Now I ain't a very smart man...

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
But I was thinking. The other day I took a serious look at the 800 and thought to myself "wow Nokia DOES make some nice looking stuff.". So I went to their site to check them out and came across the N8, which I heard had a beautiful camera. I looked online at some samples of the N8s photo capabilities and was floored by them. And that's what got me pondering:

If Nokia wanted to really make a splash jumping into the WP pool (of sparkling VOS water) why wouldn't they put the same camera in the 800? So many people really take a camera into consideration when buying a phone. Wouldn't that have been a great selling point for themselves AND WP alike?

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It might have had to do with keeping the cost where they wanted, or a logistics or supply issue. I do think they will be coming out with a future phone with what is perhaps the next step in the carl ziess line. Maybe that one is to replace what the N8 used and isn't ready for mass production yet. We don't know.

Nokia knows cameras are important. In fact, they were the first company to realize this. And until the iPhone 4S and GSII (and now Titan) they were the king. So hopefully they come back strong in the near future.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The Nokia N8 is still my primary phone. I think Nokia will come out with something similar running windows in 2012.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
I could see cost as definite factor. Or perhaps even eve waiting out for something special for forward facing cameras. I want to speculate that they they have a huge trick up their sleeve but a launch like they had for their first WP7 , who's specs are on par with other phones on the market now, leaves me with some doubt. I hate using apple as an example but it's just easier. I think they are who they are because they brought things never seen before and they kept it consistent throughout their products. Imagine if Nokia put the same camera on all future WP7 devices. To be the company with the best cameras. Get the notoriety ya know. That would stir up some noise, get people thinking outside the orchard. I'm just ranting. My apologies.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Nokia really need to give up the fruits if they're seriously wanting to dominate the WP market.

N8 gallery

The camera in the N8 is fantastic. They need to bring it to the WP market.

My wife has a nice Olympus camera, but she didn't bother using it on our last vacation. She only used her N8.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
But I was thinking. The other day I took a serious look at the 800 and thought to myself "wow Nokia DOES make some nice looking stuff.". So I went to their site to check them out and came across the N8, which I heard had a beautiful camera. I looked online at some samples of the N8s photo capabilities and was floored by them. And that's what got me pondering:

If Nokia wanted to really make a splash jumping into the WP pool (of sparkling VOS water) why wouldn't they put the same camera in the 800? So many people really take a camera into consideration when buying a phone. Wouldn't that have been a great selling point for themselves AND WP alike?

I'm I the only one that doesn't like the design of the Nokia phones?

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
N8 is a much thicker phone so maybe the 12mp would not fit inside the 800.

My thoughts exactly. The thickness of the camera is even greater than the rest of the phone, and I recall reading it was because of the lens mechanism or something. We should take into account that Nokia wanted to use the same frame/body of the N9 on the new Windows Phones, so that's probably why they didn't use the N8's camera on the Lumia 800. There just wouldn't have been a way to fit that thick camera into that design.

Oh, and I believe Nokia N8 is still the king of camera phones :)

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
LOL! I am sure you aren't the only one. Myself, I am more into the functionality.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Some people take a camera to be a large part in their decision. TO each their own

My thoughts exactly. The thickness of the camera is even greater than the rest of the phone, and I recall reading it was because of the lens mechanism or something. We should take into account that Nokia wanted to use the same frame/body of the N9 on the new Windows Phones, so that's probably why they didn't use the N8's camera on the Lumia 800. There just wouldn't have been a way to fit that thick camera into that design.

Oh, and I believe Nokia N8 is still the king of camera phones :)

If I would have to guessbased on my knowledge of DSLR photography that I would have to say the thinkness of the phone would have to be due to the size of the image censor. The more MP the device will have the larger the censor will have to be. But why not make the phone with less MP (lets say 9 or 10 which is still above average in todays world) but with the same quality to produce vibrant colors of the N8?

In regards to size how could it be justified saying the phone is to big when there are phones nearing 5" in size across not only in the WP market but in Android world. If two phone screen sizes are almost the same but they told a consumer the photos on the Nokia phone will be a **** of a lot better, it's just one more thing to make the comsumer think.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My suspicion here is that whilst there will have been a /lot/ of 'goals' for the Lumia 800, one of the primary goals will have been simply to make a splash! To do that they needed a phone that had strong industrial design - they want to tap into some of that design-appeal normally associated with Apple.

With the Lumia 800, Nokia have essentially taken the N9, tweaked the design a bit, stripped out Meego, and replaced it with WP7. Why? Speed. They needed to get a phone with a good design to market fast. Every day they waited would have been more ground ceded to iPhone and Android, and the N9 had already gotten good reviews from a design standpoint.

Now sure, they could probably have made an even bigger splash if they'd released a phone which had the BEST camera on a phone out there, or even more processing power, or more storage, or an even better screen ..; or.. or ..or ... !

My guess is, such an uber-phone is coming, and it will probably be designed from the ground up - but it's going to take a little more time to bring it to market. That doesn't mean the L800 is a poor phone, and for most people considering the L800 - there's no reason to wait. It's a great phone, and definately deserves to be in the 'iPhone killer' category, purely because it's great as a Windows Phone.

So, right now if the camera on the phone is one of the features that is your top priority, then you may be better off looking at another handset. Alternatively if you can stand to wait, then hang on and see what Nokia release Q1 / H1 2012.

anond

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just read today on Mashable that Nokia is planning a "high end" Lumia by the middle of next year. Now it's possible that Nokia is holding off the better camera for such a device. Given that 5MP-8MP is still the norm on most smartphones these days, Nokia wouldn't want to give it all away in one device.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing's for sure, the Lumia 800 camera is disappointing at present. You can get it to take good shots, but it's very picky about things and doesn't like low light. Plus autofocus in video mode is a bit erratic.

Here's hoping the software fix can help a lot.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It's customary for Nokia to keep improving their phones long after release with quite a handful of software fixes and the camera is one that they really like improving a lot. Ah, just remembered my old N86... :)

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Nokia almost killed themselves with worrying about camera hardware and not software. The cost of getting a great camera in a phone makes it to expensive and un-competative with other smart phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire