Which phone should I get the Lumia 730 or the Moto G 2014?

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Huh ?
There are other browsers available for the 730.
I use several others other than IE on my 830 (running 8.1).

Fred

You can use multiple browsers on MotoG. Whereas on 730 you're stuck to IE. Plus speakers on MotoG '14 comes front dual stero and will have better sound than 730. And you'll have all the apps more than compared to wp store. For your uses I'd say motoG. Unless you want a amoled display, lagfree os and sleeker looking handset. :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Caught between lumia 730 and moto g 2014

Most of us will tell you to go for the 730 over the Moto G, but the only reason not to go for the Moto would be the camera :) Lumia phones have the best camera. After playing with the Moto I can tell you that you might only get bad pictures in low light conditions with their current cam software.. In every other aspect the Moto is a fine piece of hardware and it should receive most updates :) If anything the only thing you have to worry about is that the Moto line now belongs to Lenovo (Google sold the Moto line) so it's mostly unclear how they will be handling future updates. The Moto is fast, because it has Android L, multitasking is solid, the sensors (part of the reason the Moto G first gen was so great) are revamped and perform well. Two of the things I like very much on that line are: 1. the "glance screen" like feature the moto has and the driving mode. The phone senses when you're moving at a certain speed and reads your incoming texts out loud. Personally I didn't get to witness the second feature, but I did witness first hand how cool the first feature is :)

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I own a Moto G lte and think its a very good phone. I would love to own a 735, but can't find one for under 400$. While I consider the 735 a better phone than the Moto G the fact of the matter is the G can be had for 179$. In other words you can own two Moto G's for the price of one 735. Hard point to ignore.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

the only reason not to go for the Moto would be the camera :)

I thought that until a couple of hours ago when I encountered the issue with certain micro SD card not being supported. I inserted a 16GB class 10 Kingston card that works perfectly in a Samsung S3 mini and in my L735, but is not useable by the Moto G. The ard is recognised, but cannot be written to or read from; it appears empty.

This issue was supposedly fixed in an update, but my phone is up to date, and the issue is not fixed.

The longer I have the Moto G, the more I dislike it.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I thought that until a couple of hours ago when I encountered the issue with certain micro SD card not being supported. I inserted a 16GB class 10 Kingston card that works perfectly in a Samsung S3 mini and in my L735, but is not useable by the Moto G. The ard is recognised, but cannot be written to or read from; it appears empty.

This issue was supposedly fixed in an update, but my phone is up to date, and the issue is not fixed.

The longer I have the Moto G, the more I dislike it.

Wow that is a bummer.. Only 16 and it can't read/write :/ did you try a card from a different manufacturer? same class

Alex Corbu

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

I had a Moto G 2nd edition until 3 December. I bought the Lumia 730 and I can tell you, is muuuch better than the Moto G 2014. The apps are moving more faster compared to moto(facebook, whatsapp 9gag) and more than this Moto G 2014 is having issues with the RAM, it does not manage it as it should. After a while the multitasking will not work, the apps will close automatically and so on, the battery much better on Lumia. I am very happy with the Lumia 730. WP is way better than Android, for me. Also 36 month life-cycle is something that you should thing about.
In conclusion: For me Lumia 730 is much better.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

did you try a card from a different manufacturer?

16gb card from Samsung works. Again, class 10, but UHS. Kingston was not UHS. Both cards work in all the other phones and devices I have used. But the Moto G is fussy.

As for what Alex says, having used both the Moto G 4G and the L735, I would choose the L735. They are roughly the same price here in the UK whether locked or unlocked, and although the Moto G feels nicer to hold, is slightly more pocket friendly, and has LED notifications, the fact that you can't save apps to SD, the terrible (there are no polite works to convey just how darn flippin' awful it is!), temperamental attitude toward SD cards, and lack of removeable battery, all add up to make the L735 a better phone for my needs.

Yes, Android does have some nice features (notification bar, access to many more quick toggles than Windows Phone), but Windows Phone has some unique features too - quiet hours, unified interface, superior camera software, ability to store apps AND data on SD card, offline maps. (Yes, I know there are apps available to match the WP features, but I'm thinking of the out-of-the-box experience.)

It's swings and roundabouts, so you have to way up what's important for you. For me, above all else, I needed a good camera. the L735 gives me two goo cameras.

Edit:
Moto G does not have NFC. If that's important to you, then the Lumia would be the one to go for.

Last edited:

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Comparing the 730 to the 510 is difficult because they are entirely different beast. The 510 is not only running an outdated operating system, it's also running on outdated (and aged) hardware. The 730 is a mid-range device, but mid-range doesn't mean the same thing it did back with the original Lumia series. The 730 is lightyears ahead of the Lumia 900 even. You won't be disappointed in the 730.

Windows Phone 8 has proven to be slicker on a wide variety of phones. This hasn't always been the case with Windows Phone 7, even if I do think WP7 had far more charm. The Motorola phone after 2 years will turn into your 510, if not entirely worse. The 730 after two years while just feel a bit behind the curve, but it will still be as snappy as from Day 1.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

You know what, feel free to go with the Lumia 730. For apps you said you need it's true to stick with Android because they got more features and functionality (check Facebook's messenger on Android versus the Windows). Hope Windows 10 brings more things for the developers to play with. However for a Phone with these specifications WP works really well. No matter what the benchmarks says, the real use is smooth on Lumia 730/735. There are some resumes and loading sometimes, but its getting better with system updates + applications and their updates.
And no matter if you like the camera and front camera selfies and that stuff I'm pretty sure it will make you play around with it. :)

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Yeah but they are almost like IE overlays not true browsers.. Like on iOS

UC Browser is different. It's my primary browser. It's great and fast.

Get the 730. The reviews for Moto G's camera are horrible. Also, if you use the speakers of your phone, the 730 does not disappoint. It sounds wayyyy better than my 1520. (I'm kinda jealous about that. My mom has the 730)

Also card slot on the 730 is up to 128GBs while the Moto G can only handle up to 32GBs.

Another thing is 1GB of RAM will go a long way in Windows Phone. In Android, not so much..

Also if you're into such things, the 730 is dual sim.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

If you want a good fb get an Moto g.Am very light user of fb in windows.If you are opting for WP have a good android for your apps.I have Moto g 1st generation only for app but soon I will sell it nd get nexus 7 2013 by spending few bucks but I love my Moto g.It sometimes lag if you stress I very much that is it but any bank transaction I do only in wp.I feel wp is safe for that.l carry 2 phones seems odd but I dont care.i love my Lumia 820 better than moto g.
From Windows phone

fraglord94

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

How is fb beta on the 730 compared to the MotoG ? All I care about is viewing news feed,pictures,and commenting. I don't do anything else. Raw speed and performance is all I care about. I don't mind the app missing a few features if it is faster on the 730.
Cheers.

EDIT: I would like a faster app than a more feature loaded one.
Also, how is the performance of Whatsapp on 730 vs MotoG. Because its really slow on the 510.(10 sec startup !!!)

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
How is fb beta on the 730 compared to the MotoG ? All I care about is viewing news feed,pictures,and commenting. I don't do anything else. Raw speed and performance is all I care about. I don't mind the app missing a few features if it is faster on the 730.
Cheers.

EDIT: I would like a faster app than a more feature loaded one.
Also, how is the performance of Whatsapp on 730 vs MotoG. Because its really slow on the 510.(10 sec startup !!!)

Like I've said, if you need Facebook and Whatsapp you should look at Android. Not because of the speed, simply because WP is not supported by those companies like on Android or iOS. And it's more friendly for sharing things on Android.

I can't help you by being objective about this
If all you want to hear is that Lumia is better. You won't get many unbiased replies on Windows Central, of course everyone is going to defend it. I love my Lumia and some specific apps and the camera, but social networks and messaging apps are sure not one of those as I also own an Android to compare.

However for those two devices yes I can say that you should go for the Lumia, Yes Whatsapp is lighting fast !! - just checking it on my 735. For Facebook app, it does too open just fine for me if you have fast internet, it does not show the same feed like on Android because its not made by Facebook, but Microsoft. Some features are lacking and Messenger is far better on Android, but yes it works pretty nice and fast on WP too. Hopefully we get all the features when Windows 10 comes.

Last edited:

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Moto g 2014 has same battery as the previous moto g version so battery performance will be bad cause of 5 inch screen. 16gb internal memory + sd card slot is advantage over 730. Camera wise moto g isn't bad but not good as 730. Android has no restrictions so unsafe but windows phone have too many restrictions so os is safe. Basic apps like facebook, whatsapp and other such apps are better on android.

Nokia Lumia 925 India

Nikhil Bhargav

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Both are equally good and capable phones! it boils down to what is your personal preference of the OS! i have used both and despite few additional features and loads of customization have ditched android for good! i don't feel left out one bit!

cbobb123

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Moto g 2014 has same battery as the previous moto g version so battery performance will be bad cause of 5 inch screen. 16gb internal memory + sd card slot is advantage over 730. Camera wise moto g isn't bad but not good as 730. Android has no restrictions so unsafe but windows phone have too many restrictions so os is safe. Basic apps like facebook, whatsapp and other such apps are better on android.

Nokia Lumia 925 India
My moto g battery life is great. So don't make up crap if you don't have it. Android being unsafe is just a myth. And I have a 32gb SD card in mine.

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

My moto g battery life is great. So don't make up crap if you don't have it. Android being unsafe is just a myth. And I have a 32gb SD card in mine.

According to you android is safe lol.. And for your kind information i said battery backup may be less cause of bigger screen. So i am not creating any myth. Even i use a moto g 2nd generation for your kind information. Compared to moto g(1) battery backup is less.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the original Moto G, the Moto E, the Moto G 2014, and the Lumia 735.

I must say that the Moto G 2014 in many respects is worse than the Moto E and Moto G. The dual front facing speakers are a gimmick - they're worse than the Moto E. I was disappointed with the 720p display on a 5inch display with such a low ppi. The older Moto G is better than the 2014 version! The battery life was poor, lasting me 12 hours max with very little use.

Now the Lumia 735 is very good for its price. In the UK it costs the same as the Moto G 2014. Its display is much better than the Moto G, with ClearBlack display and a very fluid OS. It is faster. It has a much better battery life - I can use it for over 2 days even after playing games for 5+ hours. The camera is much better.

If you really want apps, I would prefer the Moto G and even the Moto E over the Moto G 2014. The Moto G 2014 is a downgrade from the Moto E and Moto G.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss