Lumia 735 at Expansys... anyone use it on LTE in the US?

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Glad to. So many times there just isn't a definitive answer with unambiguous proof to questions on the forum, so I wanted to provide clear evidence and let people know for sure.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Steve,

I going to order a black model tomorrow at Expansys site. Wednesday's they have 10% off day!
Thanks again for your research efforts and contribution to this 735 forum. Very much appreciated! Paul Thurrott loves his international 735 too of http://winsupersite.com. You might want to read his review of the 735 and 830. He prefers the 735 over the 830!

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Steve. Did you have to setup APNs or do any other type of setup? Also does anyone know if this will work on AT&T also ?

Again, thanks for all your work!

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Steve. Did you have to setup APNs or do any other type of setup? Also does anyone know if this will work on AT&T also ?

No setup required, plugged in a nano SIM and away we went. Based on the bands indicated on the package, should also work with ATT H/H+ and LTE, though coverage on both may be spotty per the AT&T Wireless page on Wikipedia. Just have them give you an unregistered SIM to try if you are a customer and see if you get coverage in the store.

Again, thanks for all your work!

My pleasure.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Steve,

I decided to order from B&H just to make sure I get the same model as you! Did you order any of the stuff with it like a Video Accessories Kit? How is the charger (for the U.S. electric outlet?) Anything else I should be getting with the 735? Thanks.

Harry

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
No, I didn't get any accessories. It comes with the standard Nokia wall charger that connects to the phone via a detachable USB cord. It has gorilla glass 3 so it should be pretty scratch resistant.

malman89

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
That sure is good to hear it works with LTE in the US, but that pricing makes me wish MS would release it in the US themselves. It would easily go for $50 less on their website (or include some case/shells at least).

Andrew_404

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi Steven,

Thank you for the detailed report on the Nokia 735 and, the success you've has on the T-Mobile network. I've been using my Nokia 735 (purchased from Expansys USA) for about three weeks now. It is a great phone. Previously, I had a Nokia 635. I'm using the "Family Mobile Plan" through Walmart which uses the T-Mobile network. Had no issues with the 635 model using LTE but the 735 can only access E which is 2G. Phone calls, text messages are all OK. MMS slow unless I'm on WiFi same as the internet. I've been in contact with Walmart and unfortunately, I'm stuck on the 2G network which is really a shame as I'm not really using the full speed on the phone on 4G or, a LTE network. I'm also using the original SIM card. I used a template to cut my Micro sim to a nano sim with no issues. Maybe eventually, I will have to change over to T-Mobile or another carrier to get the best out of this phone.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You most likely got the non-US version of the 735 from them
I had that for a few days and it doesn't have the GSM band(s) (missing the 1900 band) needed to get 3G (HSPA+) speeds, at least not on AT&T.

Fred

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Expansys tends to get the International versions (European) and not the Latin America version like B & H. I purchased my 1520 through B & H and their customer service is excellent. The price dropped about a week later, so I called them and they refunded me $70.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I waiting to get the best deal since B&H mention that they Black Friday pricing on some of their items. Did not mention this specific model but I am no hurry to get it! I kind of shopping for the best deal around all OS platforms. But this is now at the top of my list.

anoncow1

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Just to add here. I am getting HSPA+ on AT&T. But it's fast enough that I don't miss LTE.

Correction: I'm getting LTE on AT&T. Needed to get the IMEI registered.

Last edited:

Chriscom78

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Bought the 735 from B&H. I have a Cricket account so it runs off AT&T, and I am getting LTE. Nice phone, especially for its class. However, as noted in another thread, my back cover is missing the wireless charging contacts. B&H immediately offered to exchange it, but I'm not going through that hassle. Disappointing.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
My friend will be joining the 735 club soon! I got it through B&H. B&H is selling it for $289. It's coming!

I'm putting $100 toward the price so that'll be my Christmas gift. Hopefully she loves the phone. She's own an iPhone 4S and an Android cheapie.

I'm still confused on the wireless charging plate/cover. It appears that it's not standard. That the 735 being sold is including it more as a promotional thing to get sales going rather than a standard feature. Even Microsoft's own page on the 735 states that that wireless charging is a feature (in that you can add the charging cover but that the plate is not in-box).

It's not a huge deal for her as she's never used wireless charging. But I can't live without it for my Icon.

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 735 from B&H does not have a wireless charging back cover. (I purchased 3, and none of them had it) It's just a plain back cover with NFC... I believe they can be had for $20-25 separately online. The phone itself is definitely wireless ready, so it's not a big deal...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 735 from B&H does not have a wireless charging back cover. (I purchased 3, and none of them had it) It's just a plain back cover with NFC... I believe they can be had for $20-25 separately online. The phone itself is definitely wireless ready, so it's not a big deal...

Thanks. That clarifies it for me. It seems the Europeans get the charging back cover included (I guess as enticement to buy the phone). I bet the official US version from Verizon will also include the wireless charging cover. So I don't think she'll buy it for awhile.

I can show her the benefits of the wireless charging back (I can show her my Icon with the charging plate) and let her decide on whether to pick one up. But yeah, she's getting the 735 on my recommendation and it's more expensive than she was anticipating buying (Android phones are so cheap).

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Alright, fully set up the phone for my friend and put it through its paces. This is an awesome phone! The way it feels is terrific. Thin and light. Great green color and the plastic feels soft and good. My Icon (white) looks more expensive but now it looks kind of boring next to that great green body. Love the idea of a removable battery (so you can own multiple batteries or replace the current battery at a reasonable price when the original battery eventually dies).

Cameras are disappointing. Both of them. Keep in mind that I've very picky on cameras as my Canon T5i is my main camera and my Lumia Icon is my secondary. In fact, I find the iPhone cameras disappointing (that's how picky I am).

Not the performance of my Icon but darn good. While the color is great, a 720P screen does look a little soft when you're used to the Icon's 1080P AMOLED. I do have to temper how many live tiles I have on the Start screen. When I loaded the Start screen like my Icon, scrolling would stutter. Shrinking the size of the app groups helped out with performance.

If I was looking for a phone in this price range and didn't want to be tied to a contract, I would completely buy the 735 as I find it to be pretty amazing. It's a phone you can show off to your Android and iPhone friends.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb