Windows PHONE or Android mobile?

Raamind

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am planning to buy a mobile phone. I am confused between Android and Windows Mobile.
If i choose Windows, I might buy Nokia Lumia 720. If I choose Android, I may go for a Android mobile with 2 GB RAM and a better processor since I feel Android is resource hungry. Please suggest me if Lumia 720 is a good model or any other good models. If u feel Android is better, let me know the reason.

Below are my usage details and expectations.
Usage:
1) Facebook
2) Logged into gtalk and whats app
3) Web Browsing (local news, review sites, online magazines, song downloads)
4) Hearing songs
5) Taking Photos
6) E - Mailing

Expectations:
I am not a power user. But, I expect my mobile to be faster.
I don't use many apps. I very rarely play games in mobile. I want my mobile to have a bigger display but not those 5 or 5+ inches which i cant hold in one hand and use. Display, performance, camera, battery life, speaker and call quality are important for me.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I think given your usage pattern, the Lumia 720 is what the doctor ordered for.

1) Facebook and whatsapp work nicely. Not sure about gtalk though. But I'm sure it can be configured.
2) IE10 is a great browser. (There are many apps available for news, reviews etc.)
3) For music, you will find Nokia Music(now Nokia Mix Radio) a treat. It has a huge collection of music to choose from and download for free!!
4) The Lumia 720 has a great 6.7MP f1/1.9 Carl Zeiss camera. Its the best camera any phone can provide in its class.
5) Microsoft's Outlook syncs with all email providers and works flawlessly.

The Lumia 720 for is 512 MB RAM is very responsive. Interface is not sluggish. However the app load times are slower than that of devices with 1 GB RAM. That said, the difference in app load times are not alarming though. So it never feels slow. The 8 GB on-board memory is sufficient for most users. This can be upgraded using the Micro SD Memory Card. Also, the phone can be upgraded to WP 8.1 when released sometime next year. So it won't go obsolete.

The device has a great battery life and will last comfortably over a day with all bells and whistles enabled. Some users can stretch it to 3 days by using it cautiously.

The 4.3 inch screen is not too big and not too small. The phone fits in hand perfectly. I decided to purchase the phone as soon as I held the phone for the first time.
That was for the Lumia 720. Get a demo of the phone at your nearest Nokia Priority Centre and make your decision.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Regarding GTalk, there are two main options that i know of

an app called GTalk, and an app called IM+
GTalk is spartan and simple, IM+ is has been around for a while and connects to multiple accounts. They both seem to work, although my experience with them is minimal

ilovenokia

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I have both Samsung Galaxy S4 mini (Android 4.2) & Nokia Lumia 720

If I have to get one from them I will go for Android, Apps in Android have more functions.

Raamind

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Below things forced even a minimal user like me to sell Windows mobile just 25 days after purchase

1) No Google Talk client from Google for Windows phone. Third Party clients like GChat and Nimbuzz does not work. Only IM+ works. When someone pings me, I see a toast notification. Then, I unlock my phone. I click on IM+ tile. Then it refreshes and lists the contacts. Again I need to click on the contact to see what he has pinged. I need to cross these many steps to chat with someone.

Wonder if he this is a "smartphone". I was able to chat easily in my Android mobile and even in my Symbian running Nokia 5233, 3 years back!!

2) No quality alternative browser other than the poor IE which reloads page often eating up my time and data.

3) No option to switch off keyboard pop up. Hence, it limits typing speed (When there is an option, why didnt they provide an option to turn it off? Is there a free alternative keyboard that is of good quality? The answer is NO.)

4) U can’t upload more than 5 photos to facebook. I have uploaded as many as 18 photos via android mobile running 2.3 Gingerbread.

5) Email IDs of contacts are not synced when i sync my gmail account. (Does microsoft expect user to remember all the email IDs of the contacts whom he emails)

6) Even mostly widely used app like Facebook is very dull and minimalistic. On the day one of ur friend has a birthday, 100 people may have wished him. Annoying thing is you will see all the 100 wishes in ur news feed. Neither there is a way u can avoid it nor the app lists in a better way or provide option to control it). Another widely used app delivers a IM Whatsapp once delivered a message that is sent 3 days after it is sent.

7) Inconsistent battery life - Charge upto 80%. Open Settings and press Windows key (without closing the menu). Take an 8 hr sleep. Ur battery level will become 20%

8) Sit in an area where mobile network signal is poor and browse internet or facebook for 15 mins. Ur mobile will become "extremely hot". I am able to do the same job in the same location with other mobiles and they do NOT become hot.

9) Music Player and Equalizer are placed separately. I listen to music and when i want to change equalizer, I need to go to Settings --> Equalizer and so on.

10) Creation of contact has got many steps (No idea why it is designed so). Does the mobile import .vcf contacts? NO. Is there a way to delete multiple contacts at a ONE shot? NO. My 4 year old Nokia 5233 and Android mobiles allows me to do all of them

11) Tiles - They replace icons and there is so much of hype over it. Do they refresh on time and does it job properly?? The answer is NO.

12) Can u speak phone comfortably? NO. U need to place the phone in such a way that the earpiece is straight to the hole in ur ear. Place it elsewhere. U won’t hear what the other person speaks.

13) Apart from these there are enough things to annoy user like only one common volume that controls ringtone, music etc.,

14) Ok. Do Windows mobile have good resale value? No. I sold this mobile for 20% value of the price I bought after visiting so many shops.

Good camera, music and unibody alone do not make a good smart phone. Long way to go Nokia and Microsoft!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Below things forced even a minimal user like me ....<snip>. Long way to go Nokia and Microsoft!

Clearly you are not a minimal user with the number of fuss you've created about "keyboard pop ups" and the likes. Android was created with audience like yourself in mind. The one who loves to tinker and wants to customize the baby panda out of their phone. WP is about simplicity and having to do less crap with settings and using the phone as a phone.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
@rockstarzzz You just spoke my mind. Couldnt have said it better. This is what his expectation were and I quote "Expectations:
I am not a power user. But, I expect my mobile to be faster.
I don't use many apps. I very rarely play games in mobile. I want my mobile to have a bigger display but not those 5 or 5+ inches which i cant hold in one hand and use. Display, performance, camera, battery life, speaker and call quality are important for me. "

My friend thats why Window phone is what it is , its more of a simpler and personal phone than the makeup and glamour your searching for in everything @Raamind , this is not a phone in which you can install ten apps just for typing and then the same app can record what your typing. Gosh ! Seriously.
Clearly you are not a minimal user with the number of fuss you've created about "keyboard pop ups" and the likes. Android was created with audience like yourself in mind. The one who loves to tinker and wants to customize the baby panda out of their phone. WP is about simplicity and having to do less crap with settings and using the phone as a phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa