Why my Lumia 730 has no Glance screen whereas Lumia 640 xl does have this feature?

vicky geth

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Is it a feature concerned with hardware or with software? I don't think the feature as hardware limitation, Since both have snapdragon 400.

So why MSFT didn't port it to Lumia 730? Will become available with 8.1.2 update?

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Is it a feature concerned with hardware or with software? I don't think the feature as hardware limitation, Since both have snapdragon 400.

So why MSFT didn't port it to Lumia 730? Will become available with 8.1.2 update?

Lumia 730 doesn't support glance due to hardware limitations. That's quite obvious considering the price point with mid range hardware!.. Next time before you are ready to bug a new device, kindly consider checking the specs of that device as to what are you missing after upgrading your device!

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
they'll sell you the "hardware limitation" bull****, for sure. the reality? chances are its just....MARKETING
you see? glance can really be limited by hardware, that's a fact. but alot of phones don't have it due to marketing strategies and extracosts(which i dont think they are so much, what? 5 extra bucks for iterating it from other phones?)
let's look in 5xx family. 520 has it, 530 nope (but no surprise, since that phone is a flop), then 535 arrived without it too...ok, hardware limitation. then...532 has it. but there is no way 532 to literally have a better display than 535. i bet it has the same display just smaller.
what about 730? well, it was launched along with 830. my guess is they needed more factors to differentiate those 2 phones. so yea, here comes marketing factor.
you know, i hate ms for doing that. there is no point to screw your customers this hard. want more differentiating factors from a phone to another? how about work more on hardware and dont screw a perfectly capable software? gladly, turns up that they keep learning from nokia's and their past mistakes lately. after revigorating 5xx family, especially after X30 lines from nokia weren't trully upgrades from x20., now on 6XX family they look like they are revigorating that family even better than 5XX. (see how capable are 640 and 640XL, and how they dont have ANY flops. for a 6XX phone ofc)

(yea, frustration is big for not havin glance on my 535 after it really grew up on me on my old 620)

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
they'll sell you the "hardware limitation" bull****, for sure. the reality? chances are its just....MARKETING
you see? glance can really be limited by hardware, that's a fact. but alot of phones don't have it due to marketing strategies and extracosts(which i dont think they are so much, what? 5 extra bucks for iterating it from other phones?)
let's look in 5xx family. 520 has it, 530 nope (but no surprise, since that phone is a flop), then 535 arrived without it too...ok, hardware limitation. then...532 has it. but there is no way 532 to literally have a better display than 535. i bet it has the same display just smaller.
what about 730? well, it was launched along with 830. my guess is they needed more factors to differentiate those 2 phones. so yea, here comes marketing factor.
you know, i hate ms for doing that. there is no point to screw your customers this hard. want more differentiating factors from a phone to another? how about work more on hardware and dont screw a perfectly capable software? turns that they keep learning from nokia's and their past mistakes lately. after revigorating 5xx family, especially after X30 lines from nokia weren't trully upgrades from x20., now on 6XX family they look like they are revigorating that family even better than 5XX. (see how capable are 640 and 640XL, and how they dont have ANY flops for a 6XX phone)

(yea, frustration is big for not havin glance on my 535 after it really grew up on me on my old 620)
Nicely said, quite true....my l625 doesn't have it, however my bros 620 has it...! Weird MSFT! Weird Windows Phone!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
you know, i hate ms for doing that. there is no point to screw your customers this hard. want more differentiating factors from a phone to another? how about work more on hardware and dont screw a perfectly capable software? turns that they keep learning from nokia's and their past mistakes lately. after revigorating 5xx family, especially after X30 lines from nokia weren't trully upgrades from x20., now on 6XX family they look like they are revigorating that family even better than 5XX. (see how capable are 640 and 640XL, and how they dont have ANY flops. for a 6XX phone ofc)

You really don't understand how technology works, do you? Lol its because the 730 has an AMOLED display and Glance + AMOLED would probably end up with a lot of burn in on screens.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Have you people noticed what kind of consumer behaviour will come out of all this ? Even people reading posts like this...will surely make up their mind to switch platforms, truly MSFT, please change!

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
You really don't understand how technology works, do you? Lol its because the 730 has an AMOLED display and Glance + AMOLED would probably end up with a lot of burn in on screens.

you're a funny guy. you do know that there are some phones with amoled displays or oled or whatever that have glance screen, right? the pixel technology or whatever it is called has nothing to do with glance. the hard. limitation for glance is the cache of the display or the so called "display memory", which from a display to nother, regardless of the technology behind, may be present or not (as i know, but i might be wrong aswell). another limitation which i heard, but a rare one, is the incapacity of a cheap display to run at 5% power as the glance is programmed to work.

edit: check lumia 925. amoled + glance. who doesnt get technology mate? at least i have done some research, either they are true or wrong, before i jump on statements

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Nope, Glance moves around, if anything, AMOLED is best suited for Glance, being a feature on previous Nokia's and AMOLED devices like the 925 and 820.

Nicely said, quite true....my l625 doesn't have it, however my bros 620 has it...! Weird MSFT! Weird Windows Phone!

The 625 has a lower quality display. If you notice, it isn't ClearBlack like the 620 - more like the 520.

you know, i hate ms for doing that. there is no point to screw your customers this hard. want more differentiating factors from a phone to another? how about work more on hardware and dont screw a perfectly capable software? gladly, turns up that they keep learning from nokia's and their past mistakes lately. after revigorating 5xx family, especially after X30 lines from nokia weren't trully upgrades from x20., now on 6XX family they look like they are revigorating that family even better than 5XX. (see how capable are 640 and 640XL, and how they dont have ANY flops. for a 6XX phone ofc)

It is a hardware limitation.
The 520 never had Glance, it has a cheap display too.
The 530 doesnt have it, naturally.
The 532 is odd to me, but I guess its a renewed emphasis on Glance, or perhaps shuffling some priorities around inside the device that we aren't seeing.
The 535 doesnt exactly have the CBD previous Glance-equipped devices has, and I think thats a factor. Considering the touch issues, we know things were cut. We may just not see them.
Maybe the panel of such devices can't be dim enough without flickering, looking bad or otherwise using too much power?
It's not "better display" necessarily, although it could be, its more, "better suited" display.

the 730? My take is that it has a similar AMOLED panel to the 930, which too, doesn't have the memory required to keep things displayed without constant refreshing. Probably a differentiation bonus too.

You can hate whoever all you want, it doesnt change the fact there's a boatload of decisions and tradeoffs made on a device.
Its such a tiny feature on the spec-sheet, and to many non-Lumia users it doesnt matter.
There is no such thing as just making a better device, there's always a tradeoff somewhere. and in the 640's, it isnt immediately obvious which is good, but somewhere costs have been cut or costs absorbed.

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
indeed glance is best suited for amoled.
about 535, i never thought that it deserved glance...untill 532 came. which indeed is ms acting weird.
on 625, yea, the display is literally cheaper. you can see it and feel it(i have a close friend with one) so glance absence due to hard limitation is plausible. but clearblack absence was just a tradeoff not a display incapacity. a tradeoff for bigger display and 4g, cuz you can literally add clearblack (just as you do with gorilla glass) on literally any modern display.

on 640, i have to agree again. we still have to wait to see the cutoffs. but my biggest guess is that the major cutoff was ms' share of profit from the phone. i guess they are just pushing it to maintain the platform until W10, to consolidate some markets, and why not, to even extend the market share, since it has anything for it price range and will be launche globally. another cutoff which comes to mind could be the build quality when it comes to shock resistance. my old 620 resisted to ALOT of shock and even almost being walked on. i doubt 640 will have the same resistance. as for uality, i dont think ms will do again the mistake of 535 and come with trash components.

but hey, i think we are nominated for the best off-topic discussion over here, so we better turn ourselves down lol

vicky geth

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
If you bought it expecting it then you didn't do your research. Get used to missing features with lower end hardware because it's going to become the norm.
Lumia 730 doesn't support glance due to hardware limitations. That's quite obvious considering the price point with mid range hardware!.. Next time before you are ready to bug a new device, kindly consider checking the specs of that device as to what are you missing after upgrading your device!
yeah.. I knew this feature is missing with lumia 730 when I bought it 4 months back. But after seeing 640xl with Glance Screen. I got a doubt.,and lil bit curious to know Why this feature is missing?? What's the cause? Hardware or software limitation? That's it.. :)

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
you're a funny guy. you do know that there are some phones with amoled displays or oled or whatever that have glance screen, right? the pixel technology or whatever it is called has nothing to do with glance. the hard. limitation for glance is the cache of the display or the so called "display memory", which from a display to nother, regardless of the technology behind, may be present or not (as i know, but i might be wrong aswell). another limitation which i heard, but a rare one, is the incapacity of a cheap display to run at 5% power as the glance is programmed to work.

edit: check lumia 925. amoled + glance. who doesnt get technology mate? at least i have done some research, either they are true or wrong, before i jump on statements

The problem with your entire argument is the Lumia 930. It also has AMOLED and no Glance. So if the entire point was "marketing" to make the Lumia 830 seem better, then why would they gimp the Lumia 930 and Lumia Icon? I mean, unless this was some huge conspiracy to make the Lumia 830 seem better.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Nope, Glance moves around, if anything, AMOLED is best suited for Glance, being a feature on previous Nokia's and AMOLED devices like the 925 and 820.

The 625 has a lower quality display. If you notice, it isn't ClearBlack like the 620 - more like the 520.

It is a hardware limitation.
The 520 never had Glance, it has a cheap display too.
The 530 doesnt have it, naturally.
The 532 is odd to me, but I guess its a renewed emphasis on Glance, or perhaps shuffling some priorities around inside the device that we aren't seeing.
The 535 doesnt exactly have the CBD previous Glance-equipped devices has, and I think thats a factor. Considering the touch issues, we know things were cut. We may just not see them.
Maybe the panel of such devices can't be dim enough without flickering, looking bad or otherwise using too much power?
It's not "better display" necessarily, although it could be, its more, "better suited" display.

the 730? My take is that it has a similar AMOLED panel to the 930, which too, doesn't have the memory required to keep things displayed without constant refreshing. Probably a differentiation bonus too.

You can hate whoever all you want, it doesnt change the fact there's a boatload of decisions and tradeoffs made on a device.
Its such a tiny feature on the spec-sheet, and to many non-Lumia users it doesnt matter.
There is no such thing as just making a better device, there's always a tradeoff somewhere. and in the 640's, it isnt immediately obvious which is good, but somewhere costs have been cut or costs absorbed.

Except when you turn your phone off and the first spot that the clock jumps to is the exact same spot, every time. Glance spends a majority of its time at the bottom of the screen. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft, Nokia, Daniel Rubino, Paul Thurrott, and Brad Sams are all lying about this.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I heard it was because OLED is not a good display for it. Apparently it can create burn ins? Just what I heard, don't know how true it is or not.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Guys the 730 and 930 are OLED not AMOLED. Just saying. They are different display technology yet I don't understand why so many sites report it as an AMOLED. It causes so much confusion

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys the 730 and 930 are OLED not AMOLED. Just saying. They are different display technology yet I don't understand why so many sites report it as an AMOLED. It causes so much confusion

actually that's wrong. OLED is the tech used BUT there are two main type of OLED tech which are PMOLED(passtive matrix oled) and AMOLED( active matrix OLED). to say its oled is not complete you have to specify what type of OLED is being used. so in this case its AMOLED
source OLED Types - HowStuffWorks

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It's quite funny reading about this feature as my 2 year old 720 has both Glance and double tap to wake and wireless charging as a bonus. And hey, the 512 MB Ram is more than enough for my daily use.
I think I'm going to keep this baby for another two years as I see absolutely no reason to "upgrade".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb