Nokia Lumia 720 Camera Picture Quality Issue !

adnan720

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
hello there,
i recently bought the lumia 720, and updated with amber gdr2

i noticed the camera picture quality is not great , as it should be
the
the picture have noisy , soft ,grainy pixels , when i zoom in to go in deep .

the picture quality is not sharp and clear . :(
after that i installed nokia pro camera app. and in this app i am getting pic more worse then using default camera picture quality.

even my previous nokia n97mini, 5 mp camera , have sharp and clear images .

i am very disappointing with the camera quality of lumia720.:unhappysweat:

adnan720

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I go Through the above mentioned thread , and its all about tutorial of photography , and get to know the functions of buttons and settings ,..........

i would like to mention here ,
i am a photographer and have a Nikon DSLR d5100, and used Nokia n97mini, for clicking purpose ....
i m aware all these things abt photography tutorials and settings ....

but the point is abt the 6.1 carl ziess lens of the lumia 720 is not much powerful ,
pictures comes very soft ,grainy and bursting pixles after processing from the camera by default.

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I have a 720 also and I tend to think that the picture quality was better before the amber update. But it is difficult to verify really.
And I had a N97 Mini few years ago (I still have it actually) and yes I also think the pictures came out clearer and sharper.
The Lumia 720 is pretty much a price entry phone while the N97mini was a high end model when it came out and it's very possible that the sensor in the N97mini is bigger than on the 720 (no idea here, just a guess). Maybe it's also a matter of how windows phone process the image compared to Symbian. From what I read Symbian seemed to do a better job here.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't completely agree to it. The Lumia 720 has a fantastic camera. I've attached some pics taken from my phone. And yes they were taken after the Amber update.

WP_20131006_17_36_45_Pro.jpgWP_20130911_00_16_37_Pro.jpgWP_20131006_17_52_17_Pro.jpgWP_20131006_17_49_11_Pro.jpg

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
IMO, the Lumia 720 camera is amazing, was better pre-Amber though. i took amazing pictures specially closeups, now its just meh.

I stopped taking pictures lately, cuz what ever i do, i'm not really satisfied, whats bugging me the most is the post processing of the Nokia Cam Pro.. agggg.

adnan720

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
yes , i think the image processor having issue after amber update ,
i never took pics before amber update , my phone is 3 days old and i updated to amber on the first day ,

after amber update , pics in gallery- blurry, soften , noisyu grains, not sharp, and pixel bursting , looks like VGA camera took those pics :(

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I think your first 2 pics have pretty good IQ for a phone. I don't think I ever got such result with my 720. The last 2 are basically what I have as a result, too noisy and not very sharp to my point of view (not criticizing your pics, just my opinion). But my opinion is probably biased by the fact that I carry my DSLR with me very often so I usually have a better option than my phone to take a photo.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I think your first 2 pics have pretty good IQ for a phone. I don't think I ever got such result with my 720. The last 2 are basically what I have as a result, too noisy and not very sharp to my point of view (not criticizing your pics, just my opinion). But my opinion is probably biased by the fact that I carry my DSLR with me very often so I usually have a better option than my phone to take a photo.

We can't just simply compare the Lumia 720 6.7 MP f1/1.9 cam to a D5100. For its price, its one of the best cam phones around.

Try manual settings in ProCam. Results are much better if you know how to fiddle with the settings.

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
We can't just simply compare the Lumia 720 6.7 MP f1/1.9 cam to a D5100. For its price, its one of the best cam phones around.

Try manual settings in ProCam. Results are much better if you know how to fiddle with the settings.

Sure we cannot compare, that's why I say my opinion is biased here. And yes for the price it's pretty good. Hope they can fix the picture processing issue in pro cam because appart from that pro cam is great and the UI really well done. I will do a test maybe today lunch time with the manual settings see how it goes...

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I go Through the above mentioned thread , and its all about tutorial of photography , and get to know the functions of buttons and settings ,..........

i would like to mention here ,
i am a photographer and have a Nikon DSLR d5100, and used Nokia n97mini, for clicking purpose ....
i m aware all these things abt photography tutorials and settings ....

but the point is abt the 6.1 carl ziess lens of the lumia 720 is not much powerful ,
pictures comes very soft ,grainy and bursting pixles after processing from the camera by default.

I don't own a dslr yet I can tell that after the GDR2+amber the photos appear even more grainy. I hate when an update creates a problem.

I even more hate it when camera360 slows down like hell.

EdSaver

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Uhmmm... I have the same trouble with the smart camera app but not with the nativity cam app. My Lumia 720 takes good photos. Maybe is just opinion, don't know. Post a photo. (sorry if my grammar is bad. English isn't my mother language.)

Sent from my RM-885_lta_lta_307 using Tapatalk

needkelly

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The camera before the amber update is awsome, after the update, i have the same inssues, the front camera before is great, after update is a desaster, why nokiasoft, why :/
most users have the same 'problems'

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I hate this
some time ago they confirm double tap2 wake won't be in 720
OK I will accept that

then after Amber Update for 720, problem coming from Camera, battery and else
I just think Microsoft really forget about low-end device and just give nonstable update for us :(

Abhilash1212

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Recently i bought Lumia 720. I noticed that the pictures captured from the cam are not sharp. They look too grainy. I have Amber running on my device. How to overcome this. It is very disappointing. how come 6.7 carl Zesiss can produce such dirty images. If the camera is such bad, Lumia 720 is a useless product.

Please guys help me out :confused::unhappysweat:

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
The camera quality had degraded after Amber. But things will improve after Black goes live and Nokia Camera is available for all devices officially. That said, little grainy pics don't make this phone useless. Check the pics I've posted above. Isn't that bad to crib about.

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Recently i bought Lumia 720. I noticed that the pictures captured from the cam are not sharp. They look too grainy. I have Amber running on my device. How to overcome this. It is very disappointing. how come 6.7 carl Zesiss can produce such dirty images. If the camera is such bad, Lumia 720 is a useless product.

Please guys help me out :confused::unhappysweat:
Hi

I Noticed the quality degraded after updating to amber but if you upgrade to GDR3 you will notice a slight improvement on the picture quality (well that's the feeling i have since i upgraded). Also keep in mind that Carl Zeiss or not it is still a very small sensor so you are very likely to have a decent amount of noise, that is just the way it is with small sensors.
Also I think that because it has a very large aperture F1.9 it will never be suited for landscapes or any photo that has details to be shown on a distant background. For landscapes you need depth of field and a f1.9 simply cannot give you that. On the contrary it performs pretty well for close ups or photos where the background isn't too distant because what you need in this case is shallow depth of field and that's exactly what a f1.9 is good at. If you process the photos in a software like rawtherapee it makes it close to perfect (but it doesn't help for landscapes).

So if you make sure the subject is well lit and that the background isn't too distant then you should have pretty good results. Maybe you can play with the white balance also, it can help.

Abhilash1212

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry dude, even i am a big fan of Lumia Series. I saw your pics they look great but compared to the pics i have taken from my mobile Mine were very ugly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos