Using 720--want to upgrade! Anyone to help?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok.

No. Only in pics! Unfortunately they dnt have 730 in the store here. 😡
But as far as the spec sheet goes, it's a good phone, as capable as 830! And light in weight too.

Btw in eBay I saw 830 in a much lesser price, while in amazon it costs way more! Why is that? And speaking of which, should I buy from eBay or should I not?

Plus are there two editions of 830? Like one of 16gb and one with 64gb? Sorry for asking such a stupid thing, but I was not aware of that and noticed it on eBay just only yesterday!

Well to be honest i don't know because i never used any of them - neither are popular in my country. If you're concerned about purchase reliability, i think you'll be fine on both. The're reliable companies AFAIK... Anything else i can't say for sure, sorry.

And no, all 830s comes with 16 gb

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Well to be honest i don't know because i never used any of them - neither are popular in my country. If you're concerned about purchase reliability, i think you'll be fine on both. The're reliable companies AFAIK... Anything else i can't say for sure, sorry.

And no, all 830s comes with 16 gb

oh ok. Thanks. I saw 64gb and I was confused and thought it was me who was in the dark about it ! Donno how the hell they are showing it then!

Yeah I was wondering whether it's reliable to buy online,since I never did before! But thanks again for the info. :)

P.s. I am bugging you a lot I know but can't help it since I know so little!
Besides am kind of lost what to go for. Here the store boys arent helping much either. They keep on discouraging and ask to go for Androids instead! 😐

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
oh ok. Thanks. I saw 64gb and I was confused and thought it was me who was in the dark about it ! Donno how the hell they are showing it then!

Yeah I was wondering whether it's reliable to buy online,since I never did before! But thanks again for the info. :)

P.s. I am bugging you a lot I know but can't help it since I know so little!
Besides am kind of lost what to go for. Here the store boys arent helping much either. They keep on discouraging and ask to go for Androids instead! ��

lol don't worry, i'm always happy to help someone! (as pretty much everyone on this forum). Ask as much as you want to make sure you're getting what you want (or not getting anything at all in the end) :amaze:
Maybe someone else can help you about Amazon and eBay. Taking a look at a product's reviews written by other buyers (if available) should help a lot too. And don't hear those sellers, they don't know what they're talking about and will always try to shove Androids on your face :winktongue:

nic2kaza

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I am using a lumia 720 currently, for the last one and a half years now! And i am very happy with it. :)

But i want to opt for a new windows phone. So which one would you think would be a just upgrade?

And also what do you think about lumia 630 and Microsoft lumia 640? What are your reflections on both the sets?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

How about a Nokia, yes it's a Nokia, the last Nokia Lumia, the 735..? Covers all your bases, & has removable battery too..? Back covers are needed for wireless charging, but the fit onto the device, becoming a new back to the phone, not a clip over like the 720, which I own, & love too...

nic2kaza

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
"price-wise, you should stick to either the 640 or the 730/735. Both are decent replacements, but you'll lose Glance screen on the 730/735 and dedicated camera button on any of them."

No Glance screen on 735..? You sure..? However, this will be updated to WP10 & is one of only two devices running 8.1.2 with the 640 & XL. I'd go for 735 when I update my 720. The 730, I suppose is the dual sim..? I'm not going to run WP10 on my 512RAM 720, I'll get a 735 & then update...

Last edited:

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
"price-wise, you should stick to either the 640 or the 730/735. Both are decent replacements, but you'll lose Glance screen on the 730/735 and dedicated camera button on any of them."

No Glance screen on 735..? You sure..? However, this will be updated to WP10 & is one of only two devices running 8.1.2 with the 640 & XL. I'd go for 735 when I update my 720. The 730, I suppose is the dual sim..? I'm not going to run WP10 on my 512RAM 720, I'll get a 735 & then update...

unfortunately the only x30 series phones that have Glance are the 830 and 532. A major screw up by Microsoft in my opinion.

Last edited:

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
lol don't worry, i'm always happy to help someone! (as pretty much everyone on this forum). Ask as much as you want to make sure you're getting what you want (or not getting anything at all in the end) :amaze:

Thanks so much! 😊
The past few days i was kind of busy! Sorry for the late reply.

Well...I thought a lot. And considering all the pros n cons i have decided to wait for the next MS flagship. If those doesn't suit me, then I will take the 830! (Actually i am pretty much keen on this one,since it carries the nokia' logo!) *nostalgic*

Maybe someone else can help you about Amazon and eBay. Taking a look at a product's reviews written by other buyers (if available) should help a lot too. And don't hear those sellers, they don't know what they're talking about and will always try to shove Androids on your face :winktongue:
yeah right. That's what they are doing exactly! Trying to push me towards AD! They say windows are finished. (MS-that's what they mean actually!) And i disagreed. But they still went on arguing n i thought it's better to save my energy, instead of trying to tell them something they would never accept! 😐

Thanks. I read the reviews n i see 830 is a damn successful handset. 😊 The reviews for 730/735 are good too! Now lets see...what device, is in store for me!

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
How about a Nokia, yes it's a Nokia, the last Nokia Lumia, the 735..? Covers all your bases, & has removable battery too..? Back covers are needed for wireless charging, but the fit onto the device, becoming a new back to the phone, not a clip over like the 720, which I own, & love too...

thanks. Yeah i liked the 735! Are the covers changeable? Would be great then! 😊

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site

hmm. Yeah. 735 seems like a wise choice to me as well, at the moment.

840 is not bad too.

Let's see....

Thanks for the help btw. 😊

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes that looks absolutely fine. The problem I had with both of the 830's I tried was that in "peek" mode, Glance screen was slow to display or did not display at all when passing a hand over the proximity sensor. The other problem was that the Glance screen would often come on very very dim and then brighten up to a normal level about 30-45 seconds later. Could be that I was unlucky with the devices I tried but the 720 has none of the above issues. Would be interested to hear your opinion when yours arrives!

Good morning Blackadder. Baldrick calling. It looks like I will finally receive my new 830 tomorrow. Is was a difficult chase as my provider ( Vodacom = daughter of Vodafone) found one laying around in one of their many outlets. It obviously was a lousy seller as it was so hard to find one.
Anyway, the weather is miserable here in Kalk Bay so I'll have plenty of time to play around as soon as I have a nano sim to start things. I'll keep you in the picture how it compares to my faithful 720.

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Good morning Blackadder. Baldrick calling. It looks like I will finally receive my new 830 tomorrow. Is was a difficult chase as my provider ( Vodacom = daughter of Vodafone) found one laying around in one of their many outlets. It obviously was a lousy seller as it was so hard to find one.
Anyway, the weather is miserable here in Kalk Bay so I'll have plenty of time to play around as soon as I have a nano sim to start things. I'll keep you in the picture how it compares to my faithful 720.
Hi Baldrick! Yes, do let me know how you get on with the 830. I've ended up with a used 925 off eBay, at least for the moment. It's a really nice device, good Glance performance and a bright sharp display. Battery life not as good as the 720 but manageable. 720 is now my backup phone. Having a reasonably good English summer at the moment which means it's similar to a SA winter! Look forward to hearing your opinion of the 830 😊

CSS720

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Wait for a Win10 phone dude!.. Do not upgrade. No other current phone matches with the design and performance of L720. I just installed Win 10 Mobile Tech Preview Build 10166 on L720. It works well with minor glitches

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Baldrick! Yes, do let me know how you get on with the 830. I've ended up with a used 925 off eBay, at least for the moment. It's a really nice device, good Glance performance and a bright sharp display. Battery life not as good as the 720 but manageable. 720 is now my backup phone. Having a reasonably good English summer at the moment which means it's similar to a SA winter! Look forward to hearing your opinion of the 830 😊

Bad news my dear Blackadder. Unfortunately there is no 830 available anymore through my provider. I have therefor decided on a Lumia 640 mainly because of the many positive reviews and the perfect battery life. It better be superior to my 720 which I'm going to keep as my back up device.
Good luck with your 925!

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Ah yes I think the 640 will prove to be a good choice, I've read good things about it. Don't part with the 720 though, they don't make 'em like that any more! Greetings from UK 😊

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Greetings from sunny Kalk Bay my UK friend!
Just to keep you updated: my provider ( Vodacom SA ) is slowly but surely fasing out all Nokia/Microsoft phones so I'm still using my trusted 720. The only one available through Vodacom is a 435 and that's a absolute no no...
Tried in vain to locate either a new 830 or 640 but alas no luck. So it looks like I'm going to be stuck with my 720 for a while longer which actually isn't such a bad thing.
Good luck with your 925/720 and keep me posted...

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Pieter!
Sorry you are having trouble finding an upgrade to the 720, but that's because its such a good device. I'm loving my 925 which is a Vodafone special edition with 32GB memory. It's the only one I've found which is a worthy upgrade to the 720, although they'll have to pry that one from my dying fingers (keeping it as a backup).
Just fitted them both with wireless charging which is really nice!
Cheers from UK 😊

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
You know what, Blackadder, I don't really mind keeping my 720 for another year because I'm not so sure another device will serve just as well. The 720 works and looks like day one and because I've invested so much on wireless charging ( I've got the covers in black, white, yellow and red ) an upgrade would really be an excessive luxury.
Btw I was born in 1947, does that makes us old tech freaks or am I insulting you now?
All the best from Kalk Bay, the quaintest little town in all of SA!

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Good Morning dear Blackadder. Hope all is well in this so called winter in the UK. We're having a terrific spring so far and I'm sure summer is going to be great. The battery of my beloved 720 started deteriorating quite fast lately and didn't even last a day with average use. Replacing the battery proved to be quite pricy and risky that the screen might not survive.....
So yesterday I've finally taken the plunge and got myself a brand new white 830 from the Nokia boys in Cape Town. Was a steal at R 2000,- (? 90). Got myself a nano SIM and after playing around a bit yesterday I must admit that it's a great phone and I haven't noticed any of the problems you've had. Glance screen is equal to my old 720 and I'm sure I'll get used to the slightly bigger size.
Tried for a 925 but they're extremely hard to come by, especially a new one.
Have a wonderful festive season and all the best for 2016....

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Baldric! Sorry for the late reply, I use the Windows Central app and only just noticed your last message. Glad you found a suitable replacement for the 720 and that it does not have the issues that I experienced with the 830's that I tried...perhaps I was just unlucky. My 925 is still going strong. Very best wishes for 2016 from a wet UK 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss