Lumia 735 current verdict

wpjorge

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I have seen a lot of posts complaining about failures in Lumia 735 so wondering if someone dares to give a verdict after last build 14322 , is it recommended to update from windows 8.1 or not?

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, you would be better advised going for the latest official/Threshold build 10586.218. (Or Insider > Release Preview ring)
The Redstone builds (14322 is one) are more buggy and probably not recommended for daily driver phones.
Unless this is a secondary phone?
I have 14322 running on my L930 and although not too bad, now and again I need to soft reset as an app will hang.

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend 14322 unless you're using 735 as an extra phone.
I would recommend upgrading to 10586.218. It has fixed few bugs that were present in .164 build. It's still not perfect and it's little buggy (not deal-breaker). Also, keep in mind that camera quality will be worse. Lumia Camera > Windows Camera.

TimTimmyTimothy

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
About that famous camera discussion...
Lumia 735 with WP 8.1.2 had only Lumia Camera 4 (Classic) app. Lumia Camera 4 performs worse than Lumia Camera 5 literally. See the link below:

Lumia Camera Classic vs Lumia Camera 5 Comparison

Windows 10 Mobile's brand new Windows Camera is based on latest Lumia Camera 5 app completely (so I wonder how people could claim that Windows Camera takes worse photos than Lumia Cameras lol). Lumia Camera 4 on WP8.1 L735 didn't even have HDR feature while Lumia Camera 5 app on higher Lumias did have it.
"Lumia Camera (4 or 5) vs Windows Camera" I compare my photos taken by Lumia Cameras and taken by Windows Camera. My Lumia 535, 735 and 640XL on W10M with Windows Camera, take better photos. In short, Windows Camera is better than any Lumia Camera in all respects for me.

Upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile from 8.1 is worth it even just because of getting a better camera app :)
I recommend you to upgrade to 10586.218, not Redstone yet for sure. It's too buggy nowadays

Last edited:

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I'm sticking with WP 8.1 until I read better news about W10M on the Lumia 735. Rushing to upgrade operating systems used to be a passion of mine, but one too many times with stuff going wrong has cured me. I'm ok waiting for things to get sorted out.

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile's brand new Windows Camera is based on latest Lumia Camera 5 app completely (so I wonder how people could claim that Windows Camera takes worse photos than Lumia Cameras lol). Lumia Camera 4 on WP8.1 L735 didn't even have HDR feature while Lumia Camera 5 app on higher Lumias did have it.

Yeah, people know that it's based on Lumia Camera 5 and its origin really doesn't matter because It does show significant difference in mostly negative way.

Lumia 730

Left : LC 4.10.0.6
Right: WC 2016.325.61.0

In first image LC image is much closer to actual colours without blue tint.
In second image...meh just meh! LC image is nearer to the actual colour of the cloth while WC image looks like I've worn that cloth while working at construction site for couple of days.

LC 4 vs WC - Album on Imgur

Apart from HDR I don't see any positives in WC.

TimTimmyTimothy

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, people know that it's based on Lumia Camera 5 and its origin really doesn't matter because It does show significant difference in mostly negative way.

Lumia 730

Left : LC 4.10.0.6
Right: WC 2016.325.61.0

In first image LC image is much closer to actual colours without blue tint.
In second image...meh just meh! LC image is nearer to the actual colour of the cloth while WC image looks like I've worn that cloth while working at construction site for couple of days.

LC 4 vs WC - Album on Imgur

Apart from HDR I don't see any positives in WC.

I haven't seen any significant difference at all in my photos. Also in first two photos you took, right one is clearer. Yes, colours look different a bit somehow. In second photos, left one is exaggerated colored. But I don't know which one is closer to real colours because didn't see real place, by the way it's easy to adjust color after taking a photo. Well, my friends (with L735, 640, 620) and I don't agree with "Lumia Camera takes better photos" They're pretty happy to have got rid of Lumia Cameras. Of course number of possitive people about it doesn't make it true, just like number of negative people about it won't make it wrong. It's probably subjective... You think Windows Camera takes worse, your opinion; no need to bring it forward as it is true to a user thinking about W10M upgrade :) Yes, there is no big chances apart from HDR. Just more modern interface and in my opinion; taking better photos

TranquilKnight

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
right one is clearer. Yes, colours look different a bit somehow. In second photos, left one is exaggerated colored.

Yeah, right one is clearer. I didn't have support for hand while taking both. Probably shook my hands while taking another. Hard to notice on small screen.
In 2nd set, both are in fact less coloured. Left is kinda closer to real colours.

no need to bring it forward as it is true to a user thinking about W10M upgrade

Nah, it wasn't my intention to say that what I said was true. Sorry it looked like that :)

I was just stating my experience with Lumias from my friend circle and family [another 730 (same), 1520 (not sure but its user seemed satisfied), 640 (I got butchered by parents, downgraded and not allowed to update again lol)]. Just like people give review about software issues they faced after an update. Some may face it, some may not. Probably most of us would like to hear as many opinions as they can to ensure that they get best experience.

For example my friend got most of his 730's bugs fixed after going through WDRT; while even after WDRT and several hard resets I've still got few bugs.
Same devices > same bugs after update > same treatment > one got almost fixed while another got only few things fixed.
Now if there was 3rd user with 730 he/she'd definitely like to know our experiences before going through update.

Athul173

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
My lumia 730 on build 10586.204 has a problem...apps like edge and windows central sometimes distorts the pages when scrolling making it impossible to read. I have tried hard resetting it many times and also switching between 8.1 and 10 through recovery tool but i haven't be able to solve the particular problem and the feedbacks dont really help much too
Someone please help...anyone else facing the issue??

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
My lumia 730 on build 10586.204 has a problem...apps like edge and windows central sometimes distorts the pages when scrolling making it impossible to read. I have tried hard resetting it many times and also switching between 8.1 and 10 through recovery tool but i haven't be able to solve the particular problem and the feedbacks dont really help much too

Update to latest version 10586.218

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Suggestion one has been to update to the latest stable version 10586.218
Secondly, make sure that windows central app is updated
Thirdly, try using a different scaling in settings. Your might be too high or too low. Change and check againq

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
As for the difference between lumia camera and MS camera, I believe it depends with the phone model. My lumia 1020 takes better high res photos using Lumia camera compared to MS camera

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro