Unable to Switch off Nokia Lumia 720.

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Try a soft reset, should help.
If connecting to a charger or USB port, it'll switch on.

It also happened to me when I manually flashed the GDR2/Amber rom to my L720 using the NSU for retail, phone would not turn off (note that it is unplugged) and would automatically restart, I tried to soft-reset, then hard-reset, and I reflashed it but still auto-restarts. Then I had the phone replaced under warranty and updated it OTA, and I found out the problem still persists.

TL;DR: the problem seems to be software related unique to the L720 where it does not shutdown fully but rather restarts even when it is unplugged.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
the problem seems to be software related unique to the L720 where it does not shutdown fully but rather restarts even when it is unplugged.

620s and 920 have also reported this problem after updating to Amber, so it's not 720 specific.

Mine did this initially after the update. Here's what worked for me: Switch off and wait until phone reboots. Once back on the lock screen, press the power button to shutdown again (do not unlock the device first) and then swipe to shutdown. With my phone, it shut down properly the second time.

As a further point on this, after exhibiting this strange shut down/reboot behaviour for several days, my phone is now back to normal and shuts down as it should. Not sure what happened, but it wasn't anything I did consciously. Perhaps it just needed to complete a whole bunch of background tasks after the update before it was working properly.

alien_ipis

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Try this: plug your phone to the computer then wait for 10 secs, right click on the usb hardware device icon at the right hand side then click on safely remove hardware. Wait for another 10 secs, unplug the phone then try to turn it off.

rohanwesz

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Try this: plug your phone to the computer then wait for 10 secs, right click on the usb hardware device icon at the right hand side then click on safely remove hardware. Wait for another 10 secs, unplug the phone then try to turn it off.

Worked for me. Incredible! Thanks.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

Is this a 'once only' permanent fix, or do you need to do this every time you want to turn your phone off?

alien_ipis

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
its a permanent fix. However, if you plug your phone again to a computer and forgot to click on "safely remove hardware" before unplugging the phone, the issue will re-occur.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

mmm...doesn't work for me. Only thing that works for me is to turn it off, wait until it reboots, then turn it off straight away again.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine worked perfectly at once.......

Try again and have patience

Sorry, but this doesn't work for me either. I have tried several times and no amount of patience will make it work. If it works permanently for you, then lucky you. It doesn't for me.

Anand Singh_2013

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I guess I have found the solution to this issue. I am using a 720 for the past 10 days and was facing the same problem, but then one night I turned off the 'MOBILE DATA' and then switched the phone off...and voila! it turned off without a glitch!! :D , to be sure , I turned it on again, then turned on the mobile data and switched off the phone..but it restarted...then as a last step to be certain, I turned off the mobile data and switched off the cell once more..and it turned off easily.....so that is it! turn off the mobile data before u turn off the phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss