Sound Quality

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been seeing reports of the 800 having horrible sound quality, but for those of you who have it, is it true? I imagine that it's not audiophile quality or anything, but for it to be quite as bad as some have said would be a major oversight on Nokias part.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile or anything, but can hear the differences between good quality music/playback and bad.

The Lumia is perfectly fine in this respect in my opinion. Certainly nothing glaringly wrong with it, no hissing, crackling or popping and both the Zune and Nokia Music provide a nice environment to launch music from.

If you're very concerned about it though it would be worth your while trying to find a display model so you can test it for yourself.

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile or anything, but can hear the differences between good quality music/playback and bad.

The Lumia is perfectly fine in this respect in my opinion. Certainly nothing glaringly wrong with it, no hissing, crackling or popping and both the Zune and Nokia Music provide a nice environment to launch music from.

If you're very concerned about it though it would be worth your while trying to find a display model so you can test it for yourself.

Good to know. I'm currently using an iPod touch with $30 headphones, so Im obviously not much of a stickler for high end audio quality. Still debating between this and the Samsung focus, but if the sound quality is decent then I may have to go with this one.

Lucaat

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I made this compilation of graphs the other day and sent it to nokia.

Nokia Lumia 800 Audio Quality issue

There is a thread on the nokia discussion forums where many people report audio problems, such as "no bass".

The 800 seems ok with an external amplifier, but with headphones it cut's off bass frequencies! IMD noise is subpar.

The performance of the 710 is catastrophic.

the shown Iphone 4S perfoms oustandingly well. Exact frequency response low IMD and low cross talk!

For reference I added the C7 I have, it performs pretty good! The Nokia N9 also performs well, I don't know what it is about the Lumias, but as of now I would say audiophiles stay away!

I hope this gets fixed in future Windows Phones from Nokia! then I would want one again :)

EvilFiek

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll add my voice to those saying that the sound quality is sub-par. I am not exactly an audiophile but still aim for good quality audio in all devices I have and I tried several sets of headphones (Klipsch S4, Hifiman Re-Zero, UltimateEars Triple.Fi 10) and with all of them the sound quality of my Lumia 800 is far worse compared to the MP3 player I usually use, a Sansa Clip+.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Sound quality is great when I use my AKG K240 II, even without an amp. Stock headphones are ok, but they don't really fit well in my ear

stueyboy1

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Seems it is a problem with the 3.5mm jack socket. I use the BH-111 bluetooth headset and the sound quality is as good if not better than my previous android phone. There is a definite loss of quality when plugged into the socket directly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss