Lumia 925 to 730 - Worth It for Dual Sim? (on T-Mobile US)

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My employer has decided to move away from company provided cell phones. They want employees to keep their current numbers and will subsidize their personal plans. I currently I have a Lumia 925 with T-Mobile service and was thinking about buying a Lumia 730. The overall functionality seems about equal, but the 730 would allow me to use two sim cards. I could add the work sim as another line on my family plan.

So how does a dual sim phone work and does it seem like the right way to go?

1. Would I be able to receive calls from both numbers via the same device?
2. When I return a call, which sim is chosen to handle the outgoing call?
3. It looks like the 730 only supports 3G... will I run into problems in the US will coverage?
4. Where is the best place to buy one and have it sent to the US?

My vision is to only carry one phone, but be able to field personal and work calls. The biggest thing I anticipate missing from my 925 is the QI wireless charging. It's been nice to be able to drop the phone into my Nokia car charger, get juice while using Here Maps and listening to MixRadio, but I could get used to plugging in the 730 directly.

Other dual sim WP phones currently available in the US feel like they'd be a downgrade from the 925.

Steven Penner

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a good plan.
1. Yes. Text messages too.
2. You pick the phone tile you want to call from.
3. Yes. I'd strongly suggest you look at the dual sim Lumia 640 or 640 XL models instead. I'm pretty sure each of them has a T-Mo friendly model. You can get them from resellers like bhphotovideo.com, expansys-usa.com, and perhaps amazon.com.
4. See above. Those all are local, but you can also import from foreign companies too.

The Lumia 640 and 640 XL will give you better performance than a 730, in my opinion. Plus, they will give you LTE.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife a Lumia 640 to replace her old 521 and she is pleased with it, but the build quality seems lacking compared to my 925... plastic fantastic feel.

You're probably right to recommend the dual SIM Lumia 640 with LTE. I went ahead and bought a RM-1075 model via eBay(had eBay bucks hanging around). It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft releases within the next year, but it's it seems like a safe bet that they won't release too many US compatible dual SIM cell phones.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

This was a helpful thread for selecting the correct model: https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/93544

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3