Thinking about a Lumia 735

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
First things first, my daily driver is a Lumia 1020 which has been in use since August 2014. I have been thinking about upgrading to a newer phone that is capable of W10 but haven't pulled the trigger yet because of the performance/size compromise.

I tend to like smaller phones and anything <5" is ideal due to my smallish hands. I am currently using a Lumia 640 to get a feel for W10 but this is a phone I am borrowing. While performance is decent, and the size is usable, I don't feel comfortable with it.

Enter the 735; spec wise, it has the same CPU and memory as a 640, but with a 4.7" screen and a much better aperture camera (f/1.9 vs f/2.2) and an OLED screen versus the 640's LCD. The front facing camera is not of importance to me but still nice to have for number comparisons. My issue is I am using T-Mobile and in order to use LTE, I need the RM-1039 version which is now rarer than hen's teeth. I know the Verizon version is network compatible with T-Mobile but only on EDGE data (unless there's a way to flash a different ROM on it to enable LTE on band 12?).

With this information in mind, is it worth the effort to go for a RM-1039 Lumia 735? I have also thought about the 830, but between the LCD screen and the f/2.4 camera lens, I would still rather not. The Lumia 550 is also a no go since it seems even more entry level.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm choosing between a 735 and Icon on Verizon. If the 830 was an option I would go for that immediately because it has Glance and has a Pureview camera with Zeiss optics and has OIS.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm choosing between a 735 and Icon on Verizon. If the 830 was an option I would go for that immediately because it has Glance and has a Pureview camera with Zeiss optics and has OIS.

Does the 735 not have glance? I figured it would have better glance support due to the OLED screen. That is another consideration as well since the Glance feature on the 640 isn't as full featured as the 1020, but this can also be changes made in W10 compared to WP8.1.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the 735 not have glance? I figured it would have better glance support due to the OLED screen. That is another consideration as well since the Glance feature on the 640 isn't as full featured as the 1020, but this can also be changes made in W10 compared to WP8.1.
The 730/735 and 930/Icon do not have Glance. Period. (unfortunately)

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I have a 735 (coming from an M8) and I love the size (I too like the smaller phones). It is under powered compared to the M8 but still gets the job done. I've never been a glance user and if it had the LED notification I'd probably turn it off (as I almost always have something in my Action Center awaiting attention). I'm on Verizon though.

I am VERY happy with the 735.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Huh... the more you know... does it have a notification LED in its stead?

There were rumors and such flying of it having such hardware, but it ultimately doesn't matter since Windows 10 Mobile doesn't support it for notifications. (or much of anything, really)

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a 735 (coming from an M8) and I love the size (I too like the smaller phones). It is under powered compared to the M8 but still gets the job done. I've never been a glance user and if it had the LED notification I'd probably turn it off (as I almost always have something in my Action Center awaiting attention). I'm on Verizon though.

I am VERY happy with the 735.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Performance wise, I am coming from a 1020, and it has met my needs (not a heavy app user with my most frequently used being: RSS reader, FB messenger, weather, maps and cycling GPS app), and the Lumia 640 has been snappy enough with its quad cores.

Hey jazen, I replied to your PM, let me know your thoughts. I like someone who does their homework. [=

Thanks! I do as much research as I can since its enjoyable.

There were rumors and such flying of it having such hardware, but it ultimately doesn't matter since Windows 10 Mobile doesn't support it for notifications. (or much of anything, really)

Gotcha. Does the Lumia 640's glance feature have less detail than say a Lumia 950? Or is W10m's Glance featureset different from WP8.1, and will show the same information regardless of phone?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Performance wise, I am coming from a 1020, and it has met my needs (not a heavy app user with my most frequently used being: RSS reader, FB messenger, weather, maps and cycling GPS app), and the Lumia 640 has been snappy enough with its quad cores.

Thanks! I do as much research as I can since its enjoyable.

Gotcha. Does the Lumia 640's glance feature have less detail than say a Lumia 950? Or is W10m's Glance featureset different from WP8.1, and will show the same information regardless of phone?

The Lumia 640 and 640 XL have only the clock, notification icons, and date features of glance. (so most people won't miss the missing features)

They can't do stuff like weather on glance and wallpapers but to be honest, Microsoft removed basically all those features in 10 anyway. At least in the Anniversary Update.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Ah, the weather was what I was missing most from Glance on the Lumia 1020. With Glance being less useful, I guess its not that big of a dealbreaker between the 830 and the 735.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Quick update, I had picked up a RM-1041 to test with on T-Mobile, that didn't work out very well as the phone kept cycling between 2G/LTE non-stop and I couldn't get MMS working. Found a RM-1039 for cheap, so I picked that up. I must say in the 12 hours I have used it, I am enjoying it. The size is a definite win, and even though it has the same CPU/memory specs as a 640, it feels snappier; not sure how to explain that. Glad I made the switch. Now to get rid of the 950 xl that I got from Black Friday BOGO...

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Quick update, I had picked up a RM-1041 to test with on T-Mobile, that didn't work out very well as the phone kept cycling between 2G/LTE non-stop and I couldn't get MMS working. Found a RM-1039 for cheap, so I picked that up. I must say in the 12 hours I have used it, I am enjoying it. The size is a definite win, and even though it has the same CPU/memory specs as a 640, it feels snappier; not sure how to explain that. Glad I made the switch. Now to get rid of the 950 xl that I got from Black Friday BOGO...

I also went back to my old 730 from the 950... The extra stuff like iris scanner and hey cortana did not work very well and the screen also had the issues of staying black or being dark. The 730 works rock solid under Windows 10 mobile.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Nice! Did you upgrade it to Windows 10 Mobile? How do you like the camera? I had one and I am considering it again. Also on T-Mobile too.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Nice! Did you upgrade it to Windows 10 Mobile? How do you like the camera? I had one and I am considering it again. Also on T-Mobile too.

I did upgrade to Windows 10m and to my surprise it actually works so much better than on the 640, to the point where I don't mind using it daily. The camera is naturally a step down from owning the 1020, but I haven't really needed to use it aside from documenting changes made at work, I have tried it in dark situations just to see how it works, and with a steady hand, I would say its not great, but not useless either.

I will be putting the 640 up for grabs soon.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I did upgrade to Windows 10m and to my surprise it actually works so much better than on the 640, to the point where I don't mind using it daily. The camera is naturally a step down from owning the 1020, but I haven't really needed to use it aside from documenting changes made at work, I have tried it in dark situations just to see how it works, and with a steady hand, I would say its not great, but not useless either.

I will be putting the 640 up for grabs soon.

Thanks, your response has helped me so much! Also glad that you mentioned that it works better than the 640 because I have one of those too and I haven't been pleased with it's performance at all with Windows 10 Mobile. Going to pull the trigger!

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
So I have used the 735 for a week now, and the only frustration I have had with it that is actually due to the phone and not the software (I am glaring at you FB Messenger...) is the double tap to wake feature. Aside from that, I really do love this phone, the size is that perfect sweet spot and the performance is sufficient.

My theory as to why DTTW doesn't work very well is due to false positives. I am guessing when the phone senses movement, it doesn't respond to DTTW so that your phone doesn't wake up in your pocket. I don't have any issues with waking it when the phone is sitting on a flat stable surface. I have had my L1020 get really warm because it would wake up in my pocket then activate Cortana only to sit around and wait for me to say something.

Not sure how DTTW differs on phones with Glance, but I do have to say the L640 is very responsive and I have had some false negatives on the L1020 (where I tap, but it doesn't wake). What are others opinion on this?

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
DTTW works here about 80%. Not perfect, and the 640 is way better in this aspect. Also, GPS of the 640 is much better.

Other than that, 730 is still performing even with the bugs of W10M.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey, guys, one question. Does Lumia 730 have glance screen on Windows 10 mobile? I know that it doesn't have it on Windows Phone 8.1, and I don't hope for much, but it would be great if it had glance screen on Windows 10 mobile. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb