730 phone is dead already before it arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I knew he was a past executive of Oppo and left the company to start this project. Well, investors have their money invested in different companies so that doesn't make the companies subsidiaries.

Also, I have to disagree with people not knowing about operating systems. At least in my country, people may not know about iOS or WP but the name android is synonymous with smartphones/good phones so much so that it even overtook brands like Nokia because they weren't running on android.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Effectively, it is. The CEO of the firm producing the OnePlus One is a major shareholder in Oppo. It will be released on general sale in the UK in "the last quarter of 2014".

Specs do matter because that's what buyers look at. However we need to remember that other things, such as brand reputation, mean a lot to people too. People love brands. For everybody who buys a OnePlus One there will be ten more who dismiss it because they have never heard of them. Take Huawei for example, biggest manufacturer in the world yet in the West they are conceived as a minor brand. How about Xiaomi. Never heard of them? They make some very highly specced phones and now outsell Apple in China! But you don't see many here. Market a Xiaomi over here and you will find it costs a lot less than the mainstream brands over here, but take the same phone and put a Samsung badge on it, slap ?100 on the price and you will sell millions more.

Phone operating systems are less of an issue because most people do not know how to compare them so they look at the specs. A lot of people don't even realise that (for example) Samsung, Nokia and Apple phones all work differently, they only see screen sizes and megapixel cameras. Not convinced? Take a look at sites selling prepay phones and look at the bullet points - ever noticed that you rarely see in the feature list, "android phone", "windows phone" or "iOS"? Most casual buyers don't have a clue, they just want "a nice phone" with a brand name they have heard of and (think they) can rely on.

Thank you. That's what I have been trying to say all along.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. That's what I have been trying to say all along.

What?!?!?! When were you ever trying to make that point? When the thread title was "Lumia 730 dead before it arrives"? Or when you listed a bunch of high-end specs at a low price? It sounds like you were trying to make a point, got proven wrong, and are now trying to change points to save face.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I knew he was a past executive of Oppo and left the company to start this project. Well, investors have their money invested in different companies so that doesn't make the companies subsidiaries.

Also, I have to disagree with people not knowing about operating systems. At least in my country, people may not know about iOS or WP but the name android is synonymous with smartphones/good phones so much so that it even overtook brands like Nokia because they weren't running on android.

People know of the existence of operating systems but in the main the majority of phone buyers are simply looking for something they like the look of and will like using. Your comment, that android phones overtook Nokia, proves the point. They buy android because that's the buzzword of the moment, not because they know what they are buying.

I can practically guarantee that if you stopped 100 people in the street and asked them what operating system their phone used and what version, half of them wouldn't know the answer to or even understand the first question and a much higher percentage wouldn't be able to answer the second one.

You only need to look at Samsung. The build quality is often poor at best but because people know the name, rather than are knowledgeable about the product, they sell. If brands like Huawei or Xiaomi had stolen a march in the market in the West before people got to know the name "Samsung", or if Nokia had concentrating on android phones from day one then people would be buying those brands instead.

Alses

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Why are huge screens always seen as a plus? I ride a bike and wear non-baggy jeans. Where am I going to fit it? On a bicycle-trailer? :winktongue:
EDIT:
Also, don't 51 percent of the population, eg women, have smaller hands than the other 49 percent?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
What?!?!?! When were you ever trying to make that point? When the thread title was "Lumia 730 dead before it arrives"? Or when you listed a bunch of high-end specs at a low price? It sounds like you were trying to make a point, got proven wrong, and are now trying to change points to save face.

Is this guy for real??? I listed a bunch of high end specs at a low price to make the EXACT POINT THAT THE 730 IS DEAD !!!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think WPC leaked that the 730 will be $240? I think that price MIGHT be fair, but only if it has a 720p screen. I think you have to compare the 730 with the Moto G. The moto G is priced at $179 but it comes with the exact same specs + 720p screen. 800x480 is just way too low end these days, especially above $200

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think WPC leaked that the 730 will be $240? I think that price MIGHT be fair, but only if it has a 720p screen. I think you have to compare the 730 with the Moto G. The moto G is priced at $179 but it comes with the exact same specs + 720p screen. 800x480 is just way too low end these days, especially above $200
It looks like there's a general reference design for the very purpose of taking on the Moto G, i.e. 720p screen, S200 CPU, 1GB RAM and 8MP camera. The new OEMs picking up Windows Phone (e.g. Hi Sense, Prestigio, Micromax etc) seem to have adopted it and are pushing WPs at $100-150 off-contract.

That said, I don't think Microsoft/Nokia will directly compete with their WP partners. In other words, we won't see a direct Moto G competitor (specs and price wise) from Microsoft. If anything, the Lumia series moving forward will probably sit at the upper-end of each segment, e.g. Lumia 730 at the upper-end of the mid-range.

If what I am saying is correct, I'd be interested in seeing what the OEMs come up with in the "affordable high-end phone" segment to compliment the L830. I really hope Microsoft sent the OEMs a $300/$350 reference design, and I hope it's loaded with at least the S600 CPU and - hopefully - 2GB RAM, I can make do with a 720p screen in that case.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Is this guy for real??? I listed a bunch of high end specs at a low price to make the EXACT POINT THAT THE 730 IS DEAD !!!

You're.... You're not serious are you? The person you responded to was talking about brands and how Chinese companies are trying to make names for themselves and the like and you're all "Specs! Specs! Specs! Specs!". Come on dude, you've already been shown many legitimate points that contradict what you're saying. Just let it go.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
You're.... You're not serious are you? The person you responded to was talking about brands and how Chinese companies are trying to make names for themselves and the like and you're all "Specs! Specs! Specs! Specs!". Come on dude, you've already been shown many legitimate points that contradict what you're saying. Just let it go.

Your really getting confused on this. What you said is exactly my point. You keep saying what I am saying and yet...saying I am wrong?? 730 is dead as there is better specs out there at lower price...that's the point I am making...you keep repeating that back to me and say I am wrong,yet.....that's the whole point I am making

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Your really getting confused on this. What you said is exactly my point. You keep saying what I am saying and yet...saying I am wrong?? 730 is dead as there is better specs out there at lower price...that's the point I am making...you keep repeating that back to me and say I am wrong,yet.....that's the whole point I am making

The guy before talked about how OnePlus is trying to compete with all these big boys like Samsung, HTC, Sony, Nokia, etc. but they don't have that branding power
Selling "the One" with that specs at crazy price point is their strategy to be well-known
At this point, it's clear that he didn't re-state your argument

But then again, "the One" only released limitedly while the other big boys sell their phone worldwide.
And that, my friend, won't be enough for OnePlus One to kill anyone or anything

You are the one who is confused and your stubbornness is simply infuriating

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Quoted by bijak_riyandi

"But then again, "the One" only released limitedly while the other big boys sell their phone worldwide.
And that, my friend, won't be enough for OnePlus One to kill anyone or anything

You are the one who is confused and your stubbornness is simply infuriating"

Well that's funny as "the one" is officially rolled out to England to be bought and sold in all phone shops as confirmed by a few retailers I spoke to.

I find your lack of knowledge and being a retard simply infuriating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12