Anyone using the Lumia in North America?

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also regardless of what you read/hope, 850 is not supported on this phone, and in Canada 850 is the choice hspa band, 1900 may work in some places but it's an afterthought and it won't be as good as 850 in most cases.

It really is a stunning phone.

After a quick Google search, I came across this page that has a map of all tower locations in Canada, and their supported frequencies with carrier filters. After doing a quick look around the downtown core here in Toronto, every tower has 1900Mhz supported, including dedicated 1900Mhz towers, and some even support 2100Mhz.

The map seems pretty accurate, considering areas I know of with poor coverage have a distinct lack of towers servicing those areas.

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It really is a stunning phone.

After a quick Google search, I came across this page that has a map of all tower locations in Canada, and their supported frequencies with carrier filters. After doing a quick look around the downtown core here in Toronto, every tower has 1900Mhz supported, including dedicated 1900Mhz towers, and some even support 2100Mhz.

The map seems pretty accurate, considering areas I know of with poor coverage have a distinct lack of towers servicing those areas.

See I don't quite believe that, Regina says all 850/1900 yet I haven't been on 3g anywhere.

jameskk1

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I purchased an Italian model from expansys and I'm seeing the H here in Charlotte, NC. I have no idea what bands it came with. I can't see any reference on the box and the manuals are all in Italian. :confused:

pretty much all of Nc/SC/ east TN are all 1900. original Bellsouth DCS markets.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This phone is staying with me. Stunning, fast, and even though I don't get Hsdpa everywhere, it still maintains a data connection at all times unlike the Samsung Focus.

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This phone is staying with me. Stunning, fast, and even though I don't get Hsdpa everywhere, it still maintains a data connection at all times unlike the Samsung Focus.

Once again I was tempted to keep it still for the odd chance I may get 1900 service, but I figure there will be American versions out soon enough.

SaPlaneGuy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Lumia yesterday from NCIX and it's been on HSDPA all the time since I got it up and running. I'm on Telus in BC, Canada, for reference. Kicking around that tower website, Telus looks to have 1900 on all of its towers in cities at least.

Unrelated: the GPS is awesome on this thing. Better than the horrible no-siglnal-within-10-feet-of-indoors my Milestone gets, anyway. :cool:

for.doc

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The current Lumia 800s do not support the 850 3g band. Some sites are listing the 850 3g. I contacted Nokia and they said that it currently does not support US bands. However, they said that the Lumia 800 will be coming to the US.

Of course no timetable.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Lumia yesterday from NCIX and it's been on HSDPA all the time since I got it up and running. I'm on Telus in BC, Canada, for reference. Kicking around that tower website, Telus looks to have 1900 on all of its towers in cities at least.

Unrelated: the GPS is awesome on this thing. Better than the horrible no-siglnal-within-10-feet-of-indoors my Milestone gets, anyway. :cool:

Nice another Lumia Owner in BC!

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Lumia yesterday from NCIX and it's been on HSDPA all the time since I got it up and running.

HSDPA shows up as "3G", and HSPA+ shows as "H" at the top of the screen.

What's odd, is I get HSPA+ speeds, but it still shows "3G". If I enter the proper APN info for Fido, I do get the "H", with the same high speeds, but when it drops to "3G", I lose all data connections.

SaPlaneGuy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
HSDPA shows up as "3G", and HSPA+ shows as "H" at the top of the screen.

Whoops, I got those mixed up. I'm getting HSPA+ consistently then, since the H is what I always see. This thread had me worried about the frequencies for a bit after my order, but it's worked out.

RM58

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Works fine on the Telus 3G network in Calgary Alberta. I have been using it for a week. You do need to download the Nokia Network app from Zune so that MMS (picture texting) works. Click on this link with your phone:
zune://navigate?phoneAppID=b95840dc-a542-42a6-bee4​-7d1a12f62d2c

Your phone needs to have the latest 7740 update. Delete any manually added APN settings and restart phone. I can finally send MMS from my Lumia.
:)

malik2k1

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I installed and ran the Nokia Network App and I am now getting H when downloading via data connection as the phone is HSDPA. I am running my phone on Fido. I suggest anyone who is unable to get an H connection on download to install the app as it seems to setup the phone correctly.

You can't search the app in the marketplace so email yourself this link via hyperlink in an email and access it on your phone and it should route you to the download.

zune://navigate/?phoneAppID=b95840dc-a542-42a6-bee4​-7d1a12f62d2c

Make sure you link a phrase in your email to this address as the address does not appear as a link on emails.

Enjoy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon