Audio irregularity with FM Radio

ErgoSum666

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
It seems like I am having this problem when listening to FM radio only, as far as I know, XBox music player is OK, it may seem like there is a problem with the earphones wire, but I've tried two earphones, same symptoms, the sound/audio changes, there is irregularity, or erratic audio level differences between right & left earphones, specially when there is movement, I tried shaking the handset and I got that symptom, when the earphone wire shifts, it happens too. sometimes it gets really low, then really loud. I am not sure what to do, it's quite disappointing.

PS: well, I know that this effect may be due to signal irregularities, but I didn't get that with my old Nokia 603, or Samsung Galaxy S3!

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
If the audio levels in the right and left channel vary then its probably a headset or handset issue. Because in FM, even if the signal fluctuates, the volume goes down on both sides equally !

ErgoSum666

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
yup, I never had this issue with any of my previous handsets, sadly. Just this one. I think it is a handset problem b/c I tried two different headsets.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It is the FM receiver switching between mono and stereo rapidly, and dropping to mono is what it does when the signal is poor. Basically, Nokia phones appear to have both excellent reception and poor reception at the same time. They will pick up stations well at great distance on mono, better than most other FM radios I've used, but you need to hold your phone against the transmitter to get consistent stereo. I live in a very excellent reception area (could pick up the BBC with a wet bit of string) and can find spots with good, consistent stereo. Mostly I get this fluctuation in stereo though. If you live in a more usual reception area the phone would drop to mono consistently though, so you wouldn't notice a problem (except you'd never get stereo). In a good reception area though, warble city. If it had the usual option to force mono it could be worked around, but this is the only FM radio I've ever used that has no manual mono setting. Why I've never seen this issue mentioned before I can't guess, but I expect it is universal.

ErgoSum666

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for the enlightenment, I was hoping that if I change handset, may be upgrade myself to Lumia 920 or so, I'd get a functioning FM Radio, but, as I can see from your informative response, that won't help, it's a manufacturing issue, is it exclusive to Lumia 720, or all Lumia's FM Radio have it?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
My 820 has this issue, so I guess the 920 has it too (same essential internals) as has your 720 and I can tell it's not a fault with my set. This is a poor mono/stereo switching algorithm I suspect, and that could be either MS or Nokia software at fault. Unless a non-Nokia WP owner is about, we can't be sure which.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If it's a Nokia software issue, that is a good question. It may only affect some models, though I wouldn't be surprised if the FM tuner hasn't had any changes between Qualcom chip revisions. If it's an MS software issue then I guess it would be likely to be a general issue affecting everyone, unless it's in an MS driver only Nokia devices leverage. Just thinking out loud here. I feel your sense of disappointment with this problem, and I do share it.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the Lumia 720 since May last year and have FM functionality since late September. I haven't yet faced any issues regarding Audio while listening to FM.

ErgoSum666

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Not an audio issue as much as it has something to do with mono/stereo switching, like AndyCalling said. I think the problem is my handset or else everybody would be complaining about it.

Any advice is appreciated -before I head down to Nokia Care- as I cannot seem to find anything on the web regarding this issue.

Last edited:

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I own a Lumia 720 too and all i listen to is the Radio and not the mp3. I also tend to live in an area where stereo reception can only be caught outside on the road that too not always. But when in mono, the audio levels are consistent on both sides. Take it to a service centre,ask them to re-install the firmware and see if the problem exists, otherwise it could be the earphone jack issue too or simply a manufacturing defect , good luck !!

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
happens, my 720 volume down key has stopped working since long, but the service center ppl want me to keep the phone for 3 days to get repaired which i cant afford :p

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
As I mentioned, anyone living in an average signal area won't easily notice the issue, as they will get consistent mono reception. It is only in excellent reception areas that the handset tries to go to stereo and ends up bouncing between stereo and mono because even an excellent reception area is not consistently 100% signal which stereo seems to require on these handsets. I honestly don't believe this is an individual handset fault issue, but a general bug with the software.

ErgoSum666

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much, AndyCalling. Actually the Nokia Care Agent told me so, yesterday, said 'all Lumia's have this issue.', and that mine is 'a good phone', etc. 'Normal for signal to fluctuate...' I am disappointed b/c I didn't have this problem even on my much cheaper Nokia 603. Funny thing is I don't regret having Lumia, I bought it on my free will, gave away my Samsung Galaxy S3 b/c it was ugly. WP is prettier. :S

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss