Battery Life

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Fellow Lumia 800 owners....

How is your battery life been? I appreciate we have all been doing a bit more playing with the phone than usual....but would be interesting to see how well or not the battery life has been.

I've got under 10% remaining but had to plug in a little at work :p

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

M

mkr10001

I plugged mine in at work today, it got down to warning me about low battery but it wasn't fully charged in the morning. I'll report back tomorrow how well it does

M

mkr10001

Battery was charged last night, woke up this morning and it was on 35%. From just sitting there doing nothing. WiFi was on but I don't think it was doing any thing.

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Interesting: my only slight complaint with my Samsung Omnia 7 is the battery only just lasts a day with heavy use. I weas hoping the Lumia would be better.

I look forward to hearing your experiences after a few more charge cycles.

M

mkr10001

There could be something up with it because I'm in no way heavily using it

yloop

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine is eating the battery at the minute although it has got better since I turned my webmail accounts to only pull email on request.

I have wi-fi on all the time and bluetooth too. Going to try it without bluetooth as I only use it to connect when I'm in the car. Probably needs a few cycles too.

M

mkr10001

I hope it does need cycles and it's not just rubbish. I've never heard of it needing a few cycles before it gets how it should be before. But we shouldn't need to turn wifi and data off just to get through the day. I think the people hub will use data and suck battery.

Is there a way to turn off automatic updates and only check when we open it up for example?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off automatic updates and only check when we open it up for example?
The People hub does not update (Facebook) in the background. It updates when you open it. Addresses and contact info updates when you sync your mail accounts.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

M

mkr10001

The People hub does not update (Facebook) in the background. It updates when you open it. Addresses and contact info updates when you sync your mail accounts.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

What about when I get notifications about people tweeting at me? That seems to come whenever.

sloppy standard

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I got my Lumia last Friday, and played with it all weekend, but plugged it in regularly to either the charger or my PC. Today was the first day I took it out "in the wild" all day, at work, on my commute, showing it off to friends, etc.

Unplugged it from the charger before leaving at 7:30am, an hour on the train of bluetooth music and web browsing, checking Facebook, etc. Then maybe an hour throughout the day of checking emails, letting co-workers play with it, and one more hour on the train of Bluetooth and browsing.

Also on the train I tested the the Nokia Drive GPS and Bing Maps. I got a low battery warning at 6pm, at home, and did as they suggested and put it on battery saver mode, which I had not as yet done. Then I tried out Squeeze Remote (a 3rd party app for Logitech Squeezebox) then a few minutes later and without warning the phone turned itself off. It's currently charging.
I'm not sure if I'm happy with that battery life, but it's no worse than my one-year old HTC Desire.
I do think it should last longer, considering it only went through 3 or 4 hours of serious usage and maybe 5 minutes of calling.

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I can;t say am very impressed either.. Thought my BlackBerry couldn't hold a charge, but I can't go more than 8-9 hours without charging with my Lumia

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Ouch..

Last time charged: 3 hours
Estimated time remaining: 1 hour!!

About 20 min of nokia music streaming, 30 mins of angry birds, 3 emails syncing every 2 hours, no other background location updates, etc etc..

I dont think asking for a replacement will change anything, as it seems to be a widespread problem rather than a single incident ;/

p.s also noticed it heats up quite a bit every now and then..

p.s.s

Another problem Iv've just noticed which may be related to this, is that my battery doesn't fully charge up to it's full capacity..

The battery diagnostics tool says my full charge capacity is 1524mAh, and the remaining charged capacity is stuck at 1357mAh for 2+ hours now (charging).

Last edited:

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
After 24-hours with the phone, I'm already quite concerned about Battery life.

I've not done much with it, but after taking it off the charger (100%) before going to bed, it had dropped to 87% by morning.

After what I'd consider light usage during the day (just checking emails, accessing twitter, NO games, movies or music), the battery is now (at 3.30PM) down to 20%, and battery saver has activated.

This is definitely not the sort of battery life I was used to on the iPhone, and I'm very much hoping that Nokia will push out an update to improve the situation, or at least tell us if some of the handsets have an issue.

I'll be doing a few things to try and see if I can improve the battery situation, but I'm certainly concerned that the product can't seem to survive the day.

Does anyone have any tips? Is it better to 'slow charge' using USB than use the in-box 'fast' charger? Is there anything that I should be turning off to avoid heavy battery penalties?

In every other respect the phone is excellent - but I really hope Nokia get on the case quickly with this problem.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Thus far I'm on my first full charge/run down cycle. I don't have many live tiles (Me, weather, Prime TV) and my email accounts are all on manual sync. I'd say I'm a light to moderate user on weekdays, with most of the time spent on wi-fi and data off (I live in a poor signal area, so there's no point leaving it on 3G as it'll just burn through power looking for a signal).

For this charge cycle I'm looking at 36 hours at the moment (19 hours gone, 17 predicted left). I was expecting worse, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm away at the weekend though so will likely use the phone much more then, so it'll be interesting to see how the battery holds up.

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
There's quite a discussion going over at the Nokia support forums..

Am also doing a mini-project, see what's actually causing the battery to drain so fast. Posting all the updates in the Nokia Support forum so feel free to see what I've been testing out there.

p.s the battery life is indeed abysmal for many users which leads me to believe it's not a bad battery batch but more of a firmware problem.

M

mkr10001

There's quite a discussion going over at the Nokia support forums..

Am also doing a mini-project, see what's actually causing the battery to drain so fast. Posting all the updates in the Nokia Support forum so feel free to see what I've been testing out there.

p.s the battery life is indeed abysmal for many users which leads me to believe it's not a bad battery batch but more of a firmware problem.

I'm thinking the opposite. I think it's a bad batch of batteries. The fact that it is so widespread, different countries and networks. Surely all of the phones sent out to a particular network would all have the same firmware on, so why would some firmware be defective, and others not, even though it's the same version?

ombadboy

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, thats why there are so many people with problems. If it were a bad batch of batteries I would assume it would be more localized than it currently is. I am thinking that it's one particular feature of the phone that is causing the draining, which some people seem to be using alot (the ones that have the problem, i.e us) and some are not (and finding the battery life to be ok). And this draining is mostly caused by a bug in the firmware, as other WP7 phones don't have such issue.

Also, if it were a bad batch, then even if you get a replacement, there is a high possibility it would be from the same batch and therefore same problem.

If you are getting a replacement, let me know how it goes. Try install the same apps, use it in the same way, see how the battery goes then.

If your not going for a replacement, we could try work out together whats causing this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6