word of advice, don't drop this thing

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I dropped mine today for the first time.

It first hit the floor with the screen and bounced and turned and landed on the back.

I can not find any sign of the fall at all. Not anywhere on the glass nor body.

Reaction80

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I guess I've just been incredibly lucky with mine... Dropped it more times than I can count on several nights out and it's holding up well. It was also thrown from a 2nd story balcony on holiday and it survived. Although it did land on grass that time.

Oronolek

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
While I am sure that the Lumia 800 shatters easier, I highly doubt that you're making a fair comparison with the Note. If both were face-down drops, it's obvious that the drop will take a larger toll on the bulging screen of the 800.

If I drop my phone and its screen cracks, it means I made a bad drop. My Omnia has pummeled to the ground many times, I'm not cursing at Samsung for my own clumsiness.

Also, why are you blaming this on Nokia? None of these companies ever help you out if you grey import. Didn't you know the risks of buying through unofficial channels?

The reason I'm making a comparison is because the exact same thing happened with both of them. One shattered, one didn't... simple as that.

I'm not blaming Nokia for me dropping my phone, I accept full responsibility with that and wanted to warn everyone else what could happen(look at the thread title). What I AM saying though, is that this is the weakest phone screen I've had, and Nokia cannot direct me to anybody who sells a screen. All they wanna do is say that your phone is not in warranty anymore, call this person and that person and stop calling us about it. All I want to do is purchase a screen for my phone, which is why I'm contacting everyone that I can to try and source one out.

And FYI, something similar to this happened with my buddies HD2 back when it first came out. HTC themselves SENT him a replacement screen. That right there is customer support.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So after a week of having this phone, i dropped it while pulling it out of my pocket... so i guess about a 3 foot drop... the screen didn't stand a chance on concrete. Didn't think the screen was THIS fragile, as i've dropped my galaxy note in literally the exact same spot with the same circumstances and all i got was a dead pixel on that one.

Funny thing is i'm usually not clumbsy with my phones, yet i dropped both of my favorite phones that i've ever had lol.

Nothing like old Nokia 3310 ;)

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia N8 screen is very scuffed up, mainly because I usually keep it face down because of the back camera module doesn't allow it to sit level. I don't think Gorilla Glass is that great of glass, because I have seen too many shattered screens claiming to have GG. I have one huge scratch on the screen from dropping it from my hand to the desk (about 0.25 M) and have numerous other smaller scratches from not using a case. I have never seen the GG crack like the 800 in the picture, but as it was pointed out, curved glass presents awkward angles at which the glass is vulnerable. I hate Invisible Shields, mainly because they never sit perfectly, and the adhesive, after several months, start to turn color around the edges. I definitely don't want to otterbox the Lumia 900, so I may settle for invisible shield. I will still lay it face down, because I can deal with a minor screen scratch, but camera lens scratches are a big no-no.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
My Nokia N8 screen is very scuffed up, mainly because I usually keep it face down because of the back camera module doesn't allow it to sit level. I don't think Gorilla Glass is that great of glass, because I have seen too many shattered screens claiming to have GG. I have one huge scratch on the screen from dropping it from my hand to the desk (about 0.25 M) and have numerous other smaller scratches from not using a case. I have never seen the GG crack like the 800 in the picture, but as it was pointed out, curved glass presents awkward angles at which the glass is vulnerable. I hate Invisible Shields, mainly because they never sit perfectly, and the adhesive, after several months, start to turn color around the edges. I definitely don't want to otterbox the Lumia 900, so I may settle for invisible shield. I will still lay it face down, because I can deal with a minor screen scratch, but camera lens scratches are a big no-no.

The camera setup on the 900 looks to be much the same as that of the 800, meaning that the lens is recessed slightly. Unless you set it on gravel, it'll probably be fine on it's back.

Also iirc the 900 doesn't have the curved glass so it should be as shatter resistant as any other flat screened GG using phone.

L

lumic

Again, dropping them from roughly the same height and them landing in roughly the same way means zilch. The 800 could have just hit at the wrong angle.

And FYI, something similar to this happened with my buddies HD2 back when it first came out. HTC themselves SENT him a replacement screen. That right there is customer support.
Was is grey imported? If so, very rare case and kudos to HTC. I don't see why they'd send him a screen though, why would they expect the consumer to replace the screen themselves?

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Its all about luck (or bad luck) of the fall.

Im sure for every 3 foot drop story, you'll hear "i ran over my phone with my car and screen is still good" story.

Yep, this.

There a nigh on millions of ways a phone can hit the deck, you just happened to get the worst way. Yes your Note survived a similar fall, but it's impact was different and that's all it takes.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Must of been an unlucky impact angle on the screen. I've dropped my 800 from about the same height (total moment of terror), with no signs of damage anywhere on it.

If they aren't accepting it at the service center, I'd say go onto twitter, contact some other Nokia reps directly. Even try some Microsoft reps. They'll want to avoid any bad attention, and maybe even jump on it to show how much they're "putting people first".

blackhawk7188

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Simply put dont drop your cell phone unless it is a Pre or Texas Instruments calculator. Both bounce nicely from flying out my convertible on accident and never even shut off....lol

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It looks to me like there are at least two distinct localized impact points from that photo, possibly as many as 4. The upper right and lower left seem pretty obvious. I could be wrong but with the way the glass is spider webbed in multiple directions from each of those impact points it looks more like it was struck in those locations (or crushed) as opposed to having simply fallen to the floor. Or perhaps it fell and struck some other object(s) as opposed to the bare floor. I'm not exactly calling BS on this but to me the photo leads me to believe that there's more to the story.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It looks to me like there are at least two distinct localized impact points from that photo, possibly as many as 4. The upper right and lower left seem pretty obvious.

I would agree. Clearly you can tell it hit hardest in the top left, then bottom right.

Now, if the bouncing story were true...a phone would bounce up maybe 2 inches? So the bottom right impact was from a 2 inch drop? Really? 1st thought that pops into my mind is the fact that the 800 has GG is a straight up lie! I have never seen a GG phone completely shatter like that and there is that one company selling screen protectors that literally throws phones around, haha

I would have a lot of sympathy until the OP started throwing around the "HTC IS GREAT, NEVER BUYING A NOKIA AGAIN" hoping to catch someone's attention. :dry

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
All I can say is wow. Brings a tear to my Lumia 800's eye to see it's fellow brother totally messed up like that. I'll make sure to take extra care of it now ;)

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It looks to me like there are at least two distinct localized impact points from that photo, possibly as many as 4. The upper right and lower left seem pretty obvious. I could be wrong but with the way the glass is spider webbed in multiple directions from each of those impact points it looks more like it was struck in those locations (or crushed) as opposed to having simply fallen to the floor. Or perhaps it fell and struck some other object(s) as opposed to the bare floor. I'm not exactly calling BS on this but to me the photo leads me to believe that there's more to the story.

If it was just a sheet of glass dropped, you'd probably be right. But this was a curved sheet of glass attached to something else and secured all around the edge. The secondary "impact" point(s) could be where the screen was under the most tension - fine when the force on the glass was evenly spread, but as soon as that changed on impact where the pressure was released at one point it could have given out elsewhere too. And the corners are where the curves are on the 800 screen, as well as where they're held most by the casing, so likely are the highest points of surface tension.

I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Simply put dont drop your cell phone unless it is a Pre or Texas Instruments calculator. Both bounce nicely from flying out my convertible on accident and never even shut off....lol

lol holy crap I thought I was the only one! Lol had my pre on the touchstone playing in my aw11 mr2, apparently the touchstone can't handle a lateral g and wooosh! Right out the passenger window on track day lol

nick here and there, no scratches though, thing bounced for 60+ feet lol. I have a pre3 now as my daily till the 900 or t2 come out, I'm MUCH more cautious with the pre3, the pre got thrown around like it was a wiffle ball for years

gave the Mrs the ff and she has dropped it a ton, no issues at all

Oronolek

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I would agree. Clearly you can tell it hit hardest in the top left, then bottom right.

Now, if the bouncing story were true...a phone would bounce up maybe 2 inches? So the bottom right impact was from a 2 inch drop? Really? 1st thought that pops into my mind is the fact that the 800 has GG is a straight up lie! I have never seen a GG phone completely shatter like that and there is that one company selling screen protectors that literally throws phones around, haha

I would have a lot of sympathy until the OP started throwing around the "HTC IS GREAT, NEVER BUYING A NOKIA AGAIN" hoping to catch someone's attention. :dry

Never said HTC is great, actually I don't like them at all lol. Just using an incident from the past as a comparison.

And for people that for whatever reason think there's more to the story, why would there be? I'm not trying to get anything for free here while holding back info, just warning people that one drop and a slide from 3 feet is all it takes to destroy this thing.

A little update: Nokia kept sending me in circles so I just gave up. Have a friend bringing a screen back from Hong Kong, so i'm probably gonna fix it and then sell it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)