Nokia Lumia 800 Camera Samples

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
As someone pointed out in the story comments, there's something suspicious about this comparison. One good observation, the exterior shots don't appear at all to be taken at the same time.

There are several other posts online demonstrating the cameras abilities

[Nokia World 2011] We take the Nokia Lumia 800 8 megapixel camera for a spin, return impressed

Nokia Lumia 800 camera samples (vs iPhone 4S/GSII) - SlashGear

Here's a full res set of low-light shots:
Nokia Lumia 800 Low Light Samples - a set on Flickr

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That writer of that comparison was obviously set on making the iPhone the winner no matter what. On a couple of the shots, I thought that the GS2 took a far better photo, but then in the commentary below, the writer praises the iPhone for doing the best.

A very biased, unfair comparison of the 800's abilities, says this man.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
That writer of that comparison was obviously set on making the iPhone the winner no matter what. On a couple of the shots, I thought that the GS2 took a far better photo, but then in the commentary below, the writer praises the iPhone for doing the best.

A very biased, unfair comparison of the 800's abilities, says this man.

I agree. I want to see TIMN or GSMArena do a comparison, they always seem to do very balanced, unbiased reviews. They also seem to be better photographers.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The writer praised the iPhone 4S because it sports the best camera in a smart phone to date. Sony camera, 5 lenses, and a lot of design went into it. Hopefully it causes all the manufactures to step up their game camera wise.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The only shots I disliked were the close ups and it looks like the Nokia didn't focus before it took the shot

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The special privilege of sucking >=(.
sorry I'm just disappointed that the camera is not amazing, I was planing to get the phone for that exact same reason.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
In this article, mentioned by fc000, it says that the Lumia doesn't have a two-stage camera button. Does that mean it doesn't have a half-press like all other WPs? I know it was mandated by MS, but Nokia does have special privileges, after all.

I must have missed that. No two-stage camera? That's terrible. One of the reasons I'd like to get a Lumia is for the Camera perks, and the sleek exterior, but from what I'm hearing, I think I'll be fine a bit longer with my year old Samsung Focus. It's still running buttery smooth, and there's no reason to upgrade.

The only compelling feature on a new Windows Phone that'll get me to buy it, is an improved camera, but from the sounds of it, so far, none of the new devices are dramatically better than the Focus camera.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I must have missed that. No two-stage camera? That's terrible. One of the reasons I'd like to get a Lumia is for the Camera perks, and the sleek exterior, but from what I'm hearing, I think I'll be fine a bit longer with my year old Samsung Focus. It's still running buttery smooth, and there's no reason to upgrade.

The main thing drawing me to the 800 is the sleek unibody design. And in my opinion, the camera on the 800 is good enough for the kind of pictures I usually take with my phone; If I want nice photos I'll always grab my real camera anyways.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have grown to like the two stage camera button BUT if it has auto focus I'm ok

The photographers most likely rushed all the images in an attempt to put up this comparison. I imagine if they had taken the time to really let it focus in, that the 800 would have really outshined them all.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Gosh.

People are so biased here. If someone said something bad about Nokia L800, some people here tried to use whatever reason to justify the result or suspect the motive of the author.

Grow up k?

It's as simple as, Nokia is a bit underexposed but Galaxy S2 is a bit overexposed. Neither is perfect. Besides, L800 gives a more natural look at the darker region.

Anyway, live with it, admit the facts and don't lie to heart. Lumia 800 is merely a product, not your pet or your beloved wife. It has pros and cons and Carl Zeiss doesn't guarantee perfect pictures, just as the most expensive SLR doesn't guarantee you the award of some photography competition. No need to call "sore grapes" here.

-----------
Btw, I noticed Nokia Lumia 800 takes a long time to tap, focus and shoot. Not a deal breaker for me, but it's a basic fact. Not sure if this will be better/faster if using the dedicated camera button instead of tapping.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
One thing I genuinely believe is that the close-up shot has clearly been taken before the soft-press on the Nokia 800. Even my shoddy HD7 takes a VASTLY better close-up shot than that example.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to image quality, well, nothing will trump a decent DSLR, and if you're the sort of person who has a DSLR, and consider yourself a photographer, then the image quality of your phone camera might matter to you on the basis that if you don't have your DSLR to hand, then the best camera is the one you have with you.

For everyone else however, a phone camera is something you grab and snap with, and whilst other cameras may be better, that doesn't mean the L800 is terrible.

On my iPhone (I plan to move to the L800), I use the integrated camera app, and also Camera+. With WP7 handsets, there are also plenty of third-party apps that will help maximise image quality, both at the time the picture is taken using techniques like HDR, and afterwards using image enhancement.

There's no reason to beleive you won't be able to take great pictures with the L800, but if image quality matters to you enough for this CNET report (and it's just one report) to be considered a deal breaker ... well, might I suggest you ask yourself "Am I a photographer?" and if the answer is yes, maybe you'd be better off with a DSLR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786