Lumia 800 upgrade advice

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I know this has been touched on in other threads but I'd like some advice from the WP7 community if possible. I enter my upgrade window on Monday 27th. The day of MWC as I'm sure you all know. I'm slightly bewitched by the Lumia 800 Cyan, read all about the battery issues both here and on the Nokia support page (700+ comments and counting) but I still think it's the phone for me. The 900 screen is too big, I've looked at the Nexus as well and it's massive! Far too big for slipping a jeans pocket. The Lumia looks just about right and it's got more or less the same specs as the 900 (I've never used a FFC in my life even on phones that have had one so I won't miss that). Had a play with the Luma and I like the OS, smooth as any I've seen. So, here's the quandary; upgrade day is 27th, MWC is 27th. I fly out of the country with work for an extended period on 28th. What are the odds that I get the phone, get locked into another 2 year cycle and MWC makes some kind of announcement that in the next quarter the phone is going to be surpassed in both hardware (which isn't a massive concern) and software (this one is) as it can't get WP8. Part of the appeal of this phone aside from looks and current OS is the prospect of a linked eco system (WP8, Windows 8, Xbox Live).... Do I make the leap?

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
These upgrade windows are not hard and fast I am with Orange at home and we get the oportunity to start talking upgrades 3 months before the contract expires. If I do not upgrade the contract runs on as is until I pick up the phone.

I have the 800 and for looks and OS it has what it takes is spades. If you are aware of the battery issues some of us have then I doubt you will be dissapointed it will still look good in another 2 years time.

The problem with waiting and I think you can just wait until after the show and your upgrade will still be yours to take is that they may announce things but few of them will be ready right now. It is unlikely anything will be announced that would impact your decision right now so I say to **** with them all upgrade and get the 800.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Orange too, the key problem here is that I won't be in the country after the 27th so waiting for MWC announcements would mean weeks, maybe months before I can upgrade if I don't do it on 27th.

Oh, and I've got a laggy, locking, buggy, infuriating Orange San Francisco currently so that's what I'd be left with...

Last edited:

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is already going to announce something, everyone knows that. Heck, they may announce multiple devices. But it will be a while until anyone can get their hands on it.

At this point, its safe to say that getting the 800 will suit you just fine for the long term. Heck, the 800 has already been surpassed by the 900 with LTE and a FFC alone. But if hardware advancements are not important to you, you should be just fine with the 800. After Microsoft's push toward a non-fragmented platform, I cannot imagine that they would not put Windows Phone 8 on every device that can handle it, and I'm sure Nokia's series of devices would be chief among those to get any future software updates.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I just bought a Lumia 800 (Black) on e-bay for ?225 (impulse buy). I currently have a Samsung Omnia 7 since launch and don't really have a reason for an upgrade. My contract finishes in April so I can get another phone through the contract upgrade. My question is how bad is this battery problem? Not sure if I should keep the phone or sell it. Perhaps I should have waited for the Lumia 900 but I really don't think there is much between them apart from the larger screen. Am I better holding off till a Windows Phone 8 Nokia phone?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I just bought a Lumia 800 (Black) on e-bay for ?225 (impulse buy). I currently have a Samsung Omnia 7 since launch and don't really have a reason for an upgrade. My contract finishes in April so I can get another phone through the contract upgrade. My question is how bad is this battery problem? Not sure if I should keep the phone or sell it. Perhaps I should have waited for the Lumia 900 but I really don't think there is much between them apart from the larger screen. Am I better holding off till a Windows Phone 8 Nokia phone?

The fix is being rolled out as we speak.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Update: So I got the Lumia and is was fantastic. I say 'was' as it died on me over the weekend. 30% battery left, vibrated once then turned off. No amount of coaxing could restore it (and I looked at all the forums about charging tip, laptop connecting, heating etc). Orange customer services were excellent and shipped a new one to me at work this morning. I got the diagnostics app (new version as it has a disclaimer and no detailed battery info) and now my battery charge full is showing as 981 mAh where on my last handset it was in the 1400mh region... have I now got a duff handset and will have to wait on the firmware update? My last one wasn't too bad with the battery life.

Further update: Lady from Orange said the replacement would come with the latest updates but I checked and it hadn't. Connected to Zune and got the latest version of the OS coupled with the latest (for Orange) firmware. Battery now showing 59% charged when it was showing fully charged before and capacity is now at 1400 again so all good. Can access full battery capability and discharge rate is down.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb