EE put the Lumia 800 on 'StopShip' over battery issue

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I've heard from a reliable source inside 'Everything Everywhere' (Orange & T-Mobile) that they have STOPPED SHIPPING the Lumia 800 to stores until Nokia fix the battery problem.

Furthermore, the repair department at Everything Everywhere are automatically 'failing' all Lumia 800's that come to them with a reported battery /charger issue. They aren't testing or checking them - they just mark them as failed, and send them back to Nokia.

The same source has told me a maintenance update is scheduled for release on 1st December, but has no details about what the update will do.

Clearly there is a serious problem here, serious enough that EE have stopped shipping the Lumia 800 to their stores.

At least this means that it's not just a group of vocal users that Nokia has to deal with, but a major Network operator who must also clearly be dissapointed with this.

We will have to wait and see what the update brings, but the pressure is now on Nokia to address the battery concerns, and fast!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps Nokia will release the 'Charge the battery to 100%' fix sooner than they had planned now then. :)

Or maybe not. Who knows.

It's still available on their websites. :)

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Until you can pin sources or have some weight I'd not concern myself with such a claim. both providers sell phones much more broken than this, I doubt they're flipping out over the minority getting shorted out of a bit of battery.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Until you can pin sources or have some weight I'd not concern myself with such a claim. both providers sell phones much more broken than this, I doubt they're flipping out over the minority getting shorted out of a bit of battery.

For obvious reasons I can't reveal details of the source, nor am I prepared to reference what position they hold or the department they work in. This is for their protection. I accept that their information is simply that of an employee - but I beleive them io be in a good position to comment on what EE are doing in response to these issues.

You are quite right, network operators are pushing out plenty of fairly shody handsets, but it should also be taken into account that even prior to the Lumia 800's launch, many commentators were reporting that Network operators had high hopes for Windows Phone, as they don't want the SmartPhone market boiling down /entirely/ to Android & iPhone.

The 'minority' of users of which you speak have so far been difficult to quantify. How many users are affected? Is it a fault? A Software issue? A load of fuss about nothing? If my source is correct, then the 'minority' must be large enough for EE to have taken this action, and the problem must also be real enough for them to have taken this action. A large company like EE don't just stop shipping a phone that they're heavily investing in with marketing and launch offers because of a tiny minority or a non-event.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Just saying, as far as quality goes, Nokia would be more likely to issue a recall than orange or t-mobile.

Oh I agree - only the manufacturer can issue a recall, but once stock of a certain handset has been bought up by a reseller or -in this case- a network operator, they have a certain amount of discretion in what they do with it, and if they feel the need to hold it back because of a problem, then that's their decision.

It's also possible that they're holding stock back, because they've got a high number of requests for replacement handsets - requests they wouldn't be able to satisfy if they distributed the stock they have out to their stores.

Now, granted, the reason for holding it back could be that a genuine problem has been identified, or it could simply be that they feel there is a perceived problem due to what has been happening on the Nokia forums and elsewhere. That decision -if true- has been made fairly 'high up'!

yloop

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I work for Orange, we're still shipping the phone as normal, it's still on the website and still available for the sales, upgrades and retentions teams to ship.

There have been a few returns due to battery issues however the handsets are being tested and going back into the care loop as normal. The return rate for this handset is very low compared to other new release handsets.

Not sure which department your source is in, (PSL2 maybe, they deal with advanced faults once frontline get to the end of standard diagnostics) but there is nothing happening on the scale you've been told.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb