Lumia 730 - phone hangs while dialing a number when phone restores from low network coverage

coltopi003

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem too, I got this phone about 5 days ago... Please post here if you have found solutions how to resolve this... I hope Microsoft somehow heard about this issue..

Anil Semwal1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I am also having the same problem. While I am in low signal area and dial any number, it says "Dialling" indefinitely. When I click on end it says "Ending: indefinitely. Calling hangs for ever and I neither receive the calls not is able to make additional calls. This is very frustrating. I love Windows OS and big fan of Microsoft softwares. However, this is very disheartening.

impresent

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

i am the first person who bought lumia 730 in my city. Phone looks awesome. performance is so good.

I have one problem which is frustrating me like any thing.

Problem:
When phone restores from low network coverage or data connectivity changes from 2G to 3G. Phone is getting hang like anything.

In detail:

when network connectivity restores from low coverage or some times either one sim lost its network coverage. network coverage is showing as full but when i dial a number there is no sound and it displays as dialing, i have waited for 5 min and more but still displays as dialing. when i tried to end the call the same thing happening and it displays as ending. the phone hangs there and is dead hang

to dial a number i need to restart the phone. after restarting the phone it works fine. i am doing 4 to 5 time per day.

For troubleshooting i have done below steps.

1.swapped the Sims between 1 and 2.
2. Tried using the phone in one sim.
3. Purchased new micro sim.
4. disabled the sim swapping settings.
5. kept the data connectivity from 3G to 2 G.
5. Reset the phone.

when i have contacted authorized nokia care, they have no solution for this. when i asked to re-install the windows or denim update. they have no data. they have asked for a video for this problem and i have captured it and need to submit to nokia.

windows phone lovers - if you have any other solution. please update or if you have same problem join with me.

thank you.

I have the similar problem..other than this the translator and facebook app does not open on this. I re intalled them many times. I recommend not to buy this phone.

Aboliss

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi All, my girlfriend's lumia 730 has this same freezing problem, which occurs when dialing or ending call.
Someone on Microsoft site suggested the following:
- set manual APN settings
- turn off dual SIM settings in network+

Apparently this fixed the problem for the person.

I cannot try this just yet, so can anyone with this problem try to see if this works?

Thanks.

Oh, and the link to that site is:

nokia lumia 730 freeze while dialing & ending the call - Microsoft Community

coltopi003

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys I found some temporary fix to this network problem.. you can try if this works on you..
On cellular+sim setting, go to Sim 1 & Sim 2 settings, on the network selection do not select automatic, search for network manually then select your home network. do this for Sim 1 and Sim 2 if you have 2 sims inserted.
I have not experience this bug for a while since I change this setting even at low network coverage..

Hopefulcustomer

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys I found some temporary fix to this network problem.. you can try if this works on you..
On cellular+sim setting, go to Sim 1 & Sim 2 settings, on the network selection do not select automatic, search for network manually then select your home network. do this for Sim 1 and Sim 2 if you have 2 sims inserted.
I have not experience this bug for a while since I change this setting even at low network coverage..

Hi, coltopi003, thanks for the tip. Will try it. How long have you managed without the problem now?
Thank you

Aboliss

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I can confirm that by setting the networks to manual, not automatic, the freezing has not occurred for the last three days. This might be a temporary fix to the problem, though I hope this will be resolved by a future update. MS should be notified of this.

Hopefulcustomer

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Aboliss, I tried setting the connection to manual, but no use. It happened again. Have you also switched off 3G? I have tried so many combinations of settings that I no longer know what I have or have not left undone. And do not be complacent; even after an interval of three days, the bug may attack, as it did in my case, thrice a day. I wonder whether we are chasing our tails trying to fix a fundamentally flawed bit of hardware.
Others who have this problem, please rally and complain on a single thread to Microsoft. If they do not receive enough complaints, they may presume it's not a bug that's worth fixing. The MS Answers thread cited above relates to the same problem.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
<edit> This theory is pretty much ruled out by posts appearing below this one...

Question:

Is it possible SIM 1 & SIM 2 are both running on same frequencies and L730 trapped between choices? Is there background data simultaneous on Data Enabled SIM when Call attempted on Voice Only SIM to force confusion between data/voice on same Frequency requests?

Anyone tried shutting down all background data as a test of root cause?

Last edited:

Hopefulcustomer

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Dear RumouredNow,

Thank you for your response. I use the phone with only one sim, so it can't be the first possibility (or could it? I'm what is dismissed contemptuously as a noob). Forgive my ignorance, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "simultaneous background data"; however, I shall, as you suggested, test the phone by switching background data off. I do hope that this isn't a hardware malfunction. Fingers crossed for all our sakes!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A lot of users run two SIM cards within their home area to take advantage of one plan for cheap voice and another plan for cheap data...

So if an App was trying to use background data in SIM One while a voice call was being requested in SIM Two... AND... the 2 SIM cards were actually on the same frequency it might cause conflict.

So that can't be your issue, Hopefulcustomer. But thank you for replying.

Aboliss

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
In my case, the 3G was turned on, but data is not used on any of the two SIM cards. So I have just changed the network selection to manual, and so far, after 4 days I think, there were no reboots required. Hopefully it will stay like that. I will update this post in a few days to confirm it really works. Good luck everyone!

Hopefulcustomer

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Dear Aboliss,
Greatly encouraged by your good news. I'll attempt the same. Please do tell us how your experiment fares. Have you also set up your APN manually?

Hopefulcustomer

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
By the way, I was finally answered by an official at Microsoft Answers, who told me to try the Nokia Lumia Software Recovery Tool. If manual selection of network does not work, I will have to try the recovery tool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss