Found a solution for Nokia Lumia 730 gps problem

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
But for GPS to function correctly, location needs to be turned ON right. For accurate reading, try using find me pro+ app.

r2SN

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
WHAT does source GPS location "cellular" mean exactly (in hardware test app) ?! I disabled 3G in setting...and my SIM is 2G only !!! so how can that be possible to be on cellular ?

This means your phone's source of positioning is cellular towers nearby not satellite . Check out working of A-GPS . For faster positioning for phones first positioning is done by cellular towers then gps satellites.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
But for GPS to function correctly, location needs to be turned ON right. For accurate reading, try using find me pro+ app.
we ar not trying to find an app that reads correctly....as many do that...we are trying to determine WHY many lumia owners DON'T have a working GPS...and if the fault is hardware or software....because of windows DENIM

from what i see find me pro+ does the same as hardware test, gps info or maaloo...so it does not advance us alas...

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
great article.
done more testing today and CONFIRM offline GPS does not work in my LUMIA if i am not in my neighborhood! at work it does not work. and today at my moms house/area....nothing dead...
when in my sector gps fixes quickly everytime...even in the parking lot (20m below surface!!!!!)

heck too bad...

JayRBars

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My L1520's GPS used to work perfectly when i newly bought the unit, at least 5m accuracy. After 4 months of usage, there goes the phantom touch. Went to nokia care and after 2 mos or so, the fixed the phantom touch. But when i got home i tried using HERE and Waze, and found out that GPS was not working. Went back to Nokia, after 3 mos in their possesion, they told me that they cant fix it. I dont understand why they wont replace my unit, it was a lemon unit..

By the way, my L925 (bought with 74% or so discount) GPS is working great from day 1. Only problem is a scratchy sound when forwarding a movie.

Dutchcheese

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Indeed, do have this problem on my 950 XL dual. Have tried three different Map programs including from Microsoft it self and all rubbish. Position is on and of and jumping all over the place. The whole phone is an immature project and a total waste of the expensive money. I thought it would serve me as something more professional then Android, but full of games and and little useful apps. It is going back, I do not want to be a guinea pig for MS.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
The problem is not the map app...it is the gps software!!!! We already said that...or even could be hardware..
I cant believe 950xl has also a defective gps 😭 THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!! WHY is MS not doing something and keeps on selling faulty gps phones?!!!

Jarlem

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I can also confirm that there is something "not ok" with the Lumia 950 GPS. As a real time tracking app developer, I am aware of these things, and when testing the same app on 930 and 950 the latter receives dramatically less updates from the GPS.
Just now I came back from a 9km test ride where the 930 received 890 updates and the 950 only 137.
Both phones run windows 10, however the 930 runs preview build 10586.29 and 950 runs stock 10586.0. So, my hope is that this issue is fixed in the most recent build. (still waiting to get it installed on my 950). :eck:

rainmanmp

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I?m facing the same problem with my 730: Bad "cold start" of the GPS, without Wlan it takes too much time to get a fix. Without GSM signal no chance to get one. After reading different discussions about this topic, I would suppose it is a problem just of dual-sim models. You don?t hear about this problem on 735. There are also some users reporting the same problem on 640 and 535, but no information if this concers just dualsim or also singlesim version. But I would guess it?s rather a dualsim problem because on 730 we have this problem, whereas on 735 probably not and there are also some 640s and 535 with the same issue and some with a good GPS.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I can also confirm that there is something "not ok" with the Lumia 950 GPS. As a real time tracking app developer, I am aware of these things, and when testing the same app on 930 and 950 the latter receives dramatically less updates from the GPS.
Just now I came back from a 9km test ride where the 930 received 890 updates and the 950 only 137.
Both phones run windows 10, however the 930 runs preview build 10586.29 and 950 runs stock 10586.0. So, my hope is that this issue is fixed in the most recent build. (still waiting to get it installed on my 950). :eck:
@jarlem: very interesting info you gave us there...

1- what is the status now that you installed the new build?
2- what do you think the reason to all this is?
3- does your findings prove that the GPS problem on lumias is software? or can it be hardware?
4- have you tested with WP 8.1?

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I?m facing the same problem with my 730: Bad "cold start" of the GPS, without Wlan it takes too much time to get a fix. Without GSM signal no chance to get one. After reading different discussions about this topic, I would suppose it is a problem just of dual-sim models. You don?t hear about this problem on 735. There are also some users reporting the same problem on 640 and 535, but no information if this concers just dualsim or also singlesim version. But I would guess it?s rather a dualsim problem because on 730 we have this problem, whereas on 735 probably not and there are also some 640s and 535 with the same issue and some with a good GPS.

humm dunno if its a dual sim problem, in my case...yes the phone is DS !!! 640xl!
the only solution i found is like i said to enable gps while online and then once locked on disable it....it works fine after that for long periods! if people live or have internet...this issue is not a problem, but in many countries there are no wifi spots and in my case i don't have a data plan...

also, like i repeated...once the GPS locks on...it will work after that in that AREA with no need to re-enable internet!!! for example at work i never could get gps to work offline...one time i enabled internet....for 3-4mn; now 3 weeks later...(with no internet) gps works fine at work!!!!

conclusion: lumia HAS to lean with internet GPS at first...then it can work on its own !!!!! what the hell is MS doing? they never aknowledge this issue even if many many people around the world are suffering because of this GPS lumia problem !!!

Jarlem

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi nenito2k,

1. With the most recent build on both 930 and 950 (10586.29) the result is still the same. No change.
2. I believe/hope it is a firmware issue. And I hope it will be resolved (no firmware update for the 950 yet). Don't know much about the hardware differences between 930 and 950, but it would be strange to go backwards in this respect.
3. As I wrote in (2) I hope it is firmware, and not hardware. In 2015 you expect your flagship device to have accurate GPS. This is currently not the case and a huge disappointment so far.
4. Yes, I have run the app with 7, 8 and 8.1. Samsung Omina 7, Htc 8x, Lumia 630, Lumia 930 and now 950. 930 has great GPS both on 8, 8.1 and 10. 950 is the first to let me down. Weird!

Last edited:

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
@jarlem:

gosh..i see; well like many people said, problems related to gps started when microsoft took over! mainly L535 and onward! with nokia, people NEVER has gps problems!!! the only exception being the L730 that seems bad...guess even a 700$ phone at microsoft can't do gps...

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Ativ SE on Verizon, and ever since we got the official update to 8.1, my GPS has given me nothing but trouble, constantly stalling while I drive around. I just saw the Lumia 735 and was excited at the thought of switching to a phone that'll get win 10... until I found this thread. Maybe its not just a Lumia issue.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
ahh so BEFORE W8.1 gps was always working FINE ? in your case can you confirm that is is related to OS update only...therefore being a SOFTWARE issue ?

also was it the first update or the latest denim update that started giving issues ?
do you have cases where you can't lock on at all, like most of us ?
have you tried W10 insider to test if things get better ?!
what does apps like "hardware tests" or "gpsinfo" indicate ???

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
ahh so BEFORE W8.1 gps was always working FINE ? in your case can you confirm that is is related to OS update only...therefore being a SOFTWARE issue ?

also was it the first update or the latest denim update that started giving issues ?
do you have cases where you can't lock on at all, like most of us ?
have you tried W10 insider to test if things get better ?!
what does apps like "hardware tests" or "gpsinfo" indicate ???

When I bought the phone it had 8.0 and I used PfD to get 8.1 immediately. GPS worked fine, but I had lots of random reboots, and the touch screen would lock up all the time, so I was constantly rebooting anyway.

When 8.1 was officially released for my phone, there was also a firmware update to fix the touch screen issue - but you could only get it with the official 8.1, not PfD. So I had to flash back to 8.0, then take all the official updates, including 8.1 and firmware. Took about a day, but I didn't test any of the interim updates. It fixed all the locking up and reboot issues I had, but then the GPS started acting up.

Usually it means I can't trust any mapping while driving - it will just stop updating (in any app) which means I miss turns, etc. Sometimes minutes later it'll correct itself, but by then it's too late. Yes, sometimes it doesn't lock on and I end up rebooting just to get it back. After s fresh reboot it usually works for a little while. Also annoying is there's not even a notification or anything that the GPS is having issues, so unless I notice that the marker isn't moving, I won't know what turns are coming up.

Denim is Nokia only, so I don't have that. I don't know exactly what to test with the gpsinfo app. The latest interesting development is that when I was up in Canada last weekend, and had data off due to roaming, connected to Rogers, I had no problems whatsoever. GPS worked like a charm. I've yet to do any experimentation since I came back.

Last edited:

Jarlem

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi again guys. It seems like the 950 has a good working GPS after all!

The exact same tracker app do behave differently between 930 and 950, but I believe it has to do with confusion about milliseconds and seconds.

The GeoLocation spec says the ReportInterval is in milliseconds (value=1000), but in reality it seems like the 950 reads it in seconds. When removing ReportInterval or changing it to 1 (default) the 950 get updates every second (instead of every 7 secs on average)

Both phones run win10 on build 10.586.36, so it's kind of weird that they behave differently in this respect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven