12-07-2011 04:27 PM
52 123
tools
    Indeed.. 5 minutes of PrimeTV use, it went down 4% :/
    11-25-2011 06:25 AM
    I've just reset mine to factory default, and set it up from scratch. This time I've logged into Windows Live, and Nokia - but that's /it/. I'm going to see how it fairs with NO email, NO apps of any kind ... so, no push updates, no live tiles besides the people hub - nothing.

I'll report back.
    11-25-2011 09:07 AM
    I'm experiencing similarly poor battery life.

I charged it last night and I have push mail on the go, have not played any games, wrote a few emails, checked the people hub a few times and i'm down to 30%. :(

I have a problem in general turning things off to preserve the battery life....what's the point in having location services and background services if you have them turned off all the time - use the phone with all the features as it was intended to be used - IMO

I'm really hoping that these two updates coming will drastically improve the battery life. My old iphone 4 (i love saying that!) would be at around 60%+ on the same usage pattern.
    11-25-2011 09:27 AM
    I don't seem to be having these issues. OK I don't have mail on push, but I do have location services on all the time and some live tiles.

I found that having the Me tile pinned but NOT the People tile made a fairly big difference in improving battery life for my Mozart and I've stuck to that with the Lumia, so that might be worth trying? Live tiles aren't all equal, and some clearly have more data demands (and as a result more power demands) than others.
    11-25-2011 09:55 AM
    What about when I get notifications about people tweeting at me? That seems to come whenever.
    Yes, you will get toasts whenever. But the tweet won't get loaded in your People hub till you open it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    11-25-2011 09:56 AM
    On the Nokia forums, there are a couple of people reporting that battery life is improved by turning off the automatic date/time updating.

Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life - Page 12 - Nokia Support Discussions

I'm trying this out. If anybody else wants to, we can compare results.

I have also disabled both options on the OS update notification tab.
    Last edited by jason404; 11-27-2011 at 05:19 AM.
    11-27-2011 05:11 AM
    I've been backing out of everything and noticed a massive improvement. I use the phone a fair amount for browsing and facebook etc. and it was still over 40% at 11 last night.

There's definitely an issue with background apps connecting over 3g when on standby. My data usage has shot up since I got the phone by about 50%. The constand 3g searching is killing the battery I reckon. I think freezing open apps when on standby would rectify this problem.
    11-27-2011 05:22 AM
    On the Nokia forums, there are a couple of people reporting that battery life is improved by turning off the automatic date/time updating.

Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life - Page 12 - Nokia Support Discussions

I'm trying this out. If anybody else wants to, we can compare results.

I have also disabled both options on the OS update notification tab.
    I don't even have that option so that has nothing to do with anything. Automatic time updating dosen't mean it's constantly checking the time though
    11-27-2011 05:41 AM
    I don't even have that option so that has nothing to do with anything.
    How could you not have the option? Are you running some sort of pre-release build?

I have the option and I don't think the OS has been updated since I first got the phone, which arrived the day it was released for sale (7.10.7720).

Automatic time updating dosen't mean it's constantly checking the time though
    Are you familiar with the concept of software bugs?
    11-27-2011 05:54 AM
    How could you not have the option? Are you running some sort of pre-release build?

I have the option and I don't think the OS has been updated since I first got the phone, which arrived the day it was released for sale (7.10.7720).

Are you familiar with the concept of software bugs?
    I'm on the same version of you and no it's not a pre release build...........Network software variations is the more probable/sensible reason.....

..... pre release build..... give over

Yes I am but as I don't have that time option it would be impossible for a software bug with it to affect my phone..........
    11-27-2011 07:24 AM
    Some UK networks restrict the usage of auto date and time as the phone pings the network and causes unneccessary traffic on 2g, sometimes getting stuck in a session and disabling SLR migration when you go to a different area. When I was in tech at Orange there were a lot of fixes that included "Set the right date and time" so it would refresh and remove the stuck session.
    11-27-2011 08:13 AM
    What do people make of this?

, while a second update in early January introduces high voltage charging, increasing the Nokia Lumia 800’s battery power from 1300mAh to 1450mAh.
    Nokia: Couple Of Updates To Improve Nokia Lumia 800 Battery Life Coming | WMPoweruser

The battery is currently only charging to 1300mAh?
    11-27-2011 10:08 AM
    Why on earth would they restrict the battery from being fully charged ?

I didn't even know you could charge a battery at less than it's max capacity.

I guess by software you can. When battery is charged to say 80% stop charging.

But why ? Hmmmm.
    11-27-2011 10:11 AM
    Why on earth would they restrict the battery from being fully charged ?

I didn't even know you could charge a battery at less than it's max capacity.

I guess by software you can. When battery is charged to say 80% stop charging.

But why ? Hmmmm.
    Check out Battery University. The site looks very different to how it did when I read it around four years ago, and it looks like there is a lot of new content, so I should go through it again some time.

Basically, I think the phone is not discharging the battery to 0%, as that would dramatically reduce the life of the battery. With a sealed unit like the Lumia 800, this is a bigger problem and potential warranty cost for Nokia.

For many years ThinkPad laptops have had the ability in the ThinkVantage Power Options software to set maximum and minimum charging thresholds, to increase battery life. I set my ThinkPads to never start charging if the battery already has over 80% capacity charge and for it to never charge over 95%, from reading stuff at Battery University a long time ago, and my laptop batteries have always kept relatively close to their original charge capacities for the full two years that I keep them before upgrading. I also try my best to avoid discharging below 10%, but that is unavoidable from time to time.
    Last edited by jason404; 11-28-2011 at 12:44 AM.
    TheWeeBear likes this.
    11-28-2011 12:27 AM
    So, reporting back since by reset on Friday.

I've actually tried using the phone a little differently and now things are better .. but still not right.

I've begun 'backing out' of applications rather than using the home button. I've also removed the People, and 'Me' live tiles from the start screen. Battery life seems much improved, but it is still erratic.

Over the weekend for example, battery life seemed to be lasting in an acceptable way. However this morning I unplugged it from the charger at 100%, and despite spending only 30 minutes listening to FM radio, by the time I'd finished my first meeting at work, the battery had plunged to 64% .... in addition, it felt suspiciously warm, despite having not been placed anywhere near a heat source, and it had been left completely untouched for a while.

FUrther, accessing Nokia's diagnostic tool reveals the battery is not shown as charged to full capacity when Windows reports 100% (So, it says something like charged to 1344mAh when the maximum capacity is 1516mAh). This could be by design to avoid over-flattening the battery, or it could be a reporting issue ... but right now I could really use that extra 172mAh!!!

In short, I've now reached the stage where only some suspicious plunges are causing me a problem. Is this a heat issue ... or is the phone doing something that causes it to heat up and chew through battery? If it's the latter then I'm hoping an update can sort this out, but Nokia are not being forthcoming with information. This might be somewhat understandable given how important this launch has been to them, but still, the mood amongst customers suffering this problem is rather stormy right now!

Anyone else noticed any particular 'plunges' in battery life coinciding with the handset getting warm?
    11-28-2011 04:53 AM
    I just went back to the Three store i bought my 800 from and got it changed to a new one. On my old one i never got the Estimated time remaining of the battery life over 11 hours, when unplugging it directly after a full charge (with all radios off, brightness to low). On this new one, when unplugging after a full charge. It estimates an remaining time of 1 Day and 13 hours.

This really confirms that there actually has been an bad batch of Lumias.. I bought the first one 16.11, which was the launch day of the Lumia here in London.
    11-28-2011 11:45 AM
    I just went back to the Three store i bought my 800 from and got it changed to a new one. On my old one i never got the Estimated time remaining of the battery life over 11 hours, when unplugging it directly after a full charge (with all radios off, brightness to low). On this new one, when unplugging after a full charge. It estimates an remaining time of 1 Day and 13 hours.

This really confirms that there actually has been an bad batch of Lumias.. I bought the first one 16.11, which was the launch day of the Lumia here in London.
    Good news mate. My replacement should be coming tomorrow so hopefully mine will go that high, I don't think my old one ever did.

Keep us updated
    11-28-2011 01:09 PM
    Here are my theories so far:

I beleive a combination of issues is causing some of these battery issues, rather than one specific issue. The following are my observations and theories I ahve formed after having spent time using the Lumia 800:

+ I think there is a bug where the phone gets caught up in some kind of loop and starts to consume processor capacity - this results in a rapid drop of battery power over a short space of time. This coincides with the handset becoming warm or hot, even if left away from a heatsource.
    + I think there is a bug where background tasks are allowed to carry out too much activity, even when not connected to WiFi - this results in the phone being quite busy, and battery power suffers. This would explain why users who say they have 'backed out' of all their applications see less of a problem.
    + There is a bug where WiFi fails. This manifests as the handset not connecting to a known WiFi network, and when you access the 'settings' - you cannot go into the WiFi section. At the same time battery life plunges. This could be the phone repeatedly trying to reset it's WiFi stack.
    + I think there is an issue with the way the phone monitors the battery power, which affects both regulation of charging and discharging of the battery.
    + I think there is an issue with the way Live Tiles are handled - some users have reported improvements when they have reduced the number of live tiles pinned ... including removing the 'People' hub Tile.

These are just my observations, and there are other theories out there too.
    One thing is clear - even if you can improve the situation by turning off this or that, you certainly should not have to - and some of the issues that are affecting the handset are clearly bugs or faults, and Nokia need to come clean about that, particularly if it's a physical issue that can't be addressed with a simple update.
    11-28-2011 05:59 PM
    Here are my theories so far:

I beleive a combination of issues is causing some of these battery issues, rather than one specific issue. The following are my observations and theories I ahve formed after having spent time using the Lumia 800:

+ I think there is a bug where the phone gets caught up in some kind of loop and starts to consume processor capacity - this results in a rapid drop of battery power over a short space of time. This coincides with the handset becoming warm or hot, even if left away from a heatsource.
    + I think there is a bug where background tasks are allowed to carry out too much activity, even when not connected to WiFi - this results in the phone being quite busy, and battery power suffers. This would explain why users who say they have 'backed out' of all their applications see less of a problem.
    + There is a bug where WiFi fails. This manifests as the handset not connecting to a known WiFi network, and when you access the 'settings' - you cannot go into the WiFi section. At the same time battery life plunges. This could be the phone repeatedly trying to reset it's WiFi stack.
    + I think there is an issue with the way the phone monitors the battery power, which affects both regulation of charging and discharging of the battery.
    + I think there is an issue with the way Live Tiles are handled - some users have reported improvements when they have reduced the number of live tiles pinned ... including removing the 'People' hub Tile.

These are just my observations, and there are other theories out there too.
    One thing is clear - even if you can improve the situation by turning off this or that, you certainly should not have to - and some of the issues that are affecting the handset are clearly bugs or faults, and Nokia need to come clean about that, particularly if it's a physical issue that can't be addressed with a simple update.
    Great post. I think you should e-mail Nokia this, and hopefully they'll have a look into each and every point made.
    11-29-2011 05:02 AM
    Just got my replacement from my network. Hopefully this will be better than the other one
    11-29-2011 11:09 AM
    Have to say, my battery life seems to be getting better and better everyday.

Perhaps those initially discredited ideas that they handset 'needed a few cycles' weren't so crazy after all?

Normally the official message usually reads something along the lines of 'batteries are already pre-conditioned', but maybe in Nokia's haste to get the product out the door, the battery wasn't so well conditioned?

Who knows - we may never fully find out, but with an update potentially coming tomorrow (according to my sources), hopefully everything will all come good in the end :)
    11-30-2011 08:43 AM
    Nobody has quoted this yet? Lumia 800 not using the battery to its fullest, update coming January | nokiagadgets.com

We understand that some people have expressed concerns about battery life on the Nokia Lumia 800. Early investigations show that most people are enjoying the full Nokia Lumia experience without any problems and we have not been able to identify a single root cause that would lead to erratic battery behavior at this stage. A software update in early December will make some improvements to power efficiency, while a second update in early January introduces high voltage charging, increasing the Nokia Lumia 800s battery power from 1300mAh to 1450mAh. These are scheduled improvements and will enhance the overall experience, but are not designed to address any issues that may be occurring with individual products. We recommend that anyone who has concerns contact local Nokia care representatives at their earliest convenience. - Nokia
    11-30-2011 11:05 AM
    When using Nokia Diagnostics, I'm able to see that my battery charges to 1344mAh and no more, but the 'maximum' capacity is displayed as 1511mAh.

Some have told me that leaving a bit of 'overhead' is by design .. to offset degradation of the battery during the anticipated life of the product. Increasing the charge level therefore gives you more battery now, but reduces the capability of the product to offset degradation later on. It should be noted that 'degradation' is something that will occur either sooner or later depending on how you use the phone, and how the product is charged.

I don't know how true all this is - just what I've heard from others, and i've also heard that it's no different on other products from other manufacturers, regardless of them running WP7, iOS, Android or anything else.

That quote from Nokia is also a little different from the one I saw on the forums, and answers a question I had. Nokia are saying updates are on the way, but are in no way acknowledging that there is a genuine problem with the handset. This is dissapointing. I can understand why during this 'launch period' (and it's a VERY important launch for Nokia) that they might be reluctant to acknowledge any problems, but at the same time NOT handling problems like this in the right way can do far more serious damage to a company in the long run.

I hope this all works out for the best - I like the Lumia and Windows Phone. Both are overdue for some success!
    11-30-2011 11:26 AM

My phone is direct from Nokia - I took it out for the first time today, took it off the charge at 10am, it went off completed flat at 2.30pm.
    Last edited by cgk1; 12-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    12-04-2011 01:37 PM
    today seems a bit better and I've tweaked and turned off a lot of things - anyone got any idea when this battery update is coming?
    12-05-2011 10:29 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD