Initial review of my Verizon 735

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I've flirted with getting a Windows Phone as my primary phone on Verizon since Dec 2012. Finally, I took the jump after my RazrM battery just couldn't last more than 4-5 hours with moderate use. The RazrM also had unbelievable lag - so bad I've missed phone calls due to the phone not waking the screen in time. This phone was to be an experiment for me...to see if this phone had what I needed before I consider a flagship Windows 10 phone.

Long story short I purchased a 735 at cost so I could keep my data plan. My first impressions based on 2.5 days of use are as follows.
Pros:
1) So much nicer than Android. I'm actually blown away. I've played with a 520 when I had to get AT&T for a while to make calls at my work location; but this phone is such a step up. The folder situation got much better than the original implementation I saw in the 520.
2) Apps "look" better to me on Windows. Don't know that they work better in all cases; but they look nicer IMO. I'm only missing the financial/credit card/banking apps and an official Sirius app. Not a big deal to me at this point.
3) Incredible, ok, unbelievable battery life. 2 days, checking email every hour, at least 3 hours voice, some surfing, playing with settings, a few texts, and I still have over 50% battery!!!!!!!
4) The location settings actually work, so it switches to wi-fi with no problem (not sure why I use this since I'm unlimited). My 'Droid never could do this correctly without eating battery.
5) I absolutely cannot believe Windows does not have more market share, and I'm hoping Verizon backs Windows 10 phones.
6) It's so intuitive - even when I didn't know what I was doing, the phone seems to have done it ;).

Negatives:
1) No Glance or LED notification.
2) MUST use Verizon help page to get it to work initially. I must have factory reset 5 times before I gave up (stuck on "app" update or something). As soon as I used the Verizon help page, it worked almost instantly and credit Verizon, all my contacts came through fine.
3) More settings like quiet hours; like work location, home location - perhaps I just haven't explored enough.
4) I had one more issue; but it's so minor I forgot it :)

So a few questions I do have, which in all honesty I haven't searched online for in any great detail which could be negatives.
1) My other chargers do not work well. In fact, one usb cable didn't plug in correctly. I'm not sure why a high amperage charger doesn't work. Heck, I bought it at the MSFT store in Boston.
2) Deleting multiple emails at once.
3) Syncing contacts with my yahoo contacts without having an outlook.com account.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Nice review BytorJr!

Now to answer some of your questions...

1) My other chargers do not work well. In fact, one usb cable didn't plug in correctly. I'm not sure why a high amperage charger doesn't work. Heck, I bought it a the MSFT store in Boston..
Windows phones does support high ampere chargers. I myself use a 2A Dell V8P charger to charge all my Lumias and they seem to charge faster as compared to the standard Nokia charger. It could be a fault with either the charger, or the cable, or worst case the phone itself. Again if you can use the factory charger I would suggest sticking with it.

2) Deleting multiple emails at once. .
When inside your email app, click on the 2 icon at the very bottom (round with check boxes). It would let you select multiple emails and then then you can delete them using the recycle bin button below.

3) Syncing contacts with my yahoo contacts without having an outlook.com account.
Unfortunately syncing Yahoo contacts was never available on Windows Phone since WP7 days. If you want to export Yahoo contacts to Outlook (your MS account) then they should be accessible on your device.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
pankaj981, I think the charger is fine, It would charge the RazrM in about an hour, and it works on my Nexus 7 (2013) as well. It could be the actual microUSB. I'll check that.

As for the "2" button. I got that; but one still has to select each email individually instead of a select all. Or did I misunderstand something? It's a minor issue; but I like to delete the crud as soon as I can ;).

(I wish it had Glance, everything I've read says it is incredible).

Ste Wilkins1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
With Windows 10 when it officially launches in the next couple of months, you will have a Notification LED the 735 has one built in top left hand corner, but is not activated on Windows 8.1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos