New Lumia 800 firmware coming soon (battery and camera fix + more?)

pwaikon

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Updated my Lumia 800 to .12070 three days ago and I couldn't be happier about the battery life :D This firmware update really does what it says: it improves Lumia 800's battery life :cool:. My current battery status is:

Battery left: 4%

Estimated time left: 1 hour

Time elapsed since last charge: 2 days

That last part is the most important one, before updating to .12070 I only got battery cycle of 1 day + few hours every time I used the phone, even if I idled it most of the cycle.

So this is HUGE improvement to that and I'm one really happy Lumia 800 user right now :D

grasshoper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeaah, french Lumia 800 updated to 12070 today. Good news since I thought the update was coming later this month here.

Give me the prolonged battery life :D

Siat

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this is a problem unique to me or if it is a common problem that hasn't been discussed yet. When I first updated my phone to the new firmware the battery life increased by a lot, by the time I went to bed the phone would have around 40% battery life which was very good in my opinion as it would usually be in critical mode.

After a few days the battery life was getting worse, instead of going to bed with 40% battery life I would end up with 20% and the next day 15%.... (With 3G & wifi always ON)
Looked around at the forums and found nothing, I redownloaded the diagnostics app, when I first installed the new firmware the discharge rate would be around 80mA and would occasionally spike to 250mA. When I started encountering the battery problem the discharge rate was 300 - 350mA constant and occasionally going down to 80mA.

I tried a hard reset and being careful what apps to download but to no avail. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any ideas how this can be solved?

Many thanks in advance! :)

P.S. : Still think its an awesome phone, just need to fix that battery!

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this is a problem unique to me or if it is a common problem that hasn't been discussed yet. When I first updated my phone to the new firmware the battery life increased by a lot, by the time I went to bed the phone would have around 40% battery life which was very good in my opinion as it would usually be in critical mode.

After a few days the battery life was getting worse, instead of going to bed with 40% battery life I would end up with 20% and the next day 15%.... (With 3G & wifi always ON)
Looked around at the forums and found nothing, I redownloaded the diagnostics app, when I first installed the new firmware the discharge rate would be around 80mA and would occasionally spike to 250mA. When I started encountering the battery problem the discharge rate was 300 - 350mA constant and occasionally going down to 80mA.

I tried a hard reset and being careful what apps to download but to no avail. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any ideas how this can be solved?

Many thanks in advance! :)

P.S. : Still think its an awesome phone, just need to fix that battery!
Is there any reason in particular that you need both to be be always on? If I have 3G turned on for any length of time it devours my battery. I assume it's because even if I'm away from home (and therefore wifi) I'm usually indoors somewhere else and the lack of reception puts extra strain on it.

You can get a free app called Toggle that lets you pin shortcuts to connection options. I used the one called "double bill" that takes you to Network first then WiFi second and just turn 3G on when I need it.

I know that doesn't directly address your problem, but your battery life is about what I would expect really, especially with two of the most energy draining services enabled at all times.

Siat

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there any reason in particular that you need both to be be always on? If I have 3G turned on for any length of time it devours my battery. I assume it's because even if I'm away from home (and therefore wifi) I'm usually indoors somewhere else and the lack of reception puts extra strain on it.

You can get a free app called Toggle that lets you pin shortcuts to connection options. I used the one called "double bill" that takes you to Network first then WiFi second and just turn 3G on when I need it.

I know that doesn't directly address your problem, but your battery life is about what I would expect really, especially with two of the most energy draining services enabled at all times.

Thanks for the reply, but my main problem is that when I had first updated the firmware both wifi and 3G were always ON so I'm expecting the battery to remain as good as it was previously. Having only 3G on instead of both of them does not really have any effect although marginally better. By any chance what is your current drain with both of them ON? I know I'm clutching at straws but do I need to restart the phone every now and then to keep the current discharge as it once was?

Thanks once again!

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but my main problem is that when I had first updated the firmware both wifi and 3G were always ON so I'm expecting the battery to remain as good as it was previously. Having only 3G on instead of both of them does not really have any effect although marginally better. By any chance what is your current drain with both of them ON? I know I'm clutching at straws but do I need to restart the phone every now and then to keep the current discharge as it once was?

Thanks once again!
With both on - 220-230mAh
Both off - 60-80mAh
Wifi only - 70-90mAh
3G only - 190-210mAh

philheaton

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
@Siat - I have exactly the same problem. The battery life appears to become less as time goes by. After a hard reset, the phone will last about 24hrs. However, over time (days) the phone will last less and less. I'm now a week after my last hard reset and the battery didn't even last till 3pm today. I've purposely not added any extra apps since the last reset so I could eliminate any rogue third party drainers. Its irritating to say the least.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Siat

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
@mprice86: those values seem to be on par with mine...Do you get a full day out of your lumia with moderate use? Didn't people claim that their battery drain on 3g is 70-90mA meaning that our values our using more than double the battery drain. My problem isn't the value per se but it is showing this in real life usage.

@Siat - I have exactly the same problem. The battery life appears to become less as time goes by. After a hard reset, the phone will last about 24hrs. However, over time (days) the phone will last less and less. I'm now a week after my last hard reset and the battery didn't even last till 3pm today. I've purposely not added any extra apps since the last reset so I could eliminate any rogue third party drainers. Its irritating to say the least.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

@philheaton: Is that on 3g only? Lasting 24 hours is what I expect the battery life to be, but it seems as though as more time passes the battery life just diminishes. By any chance did you try contacting Nokia? It seems to be something software related as the hardware is capable of giving us a full day of usage after a hard reset (i.e. whenever I did a hard reset and installed 3rd party apps this did not really have any huge effect on the battery life) I have tried many "tricks" to reduce the drain, setting the time manually, setting my service provider manually, removing xbox live updates... Nothing really helps...

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
@mprice86: those values seem to be on par with mine...Do you get a full day out of your lumia with moderate use? Didn't people claim that their battery drain on 3g is 70-90mA meaning that our values our using more than double the battery drain. My problem isn't the value per se but it is showing this in real life usage.

Well as I said I rarely turn 3G on, only as needed.

With my normal setting of Wifi only I get about 2 days out of it with moderate use. If you like I'll do a full charge tonight and stick WiFi+3G in the morning and let you know how long it lasts. I'll make a bet now and say about 16 hours.

Siat

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well as I said I rarely turn 3G on, only as needed.

With my normal setting of Wifi only I get about 2 days out of it with moderate use. If you like I'll do a full charge tonight and stick WiFi+3G in the morning and let you know how long it lasts. I'll make a bet now and say about 16 hours.

If you could it would be really helpful just to see if my expectations are too high or not. I deleted the diagnostics app as a Nokia moderator said it might have an effect (i.e. worse battery life) Thanks once again :)

patters

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you disable the Xbox Live connectivity? As soon as I did that my battery life dramatically improved. I was barely getting to mid afternoon at that point, and was considering returning the handset. I think the Xbox thing must keep polling too aggressively or something. I'm not yet on 12070 (11500 I think) and I leave Wifi and 3G on all the time. I think disabling these as a 'solution' is pretty pointless on a smartphone.

My phone currently always lasts a day, and occasionally runs out before bed time if I have used it intensively. So hopefully it will be much improved when T-Mobile UK finally pull their finger out and approve the 12070 update. I'm looking forward to actually being able to use the headphones for music too. I honestly cannot understand how the Lumia made it onto the market with the headphone output sounding so utterly cack.

Siat

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you disable the Xbox Live connectivity? As soon as I did that my battery life dramatically improved. I was barely getting to mid afternoon at that point, and was considering returning the handset. I think the Xbox thing must keep polling too aggressively or something. I'm not yet on 12070 (11500 I think) and I leave Wifi and 3G on all the time. I think disabling these as a 'solution' is pretty pointless on a smartphone.

My phone currently always lasts a day, and occasionally runs out before bed time if I have used it intensively. So hopefully it will be much improved when T-Mobile UK finally pull their finger out and approve the 12070 update. I'm looking forward to actually being able to use the headphones for music too. I honestly cannot understand how the Lumia made it onto the market with the headphone output sounding so utterly cack.

Yes yes I disabled Xbox live connectivity but this did not have any effect, I also set the time and network manually..I have both wifi and 3g ON all the time. The phone has been on for 12hours and is at 23% at the moment, this means that it barely lasts me through a whole day and this is without use!

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes yes I disabled Xbox live connectivity but this did not have any effect, I also set the time and network manually..I have both wifi and 3g ON all the time. The phone has been on for 12hours and is at 23% at the moment, this means that it barely lasts me through a whole day and this is without use!
Well, I ran my test today, 3G and WiFi all day and got 13 hours before the phone hit 30% and battery saver kicked in. That was with what I would call moderate use, i.e. about 20-30 texts, some web browsing, a few check ins on foursquare and intermittent Words by Post.

It's less than I expected, but still manageable as I'll be going to bed shortly anyway. The problem being that a normal day for me will be 18 hours or so and the phone just isn't going to last with both enabled for that length of time.

However, when I consider that with 3G off (or only turned on when I need it) and WiFi on I get about 48-60 hours out of the phone; it really becomes evident how much juice 3G requires.

I want to be clear that I'm not complaining about the battery life; as I've said, I rarely use the 3G unless I'm out and about and want to check/do something and that's a solution that works for me that I'm perfectly happy with.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Right where I'm sitting now I get full mobile signal, but the data connection would swap between GPRS, Edge, 3G and HSPA for a lot of the day. Same goes for when I'm in college, it's a fairly large building so I'll usually only get GPRS in hallways and 3G/HSPA in rooms if I sit near a window.

I'm fully aware that it is more than likely the sub-par data connection in my area (outskirts of a small town) that is putting extra strain on the battery. I'm confident that if I was located in a big city the problem would be significantly less.

That said I really have no problem turning 3G on and off as needed, I have the link right there on my home screen and it takes about 2 seconds. I did the same thing on my android phones to conserve battery as well. I am perhaps lucky in that I don't rank emails or other notifications as important (if it was important they would call), so being constantly connected is non-essential.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb