Lumia 800 on 3 (UK)

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 800 is now available to pre-order on 3, both on contract and pay as you go.

The PAYG version costs ?399, and you need to buy a ?10 or ?15 SIM. I've checked with 3 and they say it costs ?15 to unlock a phone.

So, an unlocked Lumia 800 via 3 will cost ?424, which isn't bad!

I'm somewhat tempted... despite saying I was happy with my Omnia 7!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Why could they not have a Titan as well, the miserable gits LOL

Lumia is no better than the Omnia sigh. :( (The included apps don't interest me)

Not tempted at all.

What is tempting you Stig ?

PS. You can buy it unlocked from mobilephonesdirect at ?389

Last edited:

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
What is tempting you Stig ?
I just think the 800 is a beautiful device. It should be really reliable too. Not that the Omnia 7 is ugly or unreliable. A Focus S would be too big for me; I think a 4 inch screen is really the upper limit.

Oh, and everyone I have shown my phone to this week has said "Oh, is that the new Nokia?" :lol:

Doing some calculations: ?424 is exactly the same price as buying an unlocked handset in France (€499).

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree with you on it's design, i absolutely love it, but would never spend that amount on a phone or waste an upgrade to get slightly smaller screen that i already have.

But that's just me. :)

Granted it has double the storage space, but i haven't even came near to filling my Omnia's 8GB LOL

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You like it and want it ? Go for it Stig, don't let me put you off. It's gorgeous. :)

I'm being very sensible at the moment, which is not like me at all when it comes to mobile phones. LOL

I just have this feeling if i was to go for my Titan, the Nokia ACE would be announced the very next day.

Must try to wait till the new year. (It'll be a Struggle) :)

Last edited:

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Definitely wait until the new year regardless of what you go for - all the networks keep prices at a fairly stable level as they know phones sell well as xmas presents. After xmas they need to clear stock and don't have as many buyers - sale time!

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Definitely wait until the new year regardless of what you go for - all the networks keep prices at a fairly stable level as they know phones sell well as xmas presents. After xmas they need to clear stock and don't have as many buyers - sale time!
Sensible advice.

However, 3 seem to have exclusive rights to the PAYG version in the UK at the moment, and the price is almost exactly what Nokia said it would be.

OK, there might be big price drops for the phone after Xmas, but I'd be very surprised as the phone will only have been out a couple of months.

nurium

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
As am on O2 would be tempted to buy on three on pay as you go and unlock but have a few questions:

Do you know if you will be able to immediately unlock the phone with three?
Will unlocking the phone void the warranty?
Will Three have any of their own branding on the phone? Eg. a 3 logo on the back.

Thanks.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
As am on O2 would be tempted to buy on three on pay as you go and unlock but have a few questions:

Will Three have any of their own branding on the phone? Eg. a 3 logo on the back.

Thanks.

welcome.gif

Why don't you tweet them and ask nurium, you will get a reply immediately.

They will probably do it for you for the normal charge of ?15

Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/ThreeUKSupport

No idea on a splash screen on the Nokia but my Omnia has one and a 3 app. That's it.

Welcome along to WPC :)

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

1) I think so
2) Dont think so
3) Certainly not..

I talked to a support guy from Three couple of days ago before i order ym PAYG.. he said no branding.. as for 1, he didnt mention there was a minimum amount of time I had to have the phone in order to get it unlocked.

Ad for 2, I've never heard warranty voided when you carrier unlock..

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site

Expansys now list the Lumia 800 at ?439, which is not much more expensive than the 3 offer + SIM + unlock. I'm trying to find what the shipping date is though.

MrMan365

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

My Queries exactly.. I dont see the point in waiting for a sim free version when you can get a paygo from Three... unless the answers to the above questions are negative...

ps. dont buy from Mobile phones direct
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews168318.html

Last edited:

MrMan365

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
For those that do not want to bother with payg, carphonewarehouse appears to have the sim-free lumia back in stock and for delivery within 2 days:

Nokia Lumia 800 | The Carphone Warehouse

Picked up a nokia lumia 800 today from Three store.
You have to buy it with a pay as you go sim card for ?15.
so total was ?415.

And guess what.. its already unlocked so need to spend another ?15 for three to get it done. I tested it with a tmobile sim card

so this is much cheaper than anywhere else.

There are no Three branding on the phone EXCEPT when you switch the phone on, a 3G splash screen appears. In addition to this there is a Three app which can be uninstalled.

Im looking into getting the Three splash screen removed.. possibly a firmware update to the generic nokia firmware should do it.
But not the end of the world as i probably wont see it again for a while until i have a reason to switch off the phone.

good luck and enjoy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium