Anyone using the Lumia in North America?

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I've ordered a Lumia 800 from the UK. It hasn't arrived yet but I got nervous reading a post on Nokia's support forum, saying that while the specs say it supports UMTS 850, it doesn't seem to actually work on it...

Anyone noticed any problems with this?

I'm on Rogers network in Canada. If this is true, does anyone know if this will actually affect my coverage?

Thanks!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Recieved my Lumia yesterday and I'm on Rogers to I get both 2G and 3G just fine I havent checked for HSPDA+ so far so good!

This phone is sooo slick where are you located Vancouver?

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, it made me a little less stressed out, ha ha...

I'm in Edmonton and I ordered the phone from Clove.co.uk. It's supposed to be delivered today. Where did you buy your phone?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Recieved my Lumia yesterday and I'm on Rogers to I get both 2G and 3G just fine I havent checked for HSPDA+ so far so good!

This phone is sooo slick where are you located Vancouver?

Say what now??? You got it to work on 3G? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it works on Rogers, it should work on AT&T... Which means I may consider picking one up myself :D

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It should I'm going to be going to the states on Saturday I will check it out. IMO wait for the US Lumia phones with FFC, NFC, LTE dont get a Lumia 800. I only bought this because I gave away my Focus and I am one-for-one

One of the first people to have the iPhone 1 in Canada (before unlock) and now look where it is now.

Now I am one of the first to have the Lumia which hopefully yeilds the same result :)

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
@based_graham

Where are you located? How fast is the 3G working for you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not too concerned if I can't get super high-speed with this phone, but I will need to use it for simple browsing, e-mails, facebook, apps, etc. I don't care about LTE, FFC or NFC so I didn't want to wait for a North American release.

It would suck if I have to return it... I picked this phone because they said it had 3G coverage for both NA and EU, which is imperative to me as I travel A LOT! And now they just change their minds... :mad: I see some stores have changed their spec sheets, but Nokia's own website still insists it has 850 coverage...

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
@based_graham

Where are you located? How fast is the 3G working for you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not too concerned if I can't get super high-speed with this phone, but I will need to use it for simple browsing, e-mails, facebook, apps, etc. I don't care about LTE, FFC or NFC so I didn't want to wait for a North American release.

It would suck if I have to return it... I picked this phone because they said it had 3G coverage for both NA and EU, which is imperative to me as I travel A LOT! And now they just change their minds... :mad: I see some stores have changed their spec sheets, but Nokia's own website still insists it has 850 coverage...
Located in Vancouver what app do you recommend for speed tests?

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
So I checked with a couple of blogs/websites that have done a review of the Lumia and it is supposed to have 3G on AT&T, which means it should have it on Rogers as well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a windows phone yet so I don't know... ;)

But just the general "feel" when you're browsing etc.?

Everything from OS, Browser, Mango Apps is butter smooth. For example it rendered ESPN.com in less than 5 seconds this thing is super fast and man what a slick phone. All I have to say is too bad it doesn't have a FFC, NFC and LTE so its not very future proof.

I will be getting the Lumia 900 or any newer Nokia Apollo Models next year

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Got my phone late last night thanks to an awesome DHL guy who agreed to deliver it on his way home from his shift! ;)

I can confirm it does work on Rogers/Fido 3G. Love this phone!

I also only had to pay $36 in taxes/fees, so I'm pretty happy about that! :D

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Got my phone late last night thanks to an awesome DHL guy who agreed to deliver it on his way home from his shift! ;)

I can confirm it does work on Rogers/Fido 3G. Love this phone!

I also only had to pay $36 in taxes/fees, so I'm pretty happy about that! :D

Wow really I got jipped

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow really I got jipped

Yeah, that's weird. Even though I'm in Alberta and only have GST added, but even at that it shouldn't be so much... Isn't the HST in BC like 12%?

I noticed that they calculate the tax based on value in CAD. Maybe you got a different exchange rate or something? I noticed the exchange rate on mine was better than what I had calculated for myself when I bought it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb