My Lumia 730 has virus, even after 2 resets it remains. How can I rid my phone of this virus?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My Lumia 730 has virus, even after 2 resets it remains

It is the very first time, I have experienced a virus on the windows phone, I have used couple of them during last couple of years.. but none had this problem..

while browsing sites via Internet Explorer it take me to the unwanted webs .. I have copied the links of the same.. but even after the reset which I have done 2 times already this behavior is still there.. It can happen anywhere on any website like one time it happened on burberry website.. then I turned off the mobile website preference but again it happens, I am scared about the data on my cell and the email accesses that I do..

It happens only at times not always when I visit the same website again the problem does not come back.. I am an IT Guy I am sure it has virus but how to get this fixed ?, there is no malware scanner or virus scanner available in the Windows Shop.. any ideas ?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Lumia 730 has virus, even after 2 resets it remains

If it is true that you have a virus you can sell your phone for a lot of money because you have a very special phone. There are no virus scanners because there are no virusses on windows phones.
In IE push the 3 dots ...
Go to settings
Go to advanced settings
Mark " Use SmartScreen Filter to help protect against unsafe websites"
In Cookies from websites "block all"
And delete IE history.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Poo...I-worry-about-viruses-or-malware/td-p/1096115

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

As said by harrie-s Really if you think your phone has virus then sell it.....and off-topic harrie-s congrats as your country team has made upto finals for the first time

Arora G

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

Hi Harrie-S

The SmartScreen Filter is already active and I forgot to mention that earlier..

There are no pop-ups but it just redirects say when I click somewhere on the link randomly.. the websites I have visited are quite reputed and cannot have virus like MSN website, google news, burberry etc. I click the right link and it forcefully redirects to the unwanted site.. and when I try to go back with back arrow, it does not let me reach the website because the redirects are so many..

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does this affect other browsers on the phone (Opera Mini, UC)

Also, does this affect other devices on the network?
Because we're almost certain its not a virus since there are no currently known occurrence of malware on Windows Phone.

anadi1984

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

What OP has posted happens to me too when I open any links of www.boxofficecapsule.com in IE on my 1020. Sometimes a dialogue box appears which says something like your Android phone is slow, download blah blah app, with ok and cancel as options and then automatically starts to open a website I never intended to visit. I remember, this started happening after MS had allowed IE to be recognised as a different browser!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

What OP has posted happens to me too when I open any links of www.boxofficecapsule.com in IE on my 1020. Sometimes a dialogue box appears which says something like your Android phone is slow, download blah blah app, with ok and cancel as options and then automatically starts to open a website I never intended to visit. I remember, this started happening after MS had allowed IE to be recognised as a different browser!

MS made the browser appear as Android or iOS depending, so it'll be served better websites.
Caveat is that the sites then serve up Android-targeted advertising/lies.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Hi Harrie-S

The SmartScreen Filter is already active and I forgot to mention that earlier..

There are no pop-ups but it just redirects say when I click somewhere on the link randomly.. the websites I have visited are quite reputed and cannot have virus like MSN website, google news, burberry etc. I click the right link and it forcefully redirects to the unwanted site.. and when I try to go back with back arrow, it does not let me reach the website because the redirects are so many..

Read this.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Just to be sure, when you said it happens "anywhere" you mean away from one particular location. I recall a redirect virus a few years ago that was actually related to a router. Never occurred when away from home. Reset router and bye bye virus.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I may have missed it, but is this happening on Wi-Fi? Sounds like one of those lovely DNS intercept/changers that some ISPs are deploying to add value for their customers.
​Sorry, did I say add value? I meant screw up the internet.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps his 730 is a Chinese Android phone skinned to look like a L730.

No virus exists on WP. Period. DNS redirection. Some 'friend' setting up a web proxy which injects banners, things like that are possible, but no virus exists for WP.

Arora G

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

This seem to be quite near to what I am experiencing via IE, I got popup saying I have 3 viruses which need a cleaning, I could understand it is another redirect. Then after pondering I am am able to figure out that it is something to do with a particular location, as it happened all the time there only but not on the 3G network, it is Wifi thing. I have removed that particular wifi connection and shall see it for next couple of days how it goes.. you guys are really pointed me to some direction which I was missing to take an account of.. thanks and cheers ! I shall update you after couple of days with my findings. ( But my one concern still remains.. that why the IE Smart Filter not doing its job ? )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa