Lumia 720 screen broke, emailed Stephen Elop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LYZ1999

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
This is my first time starting a thread on WPCentral, so do forgive me if I do something wrong

So basically what happened was that my Lumia 720 fell from my bed onto porcelain tiles in my home, and the screen totally cracked. (picture attached)photo.jpg
I measured the height, and its about 45cm/17.7 inches. I was extremely unhappy with the quality of this device, and knowing that Nokia Singapore would not help, I decided to email Mr Elop directly with my concern. My email thread is listed below.

Dear Mr. Elop,

I understand that you get many emails everyday, and that you might not have much time to look through this email. However, I would appreciate it if you could spare a bit of time to look through this email.

I am a 14-year-old student from Singapore, and I have always been a loyal Nokia fan since 2012. Having used the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, the Nokia Lumia 710 as well as the Nokia Lumia 720, I have began to develop a sense of trust in Nokia devices, and I believe that Nokia devices are some of the best on the market in many areas such as the playful design, the eye-catching colours, the great features and especially when it comes to their durability, which has been an integral part of Nokia devices since a long time ago. Friends who purchased Nokia devices also agree that Nokia devices are really great.

However, a recent experience with my Lumia 720, as well as the Nokia devices of some other friends, left me slightly in doubt of my initial assumption. Allow me to explain what happened with my Lumia 720. A few days ago, I was using my 720 on my bed. When I got off, the phone, which I had placed near the edge of the bed, unfortunately also fell off onto the homogeneous flooring in my home. What I had not expected, but happened, was that the screen on my 720 had shattered pretty badly (please refer to the attached photos of the blue 720). Though it landed face down, I was not expecting the phone screen to shatter with a 45cm/17.7 inch fall from my bed. Unfortunately, one of the cracks run right across the front-facing camera, which means that I can barely use it anymore. Also, the yellow Lumia 720 of a friend also had its screen cracked after a 90cm/35.4 inch drop onto ceramic tiles, so much so that the back button is barely visible, and the buttons on the device are also malfunctioning. The Lumia 925 of another friend also cracked after a short drop onto concrete flooring. I have attached photos of the damaged devices below.

I wish to link you to this video uploaded onto Nokia's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKnbjOwqkkA. This video talks about the different durability tests that Nokia devices go through, and claims that the phones will be able to survive "the hard knocks of everyday life". It also shows the drop test, where phones are dropped with great force onto steel flooring hundreds of times, as well as the test where phones are placed in a tumbler and knocked around for hours. When I initially watched this video, I was extremely impressed with the durability of Nokia devices. However, my phone, as well as the phones of my friends, stand to disprove this claim; my phone was not even able to survive a soft knock. I am slightly let down by the poor quality of our devices. I am not sure what the issue here is, but I believe that Nokia can do a much better job. With Corning Gorilla Glass 2 onboard, I had rather high expectations for my phone; unfortunately, it does not seem like my expectations were met. All these drops were accidental, and all of us don't mistreat our devices. However, I was expecting Nokia devices to survive these drops, as they do not exactly seem very demanding on the devices.

I am highlighting this issue in the hope that I might be able to get replacement devices for me and my friends, as it is not easy to live with a phone that has a cracked screen. It would be great if Nokia is able to replace our devices. We all feel that Nokia devices are some of the best devices that we have ever owned, and I wish to be able to keep with Nokia brand, as I feel that Nokia is capable of regaining its position as market leader, with many innovative devices being released recently, and I do hope that Nokia will be able to assist me in getting the devices replaced so that we can stay loyal to the Nokia brand, and have great things to say about the support we get from Nokia. Thank you very much for reading this email, and I wish you a great day ahead.

Yours Sincerely,

Hello there,

I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist.

Regards,

Stephen

Hello,

Greetings from the Nokia Care Team.

Thank you for contacting us with your concern.
We have logged your concern and are currently looking into it. Your service request number is ____________. Please allow us to handle the details of your case, and our local Nokia customer care team will get back to you shortly. Answers to many of your questions may be located online. Please visit www. Nokia.com/support for your Nokia product support needs.

Kind Regards,

Hani
Nokia Service Professional
Nokia Care

Escalation #: _______________

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us with your concern.

To properly assist you, please provide us with your most convenient callback number. This way, we can forward your concern to the local Nokia Care team.

Regards,

Welson R.
Nokia Careline

Dear ____________,

Thank you for your email.

Kindly provide us your contact details for us to keep in touch with you with regards to the Nokia Lumia device.

Thank you.

Warmest Regards,
Jasmin Rizhwana

Hi Jasmin,
Thanks for replying.
My contact details are as follows
Email:
Mobile:
Home:
Thank you very much and have a great day
Yours Sincerely,

Dear ___________,

As spoken,

Kindly bring the device to the Nokia Care Centre Harbourfront Centre as we will offer a last in warranty repair for your device. As for your friend?s device, we will need to access the device first.

Thank you.

Warmest Regards,
Jasmin Rizhwana

Hi,
Thanks for helping me with my device. However, I couldn't really understand the explanation just now for why warranty cannot be continued after this repair. Could you provide me with a more in-depth explanation via email? I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,

Thank you for your email.

We wish to clarify that Nokia?s Limited Warranty does not cover mobile device that was found to be physically damaged within the warranty period. On a goodwill basis, Nokia offered a last in warranty repair for the affected mobile device. Hence to say that there will be no further warranty for your mobile device after the repair.

Thank you

Warmest Regards,
Jasmin Rizhwana

The problem with this solution is that I bought my 720 in late September, which means that I'm effectively getting only 1.5 months of warranty, only 12.5% of the official warranty period, and this also means that any further defects on my phone will require out-warranty service

Should I accept the solution Nokia Singapore has provided (fix my screen but ending warranty), or should I argue for my warranty back? Ideas welcome! :)

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Dude, you dropped your phone, it broke because of you, not because of a fault with it. I would be VERY happy that they are offering to replace your cracked display and not argue with them because the alternative is paying ~$200 and keeping your warranty.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Dude, you dropped your phone, it broke because of you, not because of a fault with it. I would be VERY happy that they are offering to replace your cracked display and not argue with them because the alternative is paying ~$200 and keeping your warranty.

This. OP, are you not understanding the situation? Either accept their generous offer or replace the screen yourself.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
If you get someone else to fix your screen ie non Nokia you void your warranty, what about home content insurance ?? Could get you a new phone, then get Nokia to replace the screen and then sell the repaired one 😃

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
14-years my a$$, by the way you write, you must be at least 22 years old. or the education system in your country is fascinating.

now back to the subject, man, or kid, you should be very happy with what they gave you, after all, it is your fault, next time put your phone on a more trusted surface than the edge of your bed, or get a soft rug under your bed.

KPF

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, so lucky. I can't believe a phone manufacturer is offering to fix a cracked screen for free.

seelani

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The education system in Singapore is fantastic but that is besides the point. Sad to say warranty doesn't cover damage from falls. I dropped my 820 face down just this September as well, from my sofa though. And instead of the glass cracking the LCD inside cracked. That cost me 70 SGD to replace. Nokia is well known for their tough and durable phones but there are trade offs. A dumb phone can do what a smartphone can't, and a smartphone can do what a dumb phone can't.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
14???? Seriously....."homogeneous flooring." ok, I think you're either a pedantic 14 year old nerd (which 14 year old uses the term "homogeneous flooring" in a sentence) or a 20 something year old trickster. Either way, you're bloody lucky. You dropped your phone through your own stupidity. Nokia would have been well within their rights to respond with a two fingered salute. Take the solution they've been kind enough to offer and count your lucky stars.......or......buy an iPhone, drop it and contact Tim Cook to see his response.

LYZ1999

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Firstly, I am 14, and if you refuse to believe me, then it's your choice. Certain terms were used because I couldn't find replace (my mum told me that it was homogeneous tiles, I had no idea what to replace it with).

Next, I understand that people want me to be thankful. And I am thankful that Nokia Singapore has in fact been willing to let me service this for free. However, what I do not completely understand is the termination of warranty, because if that does happen I would effectively only be getting 1.5 months of warranty, which is pretty sad. Also, I am kinda suspecting this fault of being a manufacturing defect, as I'm not the only one who has dropped a 720 from a rather low height and found the screen cracked / phone damaged. Of course, I am accepting the fact that this is user error and that I do have a part to play in the breakage of the device, just that I was never expecting it to break after a 45cm fall, especially with Gorilla Glass 2 onboard the 720.

Also, thanks for the replies, really appreciate it, and yes I do understand that my initial tone might have come across as snobbish and stuck-up, but believe me when I say I am extremely satisfied that Nokia Singapore is willing to replace the screen, just that I'm not completely sure why my warranty needs to be terminated.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Because they will fix your screen but something else might have broken in the fall, they don't want to fix other stuff later because you dropped your phone

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Considering breaking your screen was user damage, regardless of how high it dropped it still dropped and broke. Thus voiding your original warranty. So instead of walking with a device not under warranty and a shattered screen, Nokia is giving you a new device still not covered but not shattered.

And the fact you are still arguing is pretty rude and if I was Nokia I wouldn't replace due to you never seemingly being satisfied.

Take the replacement, be thankful and buy a case.

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Firstly, I am 14, and if you refuse to believe me, then it's your choice. Certain terms were used because I couldn't find replace (my mum told me that it was homogeneous tiles, I had no idea what to replace it with).

Next, I understand that people want me to be thankful. And I am thankful that Nokia Singapore has in fact been willing to let me service this for free. However, what I do not completely understand is the termination of warranty, because if that does happen I would effectively only be getting 1.5 months of warranty, which is pretty sad. Also, I am kinda suspecting this fault of being a manufacturing defect, as I'm not the only one who has dropped a 720 from a rather low height and found the screen cracked / phone damaged. Of course, I am accepting the fact that this is user error and that I do have a part to play in the breakage of the device, just that I was never expecting it to break after a 45cm fall, especially with Gorilla Glass 2 onboard the 720.

Also, thanks for the replies, really appreciate it, and yes I do understand that my initial tone might have come across as snobbish and stuck-up, but believe me when I say I am extremely satisfied that Nokia Singapore is willing to replace the screen, just that I'm not completely sure why my warranty needs to be terminated.

Warranty for your device will be terminated because you damaged the device in a way that is not covered by the warranty, so Nokia will repair the screen only (which they do not have any obligation to, that's why they called it a goodwill gesture), also any and all problems from here going forward will not be covered by the warranty because it is assumed that the problems are caused by the original fall, which is user-error in the first place, that is why your warranty is voided. Understand?

Furthermore, Gorilla Glass 1, 2, or 3 in ANY phone will not guarantee indestructibility of the screen, as it is merely advertised to be scratch-resistant, yes the screen is more durable with GG2, but one should not expect any miracles. Especially in your case where the phone, even in low height, is dropped into the porcelain tiled floor, which is VERY hard, and it might have fallen in the corners of the screen which is the weakest and most crack prone part of the screen. One should not automatically assume that the phone is defective, it is just that there are many many factors that happens when the phone falls, and the OP might just had bad luck.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

you are damn lucky, I broke my L800 screen twice within warranty and the screen cost more than 50% of the total device cost, I would have been happy if similar deal was extended to me.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw this, I 100% thought the OP was joking. If my SP2 ever breaks, I'm emailing Ballmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077