White / hissing noise using headphones

nurium

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Got my Lumia 800 and am loving it but when using earphones and playing music I hear an annoying hissing / white noise in the background. The noise starts just as your about to play music and stops a few seconds after pausing music. Anyone else getting the same or is my product faulty?

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've listened to quite a bit of music today and not experienced anything like that, sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you tried a different set of headphones?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

nurium

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I was using the Nuforce NE-7Ms which are a headset obviously not supplied by Nokia. Tried with some Goldrings and the hissing is still there but to a much lesser degree. I wouldn't notice it when using the phone in public but in a quiet place I do. Is it normal to have a small amount of this white noise? I do not get it when using the onboard speakers.

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Make sure your audio is of high enough quality. I.e a 96kbps/128kbps and even 192kbps has some significant 'hiss' (for me anyways). Try load a lossless format on it, see if you get any hissing. Or a 320kbps mp3 file let's say (still lossy but much higher quality).

nurium

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Am convinced it is not the quality of the audio as it continues after the music stops.

Just to clarify, I can actually hear the white noise / interference / hiss / pops / clicks (whatever you want to call it!) through the onboard speakers if I listen very carefully. Most noticeable once music stops playing as it continues for approx 2 seconds (I suppose when the audio processor stops sending data to the speaker). When listening through headphones, easiest way to hear it is to set volume to 0, and start playing a tune. I can hear it throughout.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I noticed exact the same white noise and it's behavior on my Focus S. Not on my Focus, though (will try again later to see if it's just something I never noticed before).

Headphones: ATH-M50s.

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Lumia and tested it out.. same thing.. but its not at all distinguishable.. you have to be really anal to listen to it.. in-ear headphones with dead silence..

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think the phone/OS supported lossless?

It might, but most decent mobile DAC internally don't process above 600kbps or so (at least the zune HD does around there), though a bad studio also might use audio sources not upto the quality.

But I think there is noticeable noise with decent cans, even on a good audio source, at least with my ATH-M50s in a quiet area. Audio set to 5/30. It's noticeable every once in a while. Just a little bit of hissing after a song ends, and a little pop before the hissing stops. I'm using CD lossless rips (Zune converted to 256/320k) of Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, and Eminem CDs, for reference. If it was something like a recent Metallica CD, I'd blame it on the studio for sure :p.

nurium

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Its nothing to do with the quality of the audio. You hear it when you are dialling numbers, when playing music, videos or any other time the sound card is activated. Its particularly annoying with quiet music or audio. I've tried several of my earphones and the loudness of the hissing (which also contains pops and even some mechanical sounds) varies on them. With my Nu-force NE-7Ms in-ear buds it is very distinguishable (something to do with the fact that it is a headset?) whilst with Goldrings earbuds and Sennheiser headphones less so.

Have to say aside from the ****e battery this is the most disappointing feature of the phone. I went back to Carphone Warehouse to see if it was just my unit but other stock had the same problem. What was interesting was that I was pretty sure the demo unit had the problem but to a lesser degree. The store clerk said that demo units usually have less software activated etc. Hoping it is therefore not a hardware issue but rather one that Nokia can fix with a firmware upgrade. Either way will need to make a decision soon as to whether I can live with it or exchange it for an iPhone.

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I've actaully noticed it as well, a sound in between tracks. I've noticed it alot when using Nokia Music streaming, no so much when using Zune tho.

dreamerbala

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that I hear a clicking noise when changing tracks.. or when the audio stops as well (just before the hissing ends)... must be some kind of noise cancellation that is causing a spike. In my Omnia 7, I get the hiss all the time.

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. played a little bit with it.. I cant seem to replicate the problem when using Zune with music i've got stored on the Lumia..

Problem only seems to appear when I am listening via Nokia Music streaming. Havent tried nokia music with local music tho!

Let me know if you find out the same thign

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Lumia 800 on Friday, and I'm noticing a definite clicking noise when changing tracks.

I also use my phone plugged into my car, via the 3.5mm jack, and I get the clicking noise there too.

I also have an LG E900, and using the same headphones, and car, with the same tracks, do not exihibit the noise.

In all cases, it's music played via Zune.

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I ended up taking my 800 back for a replacement due to the battery. My replacement appears to have fixed both the battery and the sound issues.

So if anyone's in a position to get a replacement then it's worth a shot.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the Titan and I also get audio pops between songs. I turned off sound enhancement to minimize the problem but it's still there. Strange it's happening on multiple devices. Maybe MS changed something in the minimum specs that is causing this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb