accounts with sync settings on (as items arrive)
- some gaming Where's my water and temple run for an hour
- taking 8-12 photos
- some web browsing 10-15 mins
- finally around 1-2 hrs of calling

and all this on 3G network :)
are you kidding me? Man thats a lot. My phone shows 1 day 5 hrs after full charge.

Harsha S

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, did you try restoring the phone back to Factory settings?
Even I am facing the same problem of battery draining out faster post Amber update.
If any one has already done the 'Restore Factory settings', please publish your results..!

Saikat Halder

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I am facing the same issue, after getting the amber update, the battery drained to today to 20% in 6 hrs from 80%, that too on stand by mode, with no download runing, no NFC, bluetooth, location or anything....what to do? please help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre