GPS not working correctly in Lumia 730

Samir Tamboli

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Friends, I noticed funny thing with GPS in my Lumia 730. GPS picks accurate location at a particular location. Like there is one place near my house from where I catch bus for office, GPS takes hardly 2-3 sec to show my location at this place. Similarly there is one more place near my office with same effect. I did it almost a week continuously and found results same.

But for other places it takes hell lot of time to find location accurately and sometimes it doesn't.

Once I tried searching for GPS in train for almost 50 km run, but issue remained and phone couldn't find GPS location

This is very pathetic from Nokia / Microsoft. Even after critical update of two latest OS issue remained same...i m getting feeling like got married to handicaped girl...

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a Lumia 730 2 weeks ago and today I tried to navigate using HERE Drive+.
Here maps shows my location as within 1km of a circled area.
When I started the navigation, the location pointer was still and was not moving at all when I was driving. I reached my destination but the pointer was still at the place where I starred.

Is this issue with my Lumia 730 only or you have also faced this?

Should I get my device replaced?

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
There is software issue . I have found a solution for my Lumia 730 .try to turn airplane mode on and then check postion source with hardware test app it will now show satellite . And then turn off airplane mode and see if it still is satellite ..it seems to be software issue and Microsoft should fix it

MdMohiyuddin Khan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Even on my nokia Lumia 730 same problem since i have purchased it on Oct 2014.

I have selected nokia lumia 730 because i have to use maps as i am driving a lot outside bangalore etc. and in my previous nokia phone 5230 the maps was awaysome. it was working without any problem.

after purchasing nokia lumia 730 i am feeling like i have made a big mistake of purchasing this phone.

Heredrive+ location struck to the same please where i have started. that too only when i required this application when i have lost the way or i have to find the way.

after going through lot of reviews and solutions. i came to know that this is a problem of software not the hardware. either microsoft has to update its demin version or in windows 10 they have to make corrections.

AwesomeDoge

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem too. Turning off Wifi and Mobile data, my phone can't locate me. I tried Hardware test and it never shows GPS source as Satellite. Is it a HW or a SW problem? (I'm using Windows 10 Insider preview)

setbit

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: GPS not working correctly in Lumia 730 -- SOLVED

I had the exact same problem on my Lumia 830, which was driving me crazy until I found a video titled "Lumia 535 gps problem solved". (No direct link because Windows Central won't let me.)

Here are the steps:

1. Open the standard Windows Phone weather app (a.k.a MSN Weather)
  2. Go to Settings (which is the detailed menu by obtained by clicking the three dots near the bottom of the screen)
  3. Go to the Permissions tab (swipe or press on the Permissions title at the top of the screen)
  4. Set Location Services to Off (If it's already off, you can toggle it On then Off, just to be sure)

.. and that's it. My mysterious mostly-but-not-totally malfunctioning GPS worked just fine as soon as I did that.

It sounds absurd, how can a setting in the Weather app possibly bring down navigation for the whole phone? But it worked. Even weirder, I can't seem to duplicate the problem now that it's fixed -- turning Location Services back on in the app doesn't appear to cause the problem to recur. I I did turn Location Services on in Weather about the time that the problem appeared, though, so I highly doubt it's just a coincidence.

There's probably some particular sequence of events that has to happen to trigger the problem. I often do odd things with my cellular data plan, changing it, turning it on and off. Maybe that can interact with the setting in question.

At any rate, I hope it works for you!

tambolisamir

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have updated my Lumia 730 to Windows 10, but still problem remained same. Still not finding solution for GPS fix. This is pathetic service from MS. Not caring about their old customers.

Jan89

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I waited a long time for win 10 and I hoped it will solve gps problem with lumia 730. After update gps works even worse. GPS determines the location up to 10 min and is not stable. Sometimes it did not fix. It's the end of my using windows phone.

ekstraway

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This it follows that it is not a software problem only hardware (maybe low quality GPS transmitter). It strange that newsletters are silent on this. I wonder if the issue with the GPS in lumia 730 DS is known for nokia care service?

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I waited a long time for win 10 and I hoped it will solve gps problem with lumia 730. After update gps works even worse. GPS determines the location up to 10 min and is not stable. Sometimes it did not fix. It's the end of my using windows phone.

This it follows that it is not a software problem only hardware (maybe low quality GPS transmitter). It strange that newsletters are silent on this. I wonder if the issue with the GPS in lumia 730 DS is known for nokia care service?

Don't expect the Windows 10 update to solve anything on Lumia 730, it is just an OS update, Microsoft should give a firmware update to solve issues like these but they are not in a mood to give any firmware updates for most of the phones, the windows insider twitter account also says there is no need of firmware update but did not reply to my explanation of why firmware update is needed.

Jan89

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Everyone can write complaint. There is form on Windows phone website. I wrote one, but I dont belive that anything will change.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Is this what everyone's talking about?!wp_ss_20160423_0001.png
Just picked up satellite source while traveling in a bus. What I found out is that: Unless your speed is >20Kmph the GPS stays the same. I used Mobile Data for fetching current location.

tim tom

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have had same problem . I returned my phone to the service. After two weeks I had an asnswer that "fault hadn't occured" but all data had been deleted and phone restored to the fabric settings. I was supprised a bit due to service opinion but I have started to recover my settings. I downloaded maps and went for a 10 kilometers trip and........ GPS worked ! Fixed within 5 seconds. Evrything was perfect. Yesterday evening I installed missing application (skype, gmail, etc.) some apps requiered access to the localization (GPS), I allowed. This morning the problem returned. So my opinion is that there may be some application that mess in GPS priority and block GPS for Maps ? But it's not confirmed yet. Today I will make a test, I'll restet and restore my mobile again. We will see.
I hope my Engilsh is understandable :)
Please write your experience.
Regards

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster