Lumia 720 or Lumia 925

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
If only people could understand that beauty varies from person to person ;). I find Lumia 925 nicer than Lumia 720 because of ALU frame.
To the author I would recomend Lumia 925 becuse of:
1. 1GB RAM, it will made differences about apps It is more future prof
2. HD AMOLED display, better resolution and more lively colors

I would`t worry about battery because i have Lumia 820 with 1650mAh battery and i get one day out of it, unless i play lot of games, than it must be charged also in afternoon . If money is`t very big problem i would go for 925.

farhanmariz

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a 720 right now I'm gonna get a 925 to replace it soon. Here are my reasons why:
1. Better specs with Dual Core 1.5GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM - Make everything loads faster (lesser of "Resuming..." and "Loading..." screen time, my main gripe with the 720) and better compatibility with newer apps.
2. HD AMOLED display - After using AMOLED displays with the N8 and N9, I find myself missing AMOLED so much. Not saying that the 720's IPS is bad, it's really good but yeah I just love deep blacks and vibrant colours. Oh and of course, the HD display. Plus, I can turn on Glance screen and double tap without wasting the battery much.
3. Better camera - This goes without saying. Plus, OIS is awesome.

One thing I think I'll miss is the battery life of the 720. It's nothing short of amazing. But that's the only cons I can think of besides having an expandable storage, which I'm not gonna use.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
In all honesty I would wait for the next generation Lumias. I have had a couple of 925s with questionable build/audio quality, and the IPS on the 720 has much to be desired.

docsp2

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I would go for an Amoled Display - but the L620 is also a very comfortable Phone to use and you can remove the battery there!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a L720, which has proved to be an excellent runner. Not being a gamer means I don't have an issue with the 512 megs of RAM. Camera is excellent - for very amateur purposes and battery life is very good too. However, I am looking forward to moving to another device - preferably a Nokia or whatever it is going to be called when MS gets their act together. Why? Because I want 4G capability. My most recent renewal of my SIM only contract gives me unlimited data (which includes tethering!) and a free 4G connection when it becomes available in where I live, which should happen in the next 6 months or so. Otherwise I would probably stay with the L720 at least sometime.

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
thank you all for your help! i don't play games and the long battery life is a big plus for me so right now i'm leaning towards the 720.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I would say the 925 , nokia trialled me one and bar no xenon flash the camera is a very very capable one , the only thing that limits the 925 is the 16gb memory with only about 12/13gb to the end user

I had to trim my music collection down loads and loads and rely more on streaming apps for music , I also had to only load the country map I was in instead of downloading many countries like I usually do for nokia sat nav , it was a pain only having 13gb to mess about with but skydrive works well and I found the device very nice to use although cant the 920 be had for less and has wireless charging and 32gb memory?? in the uk you can get the 920 from tescos for ?220 the 925 will cost you over ?330 so in the uk there is over ?100 difference ;-)

I would consider looking at the 920 you get all the features of the 925 and more and it will cost less ;-)

the 720 is a great device but I think for the price difference you could get the 920 (country dependant of course) and you would get more bang for your buck ;-)

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Well to be fair I dont think the comparison of 720 or 920\925 seems fair. Because there is a huge price difference between the 2 phones. Also if you pay more you get more features. But personally I have been using the 720 for 6 months and believe me it is worth every buck you have paid for. I have not used 925 but I am sure its a killer too, but I cannot guarantee whether it will give you the same battery that 720 gives. Also personally I think the body of 720 looks far better than 920. It looks so sleek that its almost like a thin bar of chocolate. :p But if you have the money get the latest phones ( always preferred).

I know this is a bit off topic but in India Lumia 720 has been voted as The Best phone Standing award of 2013 ( in the price range of under INR 20K = 300-310 $) by NDTV. And the competitors were big.

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Well to be fair I dont think the comparison of 720 or 920\925 seems fair. Because there is a huge price difference between the 2 phones. Also if you pay more you get more features. But personally I have been using the 720 for 6 months and believe me it is worth every buck you have paid for. I have not used 925 but I am sure its a killer too, but I cannot guarantee whether it will give you the same battery that 720 gives. Also personally I think the body of 720 looks far better than 920. It looks so sleek that its almost like a thin bar of chocolate. :p But if you have the money get the latest phones ( always preferred).

I know this is a bit off topic but in India Lumia 720 has been voted as The Best phone Standing award of 2013 ( in the price range of under INR 20K = 300-310 $) by NDTV. And the competitors were big.

well i know it's not really a fair comparison but those are the two lumias i've narrowed down to. too bad the 720 doesn't have double tap to wake :angry:

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I miss that too but do you know when first the Amber was released Lumia 720 was supposed to get double tap to wake? Later Nokia decide not to, I dont know why. Even now when I go to touch settings I can see the option for the milisec which then gets hidden. Weird.
well i know it's not really a fair comparison but those are the two lumias i've narrowed down to. too bad the 720 doesn't have double tap to wake :angry:

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I miss that too but do you know when first the Amber was released Lumia 720 was supposed to get double tap to wake? Later Nokia decide not to, I dont know why. Even now when I go to touch settings I can see the option for the milisec which then gets hidden. Weird.

Lol i think nokia is teasing you! they could easily enable double tap to wake if they wanted to. did you know the Asha 501 has double tap to wake? yes that cheap little phone has it. Weird.
Some of the videos i've seen on youtube show the 720 with Here Drive+ but when they released it it came with Here Drive.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I have done a lot of side by side comparisons of most of the Lumia line (I'm very indecisive.. Lol) 1 and I can tell you the 720 is a *ell of a phone. It feels just right, I not too heavy, but not to thick, and the screen is just fine. Your never gonna be side by side another 925 and regret it. I I'd also not read too much into the IPS vs AMOLED argument. The true is, they both have advanced technically where they are pretty much the same (Google IPS vs AMOLED and you'll see..)

The 925 is a really nice phone, but its aluminum and is a different look than other Lumia 's. I'm not knocking it, it's just not the traditional Lumia look. The camera is better but for practical purposes, not a lot better that the 720. Keep in mind, the the 720 cam was designed to preform well in low light, and which is where most phones fail.

All being said, I If the price difference is not much and you are OK with the look, the 925 may be the way to go. I wouldn't worry, however , about 512 vs 1gb, if your seriously considering the 720. Its a non issue for all but a few apps. You mentioned you were a concerned about getting the latest phone for future proofing yourself against obsolescence. The 720 and the 925 came out around the same time. You will be OK with either. What about the 1020? Not sure of the cost where you live. For what it's worth, I live overseas in a country where there is no carrier subsidies on phones so I have to really love a phone to pay the premium (1020 is 650usd, 925 is 450, and the 720 is 325) so I do a lot of soul searching, and thus the indecisiveness...

Good luck. Don't worry. whatever you get, you'll love.

Last edited:

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You are coming from iPhone right?? Then I don't think there will be much difference in battery life of 925 and any iPhone out there. 925 is better any day than 720, however if you can manage with 16GB memory. But, right now the best Lumia out there is 920. Yes, it is a bit heavy but I find no problem with the weight. It feels solid in hand. And again if you browse web a lot I think a LCD phone will be better for you. Cause, mostly web sites use white background and that is a battery killer for AMOLED.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had a 521, followed by an 822 and now I switch between an 810 and a 925. So I have had experience with IPS vs AMOLED display and also 512 MB vs 1GB RAM and 4G vs true LTE phones. I think the perfect phone would be a 16GB 925 with the weight of a 720, the battery life of a 720, the SD card of the 700/800 series phones and of course the camera from the 925 along with the LTE. As far as screens go, the 810/822 AMOLED is far superior to the 925 AMOLED IMHO. I love the LTE speeds on the 925 and the camera and the build quality but keep using my 810 as the daily driver since I prefer its screen (even though it is lower ppi the color quality is much better), and SD card capabilities (I have about 4GB in music and take a lot of pictures on a daily basis which are all saved to the SD card). I wish Nokia makes the 925 with the SD card slot and most of my gripes would go away:)

I do have a litany of issues with WP8 even after GDR3 though:)

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
so i decided to get the 720 and jefbeard911 you are absolutely right it just feels right. the size, weight, form factor is perfect in my hand! the phone is just so nice to look at. i got the glossy white and it does not feel as slippery as my old N9. the N9 had a silky smooth feel to and was quite slippery. with the glossy white unless you have dry skin it's not that slippery.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my 925 to get a 720. My reasons:

1. The 925 frame is soooo smooth that it feels like holding a soap bar. Too slippery = easy to drop. I had a few smartphones before and never dropped any of them. The 925 kissed the floor a few times, and the last one scratched the top right corner of the screen pretty bad. The 720 feels way more "secure".
  2. The back plate of the 925 was creaking and getting worse with time. The 720 is a single piece of plastic, no creaks (at least not on mine).
  3. The battery would last a day, maybe 1.5 days with moderate usage. The 720 is just superb, moderate usage 2.5 to 3 days.

I am NOT saying the 720 is a better phone and there's no doubt that technically the 925 is a better performer in every single aspect but battery life. The screen is something I miss, WVGA resolution s*cks with small fonts but I can live with that. Camera for me it doesn't really matter, it's not something I use every day and the 720 has a good camera, good enough for me. Same for memory, I am yet to find an app which doesn't work well with 512MB (and I don't need any of the 1GB exclusives). Processor speed, 925 is clearly faster but the 720 is also fast.

If you consider the price, it's hard to beat the 720.

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I just sold my 925 to get a 720. My reasons:

1. The 925 frame is soooo smooth that it feels like holding a soap bar. Too slippery = easy to drop. I had a few smartphones before and never dropped any of them. The 925 kissed the floor a few times, and the last one scratched the top right corner of the screen pretty bad. The 720 feels way more "secure".
  2. The back plate of the 925 was creaking and getting worse with time. The 720 is a single piece of plastic, no creaks (at least not on mine).
  3. The battery would last a day, maybe 1.5 days with moderate usage. The 720 is just superb, moderate usage 2.5 to 3 days.

I am NOT saying the 720 is a better phone and there's no doubt that technically the 925 is a better performer in every single aspect but battery life. The screen is something I miss, WVGA resolution s*cks with small fonts but I can live with that. Camera for me it doesn't really matter, it's not something I use every day and the 720 has a good camera, good enough for me. Same for memory, I am yet to find an app which doesn't work well with 512MB (and I don't need any of the 1GB exclusives). Processor speed, 925 is clearly faster but the 720 is also fast.

If you consider the price, it's hard to beat the 720.

now if this phone had 768x1280 pixels it would be perfect!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs