Lumia discharged completely. Battery not charging

Dhaval Metrani

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 720 with Windows 8 black update.
Battery was almost down when i tried to make a call. The moment i hit the call option, my phone got switched off. Now when i connect the charger via PC / wall charger, my phone is not getting charged. It does show a battery symbol with question mark on it for a few seconds but then screen goes blank. Phone does not start normally. Does not reset.
I have kept my phone for charging for over 2 hours now with no luck. I plan to visit the service center but any inputs before that would help.
Thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You must have drained the battery entirely! Leave the phone as it is charging from charger. In this case i will not opt for pc charging as pa charging is lot slower than usual charging. Wait for a few hours and try switching on your phone!! All the best!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey Davao welcome to WPC forums :smile:
If your phone is unresponsive, displaying a big exclamation mark, a combination of a gear and lightning bolt, or it gets stuck showing your OEM's logo (Nokia), press and hold both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. This should get your phone to restart properly again. Also try turning off the phone by pressing the volume down button until you see the exclamation mark. Then, reset the phone by pressing the following four buttons in this order: Volume up, Volume down, Power, Volume down. Your phone should now reset and restart itself (It might take a while for the process to complete)

Dhaval Metrani

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks you Abi and Himanshu for your inputs.
Hi Abi,
The battery had drained completely earlier as well. But on charging it showed the charging logo and my phone started in 5 mins. This time, its over 3 hours now and my phone screen is still blank. How long do you think i should wait?

Hi Himanshu,
My phone screen is blank and is not displaying anything. I have already tried the reset key combinations you mentioned but with no luck.

I would keep my phone charging for a few more hours and check if it works.

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
thanks you abi and himanshu for your inputs.
Hi abi,
the battery had drained completely earlier as well. But on charging it showed the charging logo and my phone started in 5 mins. This time, its over 3 hours now and my phone screen is still blank. How long do you think i should wait?

Hi himanshu,
my phone screen is blank and is not displaying anything. I have already tried the reset key combinations you mentioned but with no luck.

I would keep my phone charging for a few more hours and check if it works.

wait for a while. Let it charge completely . It will boot up once it has a fair amount of charge in it. Be patient for now. :)

Dhaval Metrani

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Usually 2-3 hours are good enough for 100% charging. its over 4 hours now. I plan to keep it for charging whole night today and see if it works. Would post my updates here.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
no you shouldn't charge it , this can melt the internals or a phone bombardment
what happens when you connect your phone to pc , does it still shows the icon , if so try this trouble with your nokia windows phone? Restore it with the official software recovery tool | windows phone central

[warn]remove your sd card from your phone , this will erase all your data from your phone , backup all your important data before doing a factory reset[/warn]

this could be useful!!

Dhaval Metrani

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My PC does not detect my phone. The display is still blank. Probably the battery is down hence it is not detecting my phone. I am downloading this tool to check if it helps.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No you shouldn't charge it , this can melt the internals or a phone bombardment

I keep reading this, but cannot figure out what you are trying to say...so I will respond based on my best guess at what was meant.
Charging the phone won't melt it. In fact modern phones when drained too far down will perform a very low powered trickle charge until they are able to turn on and initiate charging at a higher rate.

It ideally needs to be done using the genuine OEM charger plugged into the wall, not a PC since they will charge at an even slower rate.

In the past I've had phones that were so drained that it took hours for them to have enough charge to turn back on.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading this, but cannot figure out what you are trying to say...so I will respond based on my best guess at what was meant.

Charging the phone won't melt it. In fact modern phones when drained too far down will perform a very low powered trickle charge until they are able to turn on and initiate charging at a higher rate.

It ideally needs to be done using the genuine OEM charger plugged into the wall, not a PC since they will charge at an even slower rate.

In the past I've had phones that were so drained that it took hours for them to have enough charge to turn back on.

His phone is bricked at moment , there are high chances he might damage his phone

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So you have physically inspected it and verified it is bricked?

I've had phones take up to 15 hours to trickle charge enough to turn back on...and nothing will detect them until they have at least that minimum charge.

When they are severely depleted they won't show up in any tool since the only part of the USB protocol functioning is a super low power mode.

There is literally a less than 0.0001% chance of damage from a charging attempt here...and that is even if it is bricked...which I consider highly unlikely.

Dhaval Metrani

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Morpheus,

My phone is in turned off mode at present and i have used the genuine Nokia wall charger supplied by Nokia to charge the phone. Over 5 hours now.
Once every hour, i check with my PC to see if it is detected. Would you suggest charging it overnight via original charger?

Regards.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Morpheus,

My phone is in turned off mode at present and i have used the genuine Nokia wall charger supplied by Nokia to charge the phone. Over 5 hours now.
Once every hour, i check with my PC to see if it is detected. Would you suggest charging it overnight via original charger?

Regards.

I would indeed recommend that. Don't worry about testing it constantly on the PC either.

There's not a tool on earth that will detect that phone if it is depleted to the point that it cannot establish a proper USB connection. Even blind flashing requires that the device at least have some charge stored up.

So it needs time (sometimes lots of it) in order for the super low trickle to establish enough power at which point if the phone itself is fine it will kick on and it will behave normally.

If after 24 hours of charging it hasn't turned on then it is safe to assume something has gone wrong.

However even in that case the odds of physical damage (melting, fire, etc) from the attempt are so close to 0 as to be insignificant.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I bricked my iPhone 4 in 2012 , connecting via iTunes didn't helped , I thought it must be a battery issue so I plugged it in via original apple wall charger , after 4-5 hours phone was blowing up , I could smell that something fishy inside the phone , I disconnected it immediately and put phone outside , apple didn't replaced that for me stating battery was about to exposed and you must have played with internal parts , really I, crappy raw apple :(

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I bricked my iPhone 4 in 2012 , connecting via iTunes didn't helped , I thought it must be a battery issue so I plugged it in via original apple wall charger , after 4-5 hours phone was blowing up , I could smell that something fishy inside the phone , I disconnected it immediately and put phone outside , apple didn't replaced that for me stating battery was about to exposed and you must have played with internal parts , really I, crappy raw apple :(

That's a fairly unusual case. I believe you, of course, but things like that are another reason that I avoid Apple products. They use a proprietary charging protocol that doesn't follow the USB standard.

That's not the case with WP devices, luckily. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos